• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Rated this as Very Good.

We probably won't get a second season, which is a shame because the longer this show went on the better it got. The first half - while not exactly weak - was unimpressive and things didn't really gel. The aesops were too clumsy and just devolved into rather insipid moralising. However, once the show found its footing it put out a well-written and surprisingly enjoyable second half, and the social commentary became a lot sharper and insightful.

Hachiman was an interesting character. Intelligent, perceptive and cynical, he had a negative view of the world but was still essentially a good guy at heart. He was a breath of fresh air in the stale Harem genre and successfully differentiated himself from the usual weak-willed idiotic lead characters. And make no mistake, this is indeed a Harem show. It's just that this is a smart one that isn't afraid to take risks and doesn't need to rely on fanservice in order to be watchable.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
very enjoyable bonus episode. Liked Hachiman's views on life and his way of doing things. Get's an Excellent.

dtm, who else are you including in the harem besides Yui and Yukino?
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good series overall. Hachiman was cynical but not full of self pity, aka emo. He has an "I'm used to it" perspective on his current social status and takes things (maybe even accepts things) the way they are. Surprisingly consistent too; the author wasn't trying to make him "grow out" of his current situation, sending a message to the viewers about how it's not good to be cynical or something like that. I'm not a huge fan of stories where a message or moral of the story is obviously being fed to the audience, so I like that they didn't go there.

I'm not seeing a strong classical harem design. Many female characters played minor roles and weren't very associated with the MC, much less as a love interest. There are also 2-3 distinctive male characters who kind of balance the M:F ratio a little better than other shows. And yes, Totsuka included as a part of the male cast, but not as a part of a harem since the feelings between him and the MC actually in reverse. Razz Probably a love triangle at most, but even Yukino keeps her poker face on most of the time so it's a little more subtle.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
dtm, who else are you including in the harem besides Yui and Yukino?

Although they aren't love interests per se, there's the effeminate boy, the teacher, and Yukino's sister (just woke up, blanking on names right now). I don't think Hachiman's sister fits the profile of a Harem imouto, but she's clearly there for viewers to ogle.

This show isn't as strongly a Harem series as say Da Capo, but there's definitely some elements.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
This series is something of a surprise to me since it's probably the only school-related thing that I'm able to stomach and even enjoy in several years. It just has brains. I doubt it did well in sales and I don't really see it getting another season, which is a pity, because it would need a good resolution.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think the show has had as much resolution as it will get or need. Life goes on, they continue in the club and in due course graduate. They will go their separate ways.

This was too close to real to benefit from some tidy wrap-up.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
It would indeed be too convenient for a pairing or anything like romantic comedies usually do. But it doesn't make for good entertainment, and well, it needs some forward movement. I guess I should've said more growth, rather than a good resolution, - they did well to explore the mindset of the characters, and what comes next is seeing how they change during these three years (hopefully, become better people? although they would likely march towards being more integrated into their dreary society, but let's stay away from those negatives...). I just don't like to see budding potential get wasted.

The BL interpretation of the Little Prince had me floored I must say Razz
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first tried to watch "My RomCom" a few month ago when it started airing. I dropped it without even giving it a chance because I already started HENNEKO and they seemed a little too similar in it's goal. Part of me is glad I did it as I had the advantage of watching it back to back, but the price of missing all the speculations and deconstructions sure hurt.

Anyway I just want to say this show is Awesome! The level of conversations present in the show are a head and shoulder above your average lines anywhere else. Hachiman's insight into social structure is a great source for comedy and drama alike and is the heart of the show. I simply love how well thought out and balanced the whole series is, from "mundane" conversations in clubroom to the beauty of natural progression of character development. A rare find indeed.

Excellent. Although it is not far from Masterpiece. The only confusing part of the series was the whole car accident we never really get to see. I somewhat understand how Yui and Hachiman would get to "you don't need to pay me back for anything" situation but I still wonder why exactly Hachiman and Yukino get awkward with each other around episode 9. I understand she was in the car when it happened but still, there are references to the events we, as audience, have not seen. And even though we learn more and more as the show progress it simply doesn't run long enough to provide any resolutions. Still I would take a "stop" over "crappy quick fix end" any day.

I want season two, and ovas. This series is so good it would be criminal not to continue it as I see a great deal of potential with where it could go.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
^
Yukino had hidden from Hachiman the fact that it was her car that hit him. And he in turn had put her on a pedestal thinking that she never lied and was perfect, and therefore was angry at her for keeping the truth to herself and not meeting his expectations. But he was even more disgusted at himself for even having such unfair expectations in the first place. After all, it wasn't her fault that her driver hit him - especially when he had run out in front of the car of his own volition - so she was under no obligation to say sorry or fess up. But of course she kind of felt there was an obligation anyway, even if none existed.

So basically, she was embarrassed at not being upfront about what had happened, and he was so angry at himself he couldn't face her properly. Hence, both of them physically and emotionally avoiding one another.

At least, that was my interpretation of the events.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
^

That makes sense... and I can't believe I missed it. Maybe it's the translation, or pacing, or I was simply tired since it was late when I watching it. Even more confusing was the revelation that Yukino's sister had know everything about the incident so I thought everyone did as well and, well that is why it is so confusing. I wonder if Yukino realized her hypocrisy and thus felt guilty on both accounts. Regardless, the resolution was beautiful. A completely natural and realistically gradual comeback to Hachiman/Yukino relationship is one of the many reasons why this show stands out.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
No problem. Glad I could help.

There were a couple of key scenes that helped explain what happened. The first is Yukino looking uncomfortable and avoiding Hachiman's eyes when her sister comes to pick her up in the car. For someone who prides herself on never lying, omitting the truth for so long must have been difficult. Secondly, Hachiman's monologue where he states that he's never hated himself before but that he despises himself now for being unfair to Yukino. As long as you pay attention to those scenes, it is understandable why they are avoiding one another.

And yeah, the subtle way they made up was really awesome. Instead of some big overblown apology scene we simply got Hachiman cleverly standing up for Yukino at the committee meetings and Yukino in return giving Hachiman an adorably cute smile.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
I just caught up with this anime and I rated it very good. I wouldn't mind seeing a second season but I think it would be hard to keep up the comedy.

I have one question, however. In the last episode was Hachiman actually rejected by Yukino or was that a misunderstanding?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
I don't remember her rejecting him. Not seriously anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
From my understanding he was going to ask if they can be friends, but again Yukino refused. I read somewhere that now she considers him an acquaintance, but what that means, I don't know. They always kept what she thinks kind of veiled.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
Yes, he was going to ask if they could be friends, and she rejected that. But she didn't reject him, just his offer. I took the scene to be humourous and non-serious; she does love to mock him after all. And it's clear that she's willing to put up with him, which for a girl like Yukino is huge. She wouldn't hang out with someone she didn't like. Even if she doesn't consider herself and Hachiman as friends, the fact that she is comfortable being around him indicates that he is already closer to her than almost everyone else bar Yui. One could make the case that they are as close to being friends with one another as two prickly snarky people can be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19