• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Deb Aoki on twitter summed up the "No" list:

No titles created before 2000. (Ed reports they are phasing out the classics line)
No long series. (not sure what "long" means)
Nothing from Akita Shoten.
Nothing from Shueisha or Shogakukan.
No novels.
No Go Nagai.

I'm pretty sure they said on Twitter that "long" means 13 or more volumes. I think this means they'd shy away from continuing series that are getting close to that number, too.
VerticalEd wrote:
@HarryKanter not taking any titles from before 2000. Kaiji and Akagi are too long (12 vols or less only)

They also mentioned that they will not consider anything already on JManga.
VerticalEd wrote:
@jet_moebro but one thing... if it is being sold on JManga we will not print it. o/a

What they are looking for:
Short, finished titles that will appeal to a broad audience, not niche titles. Also, this:
VerticalEd wrote:
@non8noninfinite thanks. my point is that we hope to license Hana to Yume series in the future Smile

Since this is the same magazine that runs Skip Beat and Gakuen Alice, I'm excited for that!

Also, apparently not enough people are buying No Longer Human and Lychee Light Club. Anime cry Also, EDIT: GTO Early Years is apparently not doing very well, either, making them shy away from other license rescues.
PhoenixTerran wrote:
Hey, everyone, I want @Vertical_Ed to license Furuya's Children's Crusade, so go buy and read more Lychee Light Club and No Longer Human.
VerticalEd wrote:
@PhoenixTerran all we need is 500 more readers for Lychee or 1000 for No Longer Human. go go go!!!

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for elaborating.

Well, suckage for no JManga titles. Guess I'll just have to hope for a TRSI/JManga POD partnership then, 'cause there are a bunch of JManga titles in print that I'd love (i.e. all the food ones).

Less than 13 is longer than I expected, but shorter than I hoped for, especially with some of the ongoings I'd like to buy.

I haven't bought any Furuya because he's just too dark for me. I read my friend's copy of LLC, and she had to put post-its (with hilarious pictures) over the more graphic parts. I liked the story, just not the art. I do have Viz's Genkaku Picasso, though, since that's tamer.

I still need more GTOs, but I was waiting for another Vertical sale from TRSI, which they're about due for. Or maybe I can pick up some at SDCC.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I would love a Right Stuf JManga POD partnership, but I'd really like some of those books to get... re-typeset/proofread before that happens. Confused Maybe it's just because I'm a typesetter, but some of the books there make me cringe. =_=

Furuya would normally be too dark for me, but I found Genkaku Picasso and Short Cuts first. I can *appreciate* No Longer Human, and I have friends who love dark psychological stuff like that, but it's not something I would have sought out on my own. I own Lychee but haven't opened it yet. xD Basically, I want more Furuya, but I kind of hope he has some things more along the line of GP or SC left to license...
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
In the comments of the FB page they say they're all booked for novels through 2014 so I guess sometime next year they'll be open to novel suggestions as well.

Do they list their upcoming titles anywhere so I can know whether to be disappointed that I can't request Another and Confessions? If not for the Amazon recommendation engine, I wouldn't even know they have a new Koji Suzuki novel coming out.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

No titles created before 2000. (Ed reports they are phasing out the classics line)
No Go Nagai.

Both of those statements disappoint me greatly, although the reasoning is probably obvious. I wish they'd venture doing a few more classic titles in the manner that DMP has with its two Tezuka releases.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is on their poll Shocked

It may be "too old" (started in '94, but ran until 2006), but I would be so excited to see them release it.

I'd buy 5 (and loan out the extras)
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Vertical's currently got a license request poll on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/questions/10150869304094613/

There are some really good picks on there. Right now the most popular choice is Kuragehime.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
i put in a few votes, although the main ones id have are all no no's im hopeful somthing like teppu would get done but sports storys seem to be a hard sell to manga fans despite brilliant comics like hajime no ippo, cross game and oofuri.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
The Kuragehime manga being licensed would be so great! I bought the DVD/Bluray release so quickly in hopes that good sales might inspire someone to do just that!

I would also love Chihayafuru and a rescue of the Nodame Cantabile license.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but someone's already posted about this in the retail forum here Smile
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
No Go Nagai.

Haven't said a thing about all of Go Nagai. But he has rejected our previous requests

Quote:
Also, GTO is apparently not doing very well, either, making them shy away from similar titles.

This is also wrong. GTO 14 Days is doing fine. Not a megahit but fine. We are definitely looking at similar titles.

However GTO Early Years isn't... So no license rescues.

Also, haven't said a thing about scanlations this round. Not sure why that's been brought up. Orz (~_~Wink
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

No Go Nagai.

Both of those statements disappoint me greatly, although the reasoning is probably obvious. I wish they'd venture doing a few more classic titles in the manner that DMP has with its two Tezuka releases.

Expect another Tezuka license later this year. Along with a classic josei title for next summer.

We just are releasing so few classics now that we aren't taking outside suggestions. We have a list already made.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Quote:
Also, GTO is apparently not doing very well, either, making them shy away from similar titles.

This is also wrong. GTO 14 Days is doing fine. Not a megahit but fine. We are definitely looking at similar titles.

I'm sorry for saying the wrong information. I don't follow any GTO stuff, so I didn't realize there was more than one series you could be talking about, or that the reason why you didn't want other series like that would be a license-rescue issue, not a content issue. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Vertical_Ed wrote:
Also, haven't said a thing about scanlations this round. Not sure why that's been brought up. Orz (~_~Wink

Again, sorry for assuming. I'm pretty sure I've heard you guys outright dismiss titles that were heavily scanlated before, and what with your comments on JManga, I thought that opinion was still in effect.

I'll edit my original post to correct these errors.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about everyone else but I almost never go to the retail forum so I'm glad it got posted here too.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

Expect another Tezuka license later this year. Along with a classic josei title for next summer.

We just are releasing so few classics now that we aren't taking outside suggestions. We have a list already made.

That's great to hear! I'll definitely be picking up both releases then Smile. I'm a dude, but I also love josei titles.

Don't judge me!

Vertical_Ed wrote:

I'm not a GTO reader (yet), but I also hate seeing a series get bailed on. Are you guys hopefully going to release Early Years through the final volume, or is the upcoming vol. 13 the last one? I know there's listings for 14 and 15 on RightStuf right now, but I figure it's worth asking.

Also, if I wanted to help support an ailing series (like the aforementioned Lychee Light Club or No Longer Human), where's the best place to buy it? Amazon, RightStuf, the Vertical Store? What's the most likely place more sales would get noticed by the powers that be?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24