• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments Further on Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Search the world over and count the number of 10 year old girls with massive breasts. Probably could count them on one hand. Do the same thing with 18 year old women with no breasts at all. There are millions of them.

Wait, what? How does that make any sort of sense at all as an argument?
Well I'd take it as an opinion that Vampire Bund is fine as it originally is. Having girls with huge breasts who are only 10 years old run around topless is so offensive they don't even exist. Which shows it's age that really matters, not breast size. So as long as a girl is 20, 40 or 400 it doesn't matter if she has 1/4 A-cup or DDD-cup.
http://humorsection.blogspot.com/2007/01/funny-bra-cup-sizes.html
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
configspace wrote:
Actually I think he makes a valid point. It just goes to show you how concerned people are over appearances alone, perhaps even more so for fictional depictions, whatever the facts may be.

Search the world over and count the number of 10 year old girls with massive breasts. Probably could count them on one hand. Do the same thing with 18 year old women with no breasts at all. There are millions of them.

Wait, what? How does that make any sort of sense at all as an argument?

Because the human brain jumps to conclusions. And people that might have the power to do something about it might not even care to look at something as silly as anime objectively. That's why. For crying out loud some people in this thread think FUNi is the devil incarnate for what they are (or might be) doing. All they are doing it looking out for their asses. If something like this became a problem for FUNi it wouldn't be a small problem. It would be very large expensive problem. So some of you need to think more with your brains and not your misguided sense of injustice, and lighten up a little bit about why FUNi has this problem. I am not saying it is right (as in all things right in this world), but it is understandable. Any company would be concerned in light of recent litigation. And they were probably negotiating this title way before a jail time sentence was handed out for drawings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
My apologies if it seemed I jumped the gun but it looked to me the "=" used was to imply he was charged on obscenity.

He was. He was charged under Chapter 1466 - Obscenity. 1466(A) must be defined as a sub-section of the obscenity code because it carries different penalties, but the material must still be obscene. It's a required element of the offense in order for the law to be constitutional at all.

The other elements are that the imagery depict a character under the age of 18 ("minor" - defined elsewhere in US Code), and that the minor be depicted engaging in "explicit sexual conduct". This is not something anyone need to guess at. It is defined separately at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002256----000-.html#2_A.

That list of sexual conducts is what Funimation will be looking for in making decisions about whether other imagery might violation the law or not. They will not care that the character is defined in the story as being hundreds of years old, and they will not care that their own expressed opinion of the story suggests that it would survive the Miller Test easily. If they encounter any of those things, they'll edit them out or make them "less graphic".

And it would be the right decision for them to do so.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been gone for 13 weeks and come back to find this. This was a series I was looking forward to watching, and although I'm not happy to find the only legal way to watch it is edited, so long as the DVD/BD version is unedited (and the show itself is good), I'll buy it. I trust Funimation won't disappoint in releasing an unedited version for sale.
The_Q

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
My apologies if it seemed I jumped the gun but it looked to me the "=" used was to imply he was charged on obscenity.

He was. He was charged under Chapter 1466 - Obscenity. 1466(A) must be defined as a sub-section of the obscenity code because it carries different penalties, but the material must still be obscene. It's a required element of the offense in order for the law to be constitutional at all.

The other elements are that the imagery depict a character under the age of 18 ("minor" - defined elsewhere in US Code), and that the minor be depicted engaging in "explicit sexual conduct". This is not something anyone need to guess at. It is defined separately at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002256----000-.html#2_A.

That list of sexual conducts is what Funimation will be looking for in making decisions about whether other imagery might violation the law or not. They will not care that the character is defined in the story as being hundreds of years old, and they will not care that their own expressed opinion of the story suggests that it would survive the Miller Test easily. If they encounter any of those things, they'll edit them out or make them "less graphic".

And it would be the right decision for them to do so.

Well, after reading 6 volumes of the manga (which this is adapted from! Shocked ), released uncut via Seven Seas, I can safety say that we literally have nothing to worry about. Unless Shaft decides to throw in a random sex scene out of nowhere, we're pretty much safe, even more si given that they said the edited scenes currently are without issue.

But you don't have to take my word from it, you can easily check out the manga in your bookstores if you want a preview of what's to come.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
As long as they're unedited on the DVDs/BDs, I'll buy it. It doesn't matter if they're edited on the streaming or broadcast, but not on the DVDs/BDs.

But please, next time, Funi, do not recklessly post any comments regarding edited versions BEFORE unedited versions on the Internet. :/
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
To paraphrase Margaret Mead:

Quote:
Never doubt that a small group of committed, insane citizens can make life difficult for the rest of us…

Of course, which group of insane citizens to apply this too is the hard part....
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Of course, which group of insane citizens to apply this too is the hard part....
I have far more fun trying to figure out exactly who "the rest of us" are.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not about the anime, but after reading volume 4 of the manga I'm going to attempt to make a point. BTW, said volume is a riveting story arc. True to vampire form, this show has graphic slaughter alongside its strong politics angle. I wonder how violent the anime will dare to be. Funimation was apparently worried about how graphic the male-female lotion-applying bit was. It seems that now they are taking reasonable steps to satisfy all fans with the upcoming DVD release. I mean, it was going to be a losing battle for them once spoiler[Mina's surprise Virginity Test on vol. 4, complete with bed stirrups for a pelvic examination, came about.] Shocked
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I want to get central to this issue about FUNimations actions, or the just the whole censoring matter, being done because it adheres with U.S. Law. Earlier in the other thread I said that the power of the consumer supersedes that of the government AND U.S. Law. PetrifiedJello clearly refuted it and claimed that such a thing has never happened. Am I really incorrect in this that the law is an unchallengeable doctrine? When in America and Constitutionally we see it most certainly IS NOT.

People speak up for legalizing same-sex marriage but it remains up to the constitutional declaration of individual states. That is ultimately up to the majority of voters, which is likely to lead the ban being overturned in the future. My point is that law is fluid and entirely vulnerable to vocal outcries from a minority or majority that their freedoms are being compromised. It is NOT the people, aka consumers, who should be subject to victimization by the Law.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Am I really incorrect in this that the law is an unchallengeable doctrine?

Through a corporation, yes, you are wrong. I've said it before, but if you want laws to change, take the fight to the proper battle.

The choice FUNimation took was not censorship. Something about the scene shook their foundation and is causing them great concern.

This fear could very well have stemmed from the Handley case in which the PROTECT Act was used, in my opinion, illegally against him. As a corporation, FUNimation must ensure their actions will not be the subject of similar prosecution.

FUNimation has every right to edit this scene. Hell, for all we know, Gen Fukunaga could have been fan subbing the series, viewed the scene, then said "Hell no! We will not sell this shit to our customers!"

Without FUNimation's official position on the edit, we can speculate until the end of time the reasons.

Regardless, FUNimation has every right to do with its products as it sees fit. It is important to remember this product is being sold in the United States.

The same country in which 5 million people reported their objections of obscenity to a "wardrobe malfunction" during a popular sporting event. And that's just a nipple. Imagine what they'll do over the depiction of a little girl getting fondled by a grown man in cartoon form.

I will not fault FUNimation for making an edit decision rather than be the reason why 5 million people call to complain about another obscene view.

Quote:
My point is that law is fluid and entirely vulnerable to vocal outcries from a minority or majority that their freedoms are being compromised.

Yet with all those letters sent to FUNimation, not a single law was repealed.

Quote:
It is NOT the people, aka consumers, who should be subject to victimization by the Law.

The edit is not victimizing people and I find it audacious you even said this. Are you purposely trying to rile people up so you can continue this pointless discussion further?

I'm not sure what your age is, but from my perspective, you still have quite a bit of growing up to do. This isn't meant to be insulting, but honest. Your position on the edit matter shows you weren't willing to compromise, understand the party's position, and now continue to use real world examples which don't even relate to the topic at hand.

If you're looking for a fight... wait, I think that's my mom calling. I have to go. See you tomorrow if you're not grounded.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm not sure what your age is, but from my perspective, you still have quite a bit of growing up to do. This isn't meant to be insulting, but honest. Your position on the edit matter shows you weren't willing to compromise, understand the party's position, and now continue to use real world examples which don't even relate to the topic at hand.
Well if you want to bring age into it I'm not going to entertain your silly little quibble by even indicating what my age is, because regardless of what it is (who knows, I may even be close to your age) I have a mindset that is flexible to the concerns of younger generations and modern viewpoints, unlike dinosaurs like you where your age REALLY SHOWS in the words that you use.

And furthermore I don't see how what I expressed was an unwillingness to compromise. My position is the compromise: to keep the edits as they are on the streaming version but encourage the suggestion (not demand - I wrote a letter to them and demanded nothing) to release an uncensored DVD. Your unwillingness to offer the possibility that Funimation could release an unedited DVD because to do so would be unquestionably in violation of the law (it's not) is where the lack of compromise exists.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Past,

I pretty much agree with your stance: I think Funimation ought to release the DVD uncensored.

Funimation has whatever legal rights were given to it by the Japanese company from whom they purchased the license to publish it. So, I expect that if they need to protect themselves from possible legal action, they will utilize what means they have to mitigate or prevent any such actions. However, that doesn't mean that censoring is the right thing to do, only that it may be the legally prudent thing to do. These are not the same things.

I think it is perfectly mature that, if someone does something you do not want them to do, you do not reward them for doing it.

As for The Law: the Handley case did not set a precident. The Judicial Branch hasn't determined if these laws are actually constitutional. Handley pleaded guilty, and the case never far enough to base any precident off of it; certainly it never made it to the Supreme Court, who has the final say in such matters.

Funimation probably doesn't want to deal with the time, expense, and public relations issues that taking an obscenity case to the US Supreme Court would likely entail. But it's pretty likely that *someone* will get indicted on this and fight it all the way to the top, and then we'll know.

And as someone who is older than most, I didn't find your posts to be immature at all.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
So the loli lobby can see their 300 year old vampires housed in naked little girls afterall. All's well with the world again.

there, corrected Laughing
Oh I see! Well that makes all the difference then! not Rolling Eyes
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Well if you want to bring age into it...

Before you get upset, I didn't mean anything rude about this. It's just from my position, the "young ones" are taking up a fight I've long walked away from given it's pointless to me. ME. Not you. Not your next door neighbor. ME. Thus, whether the DVD was edited or not, I don't care. You do. I respect that. Hence, your fight.

I interject and tell you (and others) that you're fighting the wrong battle, and you turn and try to tell me otherwise. Past, you're full of yourself and I'm pretty damn tired of you telling me how things work. I know better. I know telling a company to not edit the DVD isn't a fight. It's a child asking for candy.

Now, when you (and others) decide to take this fight to where it belongs, I'll be more than happy to stand in line with musket in hand. But not here. It's a stupid waste of energy.

I'm sorry you don't get my position, nor understand it, but do know I'm not surprised by this.

Quote:
I have a mindset that is flexible to the concerns of younger generations and modern viewpoints

I disagree with this only because your words are nothing short of those a screaming child in a check-out line uttering "GIMME! I DON'T CARE! GIMME! WAAAAAAA."

Quote:
unlike dinosaurs like you where your age REALLY SHOWS in the words that you use.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote:
And furthermore I don't see how what I expressed was an unwillingness to compromise.

Of course you don't. It's because you're focusing on an issue which doesn't exist. Then, to make matters worse, you bring forth real world examples which bear no similarities to the issue at hand. It's no wonder you can't see it.

Quote:
My position is the compromise: to keep the edits as they are on the streaming version but encourage the suggestion (not demand - I wrote a letter to them and demanded nothing) to release an uncensored DVD.

That is not a compromise to the issue, Past. At all. The issue, since you seem to have forgotten it, is the scene. NOT the edit. There, does this help? Do you feel you understand FUNimation's position? That's the best I can do to assist.

Quote:
Your unwillingness to offer the possibility that Funimation could release an unedited DVD because to do so would be unquestionably in violation of the law (it's not) is where the lack of compromise exists.

This remark is idiocy in its grandest. I accept the edit, yet it's me who is not compromising.

Well, that pretty much closes this avenue of discussion. If I wanted to talk to a wall, I've one right behind me. No reason to do it virtually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11