• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mysterious Girlfriend X episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Kohii wrote:
It' a show with old school art, featuring old school characters, in the not so distant past (seriously, how many kids with cellphones have we seen in this show?). I personally like it, but the negative points are accurate. It is pretty iceberg-paced.
You know, I've been asking myself that question several times. I don't see a reason why they would need to make the setting of this show the early 90's, or possibly even late 80's since there's nothing historically relevant to the story. Perhaps it's a common notion that placing the characters in a specific timeframe in the past adds to that sense of innocence and naivety that is appropriate for a story like this. Or it could be that the mangaka set the story in that 80's-90's era and the anime adaptation didn't have a reason to change that.

I don't think it is meant to be set in the early 90's or anything. It has Old School art, and they never use cell phones or things like that, but it isn't specifically supposed to be in the past. (Maria Watches Over Us also has no cell phones in it, but the author has stated that she specifically chose to have no cell phones in her story. She considers it an alternate world where they don't exist, probably so she doesn't have to worry about them and factor them into her plot lines! LOL!)

Really, the manga and the anime never mention when it is. It is a timeless tale! LOL!
danilo07 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade but magical drool? There are many words that a premise like this inspires and one of them is...YUCK!!!! I'm sorry but I fail to find anything romantic about drool. For me,the whole thing makes me a bit nauseous. I'm sorry if I'm going on about the drool but that seems to be the main part of this series and I think that it's more than a little disgusting.
I'm going to put "Mysterious Girlfriend X" on my must miss list. Magical drool may inspire a lot of things but for me,romance isn't one of them.

You are 7 weeks late my friend.

If you ignore the sorry little troll, he will crawl back under his bridge! He has been down this road before, back during the preview guide discussions (animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2083070#2083070) and has some sort of serious issues with bodily fluids or something, to the point that he thinks he should be able to prevent other people from seeing shows that he thinks are "too icky" and has a penchant for making statements about how gross and worthless they are even though he has stated he won't be watching it, over and over... I expect that he will still be posting this same basic comment in two years if there is a story about MGX!

Last edited by zensunni on Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I suspect the timeline has to do with the communication equation. Cell phones were not as omnipotent in everyday speak then as they currently are. Using '80's or early 90's era it is easier to establish a continuous character interaction instead of a colorized time stop motion study of frozen frame characters texting or performing single digit speed typing while communicating from afar. As viewers we would be spending most of our time interpreting flat panels instead of analyzing teenage interactions up close and personal.

I love this show. I wish I had not read the manga all the way to its current state of telling as prior knowledge can sure deflate any delight of anticipation. As for relationship speed I have to agree with Zensunni's summation. It is to our benefit as viewers that the pace be slow.

Even in real life the early stages of dating usually choreograph fear and doubt as no one is ever 100% certain how he/she fits in the other person's world. Unless both dance partners are exceptionally secure about who they are as well as extremely clairvoyant about the proper progression their love interest should progress the early dating common denominator will always seem to border on sado-masichism.

Is it truly worth all the cerebral angst worrying about just being yourself while wishing, hoping, praying for the desired outcome at the beginning? Once certain aspects of teen dating transpire that certain magic and/or innocence about the tentativeness of early character exploration and development is gone leaving we the readers wanting. Let it be. It's been a fun ride, why ruin it?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

Even in real life the early stages of dating usually choreograph fear and doubt as no one is ever 100% certain how he/she fits in the other person's world. Unless both dance partners are exceptionally secure about who they are as well as extremely clairvoyant about the proper progression their love interest should progress the early dating common denominator will always seem to border on sado-masichism.

Simple solution to alleviate the issue: don't be exclusives right away. (You're welcome.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
I suspect the timeline has to do with the communication equation. Cell phones were not as omnipotent in everyday speak then as they currently are. Using '80's or early 90's era it is easier to establish a continuous character interaction instead of a colorized time stop motion study of frozen frame characters texting or performing single digit speed typing while communicating from afar. As viewers we would be spending most of our time interpreting flat panels instead of analyzing teenage interactions up close and personal.

I've often wondered what fiction is going to do about mass personal communication and how it affects drama. So many films and stories could have had their conflicts avoided or ended quicker by the protagonist having a cell phone. Of course, this would just lead to writers making them conveniently not have a cellphone, which tends just irritate me to no end. The most common one is "oh no, no connection, out of service range!" I guess it's easier and more genuine to just write the characters into a time where those devices and attitudes don't exist, because cellphone connectivity and longevity is only going to get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2B9F-GPm0
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
bemused Bohemian wrote:

I've often wondered what fiction is going to do about mass personal communication and how it affects drama. So many films and stories could have had their conflicts avoided or ended quicker by the protagonist having a cell phone. Of course, this would just lead to writers making them conveniently not have a cellphone, which tends just irritate me to no end. The most common one is "oh no, no connection, out of service range!" I guess it's easier and more genuine to just write the characters into a time where those devices and attitudes don't exist, because cellphone connectivity and longevity is only going to get better.

I'm afraid that Ueshiba had expressed that he made everyday items in the manga anachronistic on purpose. If the anime covers spoiler[Urabe's idol "twin"] arc you'll see large flat panel TV in electronic stores and homes, yet cell phones are still nowhere to be found.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'm afraid that Ueshiba had expressed that he made everyday items in the manga anachronistic on purpose. If the anime covers spoiler[Urabe's idol "twin"] arc you'll see large flat panel TV in electronic stores and homes, yet cell phones are still nowhere to be found.

That doesn't bother me in this setting or context, it's sort of how Lupin can jump around from 1950s Cuba to modern Japan without missing a beat. I'm talking about fiction in the wide sense, and that sort of picking and choosing of electronics and advancement of technology wouldn't work in a live-action drama or thriller because suspending disbelief would be impossible.

One of the major themes of MGX is communication on the non-verbal level, it's literally transferred through the spit and gives more insight into what your lover is feeling and experienced than could ever be expressed through words. It's just one step short of being telepathic. Of course, this begs the question of what happens if they're to ever kiss. Do they turn into tang and suddenly know everything about each other?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
I read some episode summaries of this on Wikipedia and was initially really, really interested in this. I like the whole 'freaks find love' premise. I'm no drool fetishist, but there's something very charming about a plot premise of finding someone just as weird (if not weirder) than you are, and being able to bond over said weird interests without needing to change who you are.

But I dunno. This review is really inconclusive, and the possible supernatural / sci-fi element to the plot doesn't appeal to me at all.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I read some episode summaries of this on Wikipedia and was initially really, really interested in this. I like the whole 'freaks find love' premise. I'm no drool fetishist, but there's something very charming about a plot premise of finding someone just as weird (if not weirder) than you are, and being able to bond over said weird interests without needing to change who you are.

But I dunno. This review is really inconclusive, and the possible supernatural / sci-fi element to the plot doesn't appeal to me at all.

Its streaming on Crunchyroll. Five or six episodes are available to view for free at this point. You won't lose anything but time watching it there. I love the show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

I would suggest actually watching it. Its not like its not incredibly easily available or anything.

Also, people really overplay the supernatural element. Yes, Urabe's drool transfers her emotions. Why? Who knows? Who cares? It just does.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

I would suggest actually watching it. Its not like its not incredibly easily available or anything.

Also, people really overplay the supernatural element. Yes, Urabe's drool transfers her emotions. Why? Who knows? Who cares? It just does.

Psst. *points to location, aka 'this [insert legal streaming service] is not available in your area'*

I do check out fansubs to sample, but I don't like most illegal sites and avoid downloading as much as possible because my computer's kind of old. And honestly wading through a lot of stuff that I don't feel strongly for kind of bums me out. I'd rather know if something really is good by word of mouth before checking it out, and once I really like something I'll make it a point to save up and purchase it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Thank you. I know it sort of stands out but they say things to the effect of 'this is just the way it is and there's nothing deeper to think about' a couple of times. Like Urabe says when she shows Tsubaki her scissors for the first time, (paraphrased) "This is just how I am".
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
She is, in fact, very weird and she does some 'odd' things like placing scissors in her undies which magically never cuts her. (O_o)
The scissors or her panties? In the back of my mind I keep thinking any panties tight enough to hold a heavy pair of scissors in place would seriously have to be cutting off some circulation.

Mainly the scissors.
I'm always worried what would happened if Urabe slipped and fell. Anime cry

But good point on the tight undies.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Psst. *points to location, aka 'this [insert legal streaming service] is not available in your area'*

I do check out fansubs to sample, but I don't like most illegal sites and avoid downloading as much as possible because my computer's kind of old. And honestly wading through a lot of stuff that I don't feel strongly for kind of bums me out. I'd rather know if something really is good by word of mouth before checking it out, and once I really like something I'll make it a point to save up and purchase it.

I don't know if it's against the rules here or not just use a proxy with an amercian ip through firefox or chrome and you can watch it. I know that it's a hassle to do this for some people however it's always better to watch before you buy. Now I could recommend reading the manga for 20 chapters to get the gist of the anime as well but that's up to your own moral values on that end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Past wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
She is, in fact, very weird and she does some 'odd' things like placing scissors in her undies which magically never cuts her. (O_o)
The scissors or her panties? In the back of my mind I keep thinking any panties tight enough to hold a heavy pair of scissors in place would seriously have to be cutting off some circulation.

Mainly the scissors.
I'm always worried what would happened if Urabe slipped and fell. Anime cry

But good point on the tight undies.

At least they are safety scissors. (Rounded ends...) LOL!
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I don't know if it's against the rules here or not just use a proxy with an amercian ip through firefox or chrome and you can watch it. I know that it's a hassle to do this for some people however it's always better to watch before you buy. Now I could recommend reading the manga for 20 chapters to get the gist of the anime as well but that's up to your own moral values on that end.

Thanks. The truth is I'm not the most IT savvy person although I do know people who can play with IPs, so if I ever want to do that I'll speak to them. My government censors the Internet, so there are people who've learned how to go around it.

There is anime sold in video stores but a lot of them are 'fake originals', ie. the companies got the license not from Japan but from pirates across HK, China, Taiwan etc. I used to buy them but I don't anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4