• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strife at IC Entertainment

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:46 am Reply with quote
SamGoody0491 wrote:
......Correct me if I'm wrong..... but a panel is an interview....
you ask questions... he answers.... Panel's are meant to Inform the fans AND News media of what that company is doing......

...you mean "tried" to call...

...heero IS NOT contesting the actual basis of the article, but the way it was addressed....

Not necessarily. A panel could be a company standing in front of a group of people, saying "This is our status" and then leaving. There doesn't have to be a question and answer session. (As a matter of fact, there was at least one con panels that IC didn't even bother to show up for.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:42 am Reply with quote
One thing I haven't explained as clearly as I might-I listen to NPR's Marketplace reports every morning and evening, and I read the Comics Journal's coverage of comics business news. So although I'm no expert, I'm familiar with business news formats. And the format of this interview fit, right on down the line, with business news SOP. Several times a month NPR concludes a muckraking story with "We tried to reach the President of the company, but he didn't return our calls." Everything people are challenging about the ANN-Ironcat story is normal in business news. Okay? Okay.

Oh yeah, "gossip." Gossip would be reporting on whom Stuart Levy is sleeping with. Reporting on his company's financial practices is business news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:38 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Actually, those quotes are from panels at conventions that Ironcat attended. ANN tried to *call* the people at IC....not just parrot back what was stated at a panel.

You do know how "informal" Anime convention panels are, right? And if you want to say that Otakon's are not, I again state that for the 3-4 weeks prior to ANN running the story, IC Entertainment, to my knowledge was at at least 3 conventions. My POINT is that if Kevin Lillard could get comments from Mr. Bennett (even if at a panel, altho Mr. Lillard's report says that "(Steve) Bennett spent the Otakon weekend trying to sell all of his accumulated inventory, to make enough money to get the small company through the summer money woes." I'd think ANN could have at least gotten some kind of comment from him at a table. My point is the article implies (but doesn't SAY) that the Bennetts were withholding money out of spite or some other personal reason, and the lack of comment makes it appear that they are "hiding". Considering their convention presence, I think that's a stretch, don't you?
I think if ANN was really interested in at least HAVING two sides to this story, SOMEONE could have talked to Ironcat.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:44 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

Actually, those quotes are from panels at conventions that Ironcat attended. ANN tried to *call* the people at IC....not just parrot back what was stated at a panel.

You do know how "informal" Anime convention panels are, right? And if you want to say that Otakon's are not, I again state that for the 3-4 weeks prior to ANN running the story, IC Entertainment, to my knowledge was at at least 3 conventions. My POINT is that if Kevin Lillard could get comments from Mr. Bennett (even if at a panel, altho Mr. Lillard's report says that "(Steve) Bennett spent the Otakon weekend trying to sell all of his accumulated inventory, to make enough money to get the small company through the summer money woes." I'd think ANN could have at least gotten some kind of comment from him at a table. My point is the article implies (but doesn't SAY) that the Bennetts were withholding money out of spite or some other personal reason, and the lack of comment makes it appear that they are "hiding". Considering their convention presence, I think that's a stretch, don't you?
I think if ANN was really interested in at least HAVING two sides to this story, SOMEONE could have talked to Ironcat.

Not if IC didn't want to talk about it. There's a difference between talking about the company having financial troubles (which they have said multiple times at multiple conventions) and talking about not paying your employees after they specifically requested payment (which was never talked about by IC until AnimeNEXT, where they said the entire staff is pretty much unpaid now). One makes you look like the good guy trying to save a small company and the other makes you look like a prick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:48 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
My point is the article implies (but doesn't SAY) that the Bennetts were withholding money out of spite or some other personal reason,

I'm sorry, but how in the world do you read it that way? A person would have to be shockingly naive to think such a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:46 am Reply with quote
Lemme rephrase that (I was a bit curt last post.) If your boss dislikes or even hates you, s/he might fire you, but s/he will pay you as long as you are on the payroll. No businessperson would withhold payment out of spite, so no one reading the interview could resonably interpret it that way. When companies don't pay employees, it's money troubles.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:03 pm Reply with quote
All bold emphasis is mine.

Quote:
For one thing, it was a general practice of the Bennetts to expect anyone interested in working at IC to work for free for a while. And it was like pulling teeth to even get paid.

Quote:
After AMA, we got our paychecks, with much grumbling from Steve. He acted like he didn't want to give us any money and that some of us didn't deserve to be paid. After that point he was always suspicious of Kei and Jason working from home. After THAT paycheck, another pay freeze was enacted. But the promise of several payments from distributors owed to the company was dangled like a carrot, and we stayed on, waiting for the money to come in so we could be paid. We continued to work, but on July 15th, I broke down and told Steve on AIM that I would quit at the end of the month if I didn't get paid. (I considered this my two weeks' notice, which both Bennetts claim no one did. I have a log of it, so I have proof I was going to quit on July 31st.) He talked me down, promising to catch up on paychecks some time after Otakon, relying on cash flow from cons.

Quote:
I had arranged with Steve that I would be paid beginning in December 2001. In April 2002, I still had not been paid. I fought and fought and finally got Steve to issue me backpay dating to December 2001, so effectively I went four months without pay, but half of it was retroactive. My pay rate was $2/page in each manga I did. Just for reference, industry standard is $5/page, 2.5 times what I made at IC. And there was a time when Steve tried to pay me even less

Quote:
May I add something very quickly? To clarify: while Kei was paying me via PayPal, it was Kevin who later denied me pay. Kei herself never denied me pay.

Quote:
No paychecks were written for anyone from June 16 to July 31, when we quit. So Duane, Jason Balduf, Kei, and myself were without pay for six weeks (three quarterly pay periods) Ellen was without pay for four months. She was paid a monthly freelance rate. And for most of July, Steve refused to write any checks—even for bills and creditors. His way of dealing with the finances was to try and ignore everyone asking for money owed to them. He was constantly putting us all off, including a printer.

Need I go on? There's still over half the "interview" to go. And for reference, the article NEVER says that IC explicitly refused to comment, it merely states that calls were unreturned. Combine that remark at the start of the article with Duane's assesment of Steve Bennett's business handling and one gets a certain impression. AND to dispute your claim Cassandra, the quote from the fansview report I referenced is from Otakon which was in early August, AnimeNEXT was two months later in October, and according to Mr. Lillard's report, Steve Bennett DID state at Otakon that people were not being paid. (it is quoted above)
(edit: sorry, the Otakon report quote about people not being paid is a page before, not "above")
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Sorry dude, but any reasonable adult reader will assume that the boss isn't paying because he doesn't have the money, even if they only read the bold print. Like I say, so far this is totally in line with the kind of reporting one sees in mainstream business news coverage. If you don't like it, you don't like the established standards and practices of business news.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:14 pm Reply with quote
LATE
HeeroTX wrote:
AND to dispute your claim Cassandra, the quote from the fansview report I referenced is from Otakon which was in early August, AnimeNEXT was two months later in October, and according to Mr. Lillard's report, Steve Bennett DID state at Otakon that people were not being paid. (it is quoted above)
(edit: sorry, the Otakon report quote about people not being paid is a page before, not "above")

IC did not attend their panel at Otakon. So any quotes would have been taken while Steve was at the IC booth. You can't really call that an "official" stand on anything. And as I read Kevin's report....it does NOT state that people were not being paid. It says
Quote:
Yes, some of the company's workers had left because paychecks were late
. Notice the word LATE. The people that are currently working at IC are basically volunteers....not getting paid, period.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Firstly:
cassandra: If Kevin Lillard got that information outside of a panel, it AGAIN proves my point, ANN COULD have gotten information from IC in another way. Or are you going to tell me that IC would comment to Kevin Lillard and NOT to ANN? Because if so, that to me is not a good commentary on ANN's press abilities.
As for the comment, yes it did say payments were late, but until payments are made, they ARE essentially "late". Unless IC actually makes some legal defaults on those payments, such they they are no longer required to make them, they are simply "late". If IC paid these people tomorrow, then those payments are "late". Again, I don't THINK (and I could be wrong) that these people are in danger of NEVER receiving their money. Duane and Stephanie COMBINED are apparently only owed less than $500, unless Ellen's backpay is massive, I think they will get their money.

Aaron White wrote:
Sorry dude, but any reasonable adult reader will assume that the boss isn't paying because he doesn't have the money, even if they only read the bold print.

So now let's play this:
masa wrote:
I don't understand why companies just have to screw their employees. It just doesn't make sense. They get you services you can use/sell, and you treat them like crap.

lyricaldanichan wrote:
They made a lot of promises they can't keep like for example the Evangelion Rapport Comics tankobans that they were raving that they got the rights to...That was about hmm 5-6 years ago LOL.

IC needs to close shop and sell off their licenses to either Tokyo Pop or Viz if they want to save some face. I would hate to think all that money they did have was wasted on "teabagging" and drunken con parties with jailbait cosplayers.

f9h600 wrote:
I've known just about all the employees of IC for a long time now, and from what they all tell me, no employee did anything to cause damage to any others. These actions were all taken and executed (and sometimes due to the neglect thereof) of the owners. Not to mention the fact that when you're an owner, there is NOTHING you don't and can't get access to. It's just a fact. I can't hide anything from my boss at work cept maybe my stash of m&ms, if he really wants to know something, he can just bust in, snatch up any of the books and that's that. So this whole "hide hide woe is us thing" is just the same old stuff ICs spat out since several years back.

Iron chef wrote:
Freakin' shysters.

takami826 wrote:
Not sure what's up with that whole 'we can't find anyone' deal. I see that on their forum and I refuse to comment on it. If I can find just about every AM creator with a quick search on google... Gee it's real hard to go to the creator's website and contact them that way, too. Doesn't say much to me about their willingness to do anything but whine.

Personally, I got fed up not getting a reply and honestly don't care anymore. They'll get what they deserve.

cassandra wrote:
However, I think it would be nice for Ironcat to formulate some sort of response. Right now all they have on their website is that they won't be commenting on it. It just kinda makes them look bad.

ranmah wrote:
I agree that the owner in question should have been more straight forward with the employees. This is something that should not be ignore and there are probably consequences.

Zac wrote:
The above post is the usual pabulum issued by a company that has A) done something very wrong, B) kinda admitted to it in a mealy-mouthed, noncommittal fashion and C) continue to refuse to explain, apologize or even try to fix the problems they've caused.

First 2 pages... (of THIS thread)
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:28 pm Reply with quote
What's your point? That if it's revealed that a company doesn't pay due wages, people assume that the company is being badly run by crummy businesspeople? That's a good assumption, and a far cry from your assertion that people would assume the boss wasn't paying out of spite.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Also, just glancing at the interview again, employee Stephanie points out that the boss hasn't been taking pay himself, so no careful reader could assume the boss wasn't paying out of spite.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
What's your point? That if it's revealed that a company doesn't pay due wages, people assume that the company is being badly run by crummy businesspeople? That's a good assumption, and a far cry from your assertion that people would assume the boss wasn't paying out of spite.

Quote:

Ellen: May I add something very quickly? To clarify: while Kei was paying me via PayPal, it was Kevin who later denied me pay. Kei herself never denied me pay

Quote:
As she said, I was unpaid for four months. I continued to work, however, because I loved my job and had faith the money would come. I realized other employees were being paid while I was not, but I wished the best for the company and did not quit until I could no longer afford to work, even with the promise of pay in the future.

Quote:
We heard sob stories on a regular basis. This is not well known, but not long before we left, Steve offered Stephanie and me cash handouts of $100 each, from earnings from a small con. We refused them for three reasons. It was cash, which is untraceable and shady for both sides. It was only offered to the two of us, not to Kei or Jason or Ellen. That's partiality, and it disgusted us. Third, what could we have done with a measly $100 each?

Quote:
I was also told that there was a lack of funds in the IC account to pay me. I was told this, of course, while other employees were still receiving pay.

Quote:
I've made attempts to have a date set for the remainder of the money, but I have not received a date from the Bennetts.

Quote:
At this point in time, all of us owed backpay (with the exception of Kei) have received one check. However, in every single case the amount on the check was lower than expected. We have not been offered a satisfactory reason as to why

(this one makes me think it's more a "reasoning" issue than a "money" issue?)
Quote:
In my eyes neither Kevin nor Steve have treated us with any true consideration, so I'm tired of being nice to the public about it.

If this is simply "IC is low on money" then WHY is there a discussion about why these people aren't getting backpay, if IC bank accounts are empty, the REASON should be clear!
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean this to sound nasty or mean-spirited, but I can't help thinking you're unfamiliar with business affairs in general. All of this adds up to a portrait of a broke businessman who doesn't know how to run a business, how to handle his business affairs. I live in Alabama, and I read coverage of Richard Scrushy's shady dealings in Healthsouth that's pretty much the same. Again, you're complaining about the kind of coverage one finds in award-winning mainstream business news. ANN has nothing to be ashamed of here.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Firstly:
cassandra: If Kevin Lillard got that information outside of a panel, it AGAIN proves my point, ANN COULD have gotten information from IC in another way. Or are you going to tell me that IC would comment to Kevin Lillard and NOT to ANN? Because if so, that to me is not a good commentary on ANN's press abilities.

The quotes that Kevin got were from Otakon...which was about a month before ANN states they attempted to contact IC. (They said three weeks before October 6 or so....which puts it around the beginning of September.) So obviously ANN wouldn't have asked him questions then. And I don't believe any ANN staff members attended any of the other conventions that Steve was at....so no, they couldn't have contacted him any other way.

Quote:

As for the comment, yes it did say payments were late, but until payments are made, they ARE essentially "late". Unless IC actually makes some legal defaults on those payments, such they they are no longer required to make them, they are simply "late". If IC paid these people tomorrow, then those payments are "late". Again, I don't THINK (and I could be wrong) that these people are in danger of NEVER receiving their money. Duane and Stephanie COMBINED are apparently only owed less than $500, unless Ellen's backpay is massive, I think they will get their money.

Actually...they should have been paid once their services were terminated. THAT is good business sense. If I quit my job tomorrow, I'm not going to wait a few months before I get my last paycheck. If my former company doesn't pay me, I'd be reporting them to any and all agencies necessary.

And yes, these people are in danger of never receiving their money. IC is cancelling titles, putting others on hold and admitting that they are in severe debt. That causes companies to fold. Steve keeps trying to 'save' the company by pratically begging people to buy their products and buying commissions from him at cons. So, unless some guardian angel turns up and gives the company a hefty sum of money, I doubt these people will get paid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13