• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Milos & Otis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
People seem to get upset at harem leads who are asexual, and also characters who are perverts like normal teenagers. What do you guys want out of a teenage main character?
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I just got the FMA movie this past weekend. And it was totally worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:
I like the word-play in this week's title for Shelf Life.

Speak for yourself, I had horrible flashbacks to the moment I learned, as an adult, that they'd used real animals in all those stunts. Anime hyper
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
We seldom agree about anime shows but I'm in the same camp as you re Heaven's Lost Property. I ditched the series on a simulcast site because of too many lame sight gags (worse than bad vaudeville before sound, color was added to moving pictures). Even as drawings I can stomach just so much when intent relies too heavily on female character assassinations in a plotline for a chuckle. There are plenty of dvd examples in my anime collection that would suggest I just might be more perverse than angelic. This title, however, is nowhere on my property to validate that point because it's that poor quality a show imho.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame you for finding Forte perishable, Erin, but I am sad you had nothing to say about Chaos. I was really hoping to hear what was your opinion on her and what she brought to the back half of the set.
Enphilistor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
A show about groping girls' boobs? Even though a guy, I'm not really interested. Boring. Now, if it was about groping girls' butts....
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

As for SnO Forte: Tomo's interests are completely normal. The way he goes about them, is NOT. Let me explain:

Interest: Wanting to peep at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Normal approach: Peeping at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Tomo's approach: Spending 6 months building an elaborate system of lens-tubes to peep anywhere from his bedroom.

Get the picture?

Sounds like he has the mind of an engineer.

RyanSaotome wrote:
People seem to get upset at harem leads who are asexual, and also characters who are perverts like normal teenagers. What do you guys want out of a teenage main character?

Not a teenage main character? I personally don't mind, though.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I also had one problem with one plot turn in the ending of the movie because I found spoiler[that when the new female lead ate the star, she didn't become a homunculus but a far more extreme version of myself.]

spoiler[Humans only become homunculi if they have the liquid stone injected into their bloodstream and survive. That's why Kimblee doesn't turn into one when he ingests a solid stone in the series.]

OH OK never mind them that makes sense, then did the same thing happen to him then? because I remember that character as a lunatic

spoiler[Kimblee was already a psychopath before obtaining an imperfect philosophers stone. Whether with the stone or only the transmutation circle tattoos on his hands he always only cared about death and destruction. The stone didn't alter his already twisted personality.]
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Amazing presence and nobility, I guess. Makes it hard to write a harem comedy, though. (And then we'd have people complaining "how come all these white knights are polygamists? Why don't they just keep protecting the childhood friend and tell the others to go find another fish in the sea?")

My thought* on HLP: 40Ds... if a character spends so much time in chibi mode that you keep forgetting what he looks like full-size, you're trying too hard.

* - the show doesn't really deserve thoughts, plural.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
for someone who doesn't like fanservicy shows (especially girl's bravo) i strangely enough find sora hilarious... is it because of just how over the top it is?

*shrug*

the dub did some really great things with the material.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with Okami San... you REALLY have to read between the lines, and I'm not sure that the translations are quite good enough. There is all the difference in the world between saying you are not strong enough to live without something, and everyone needs to rely on something. And the coloration of difference between the two can make you feel different things. This is true of Okami San and the 7... I've seen different reactions, and once I talked to those people I realized a lot about the non-verbal stuff I was seeing, they didn't. The translation is also quite harsh, but I don't know if the original Japanese has quite the same meaning. The other thing I saw quite apparently is that they were attributing or looking for thoughts and feelings that a buncha teens wouldn't probably have until they were in their 20's.

All in all, a mixed effort, IMHO, but there were some good moments, and as long as you don't ask it to be what it is not I thinks it's good. Good luck on the review. Wink

As for Sora no O... It's enjoyable, but flawed. I think the balance between Serious Tomo, and ChibiEcchi Tomo is what sets the tone, and it is just too far out of balance, which is why it never works for some people. Serious Tomo is a guy you could like, and you can see the quality of why he attracts certain girls... and then his id shows up, and low-jinks ensue. A lot of not very funny ones.

OTOH... I don't agree with the interpretation of Ikaros and the letter... Angeloids don't sleep, so they can't dream, but that doesn't mean they don't have desires or aspirations. During that whole montage my feeling was that he was interesting in proposing to Sohara, and it was Ikaros that misunderstood... and her getting the letter from him wasn't real.

It isn't really clear though, who Tomoki meant to propose to... the other interpretation may well be valid instead. The show is definitely one that you either like or don't, and while some would be put off by the constant groping, others might be put off by the constant violence against Tomoki, even when the fantasies are not in fact his.

I've not heard good things about the movie, unfortunately... so I am hoping that the 3rd season will be the one that really comes through... so that we can find out the deal with the bad guy, who is very cruel bastard to everyone around him... and hopefully they will amplify what is in the movie about what all this has to do with Tomoki. They might yet pull out a descent series ender... but I'm not holding my breath. It's a guilty pleasure kind of show, with hints behind it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I passed up on Forte mainly because they didn't include the Blu-Ray in the package. After gettting the first season on Blu-ray, it felt wrong watching the second season on dvd for some reason. I'm hoping, by next year, Kadokawa will get off their Blu-Ray embargo and let Funimation release them again. Mostly, Panty and Stocking, but you get the idea.

Only one more to go!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

more male leads that end up on nice boats
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

For him to actually be a normal person and not some crazy bastard with a sexual psychosis.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

A guy who acts like an alpha and then has graphic sex with the female he chooses in his harem. If he really has a harem, then he ought to use it properly.

I with Erin, shitty softcore dickteases like SnO needs to be flushed with extreme prejudice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7