• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Katō's 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
WALL-E was cute, fun. Sword and Crawlers reach to a deeper sense of emotion and plot, Crawlers much more so.

I thought there was plenty of depth and emotion to WALL-E.

Maybe I just dislike it when people think that all anime is better than all western animation (not that you guys are doing that)?

Gotta love that Love Guru comment. Very Happy
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Speed Racer. Sure it wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it was fun and I loved watching the spectacle of it all. If Nascar ran races like that, I'd definitely get into the sport. Laughing

As for the Oscar Nominations.. I haven't seen any of this year's nominations, anime or not. So maybe the 3 nominated do have better stories and plots, I don't know. But what does bother me is that that Miyazaki films aside, being 3-D animation almost guarantees an Oscar nominee and win anymore, and I think thats rather sad. I wish they would have a 2-D and 3-D feature film catagory, but I doubt they ever will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
But what does bother me is that that Miyazaki films aside, being 3-D animation almost guarantees an Oscar nominee and win anymore, and I think thats rather sad. I wish they would have a 2-D and 3-D feature film catagory, but I doubt they ever will.

Actually, when Howl's Moving Castle was nominated, the other 2 weren't CGI. Well, they were stop-motion, but that's an awesome form as well!

How come Japanese animators don't try much stop-motion?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining about the eligible anime films not getting nominated, keep in mind how limited of an exposure both of them had. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of eligible Academy voters didn't get the chance to see either one, considering they were probably aired in a theater or two in New York/LA for no more than a week, if that. A domestic distributor only doing the very bare minimum to make their film eligible isn't going to reap many rewards.

That having been said, as someone who did see and enjoy Sword of the Stranger (though not Sky Crawlers), I can confidently say that I consider WALL-E by far the most deserving title.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Maybe I just dislike it when people think that all anime is better than all western animation (not that you guys are doing that)?

I don't think all anime is better than all western animation. LOTS of anime stinks, and I've liked a lot of Pixar's work (The Incredibles, Finding Nemo), but Wall-E really let me down. It was a good movie, but it just wasn't as mind-blowingly innovative and cutting-edge as everyone claimed. And again, I haven't seen the others, so it may in fact be the best; I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I also am somewhat nostalgic for the days of good Western 2-D animation; everything's 3-D nowadays, which, when you look back at some of the fantastic work Disney did on things like Beauty and the Beast, or even further back at Sleeping Beauty and others, one wishes they still made a few of those every once and a while.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Man the Academy really needs to change their rules, looking at this years Animation Nominees, the only worthy one is WALL-E. And I personally enjoyed WALL-E very much.

At least PIXAR has some depth to their films, DreamWorks makes 8 million Shrek clones.
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Bolt was actually pretty good, Kung-fu panda, I haven't got a chance to see yet, but it was also well reviewed. Neither deserve to win over Wall-E, but both deserve to be there.

-----

Honestly, I wonder about next year's Oscar... if the limit it to three animated films there could be a Disney Stranglehold on the Oscar because I'm guessing Ponyo, Up, and Frog Prince will all get nominated.

Last edited by Bell02 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
Honestly, I wonder about next year's Oscar... if the limit it to three animated films there could be a Disney Stranglehold on the Oscar because I'm guessing Ponyo, Up, and Frog Prince will all get nominated.

The Princess and the Frog is a Christmas release so it will not be eligible till the 2011 awards.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This year's animation Oscar is WALL-E's to lose, quite frankly; just like Ratatouille and The Incredibles before it. The critical buzz and box-office success will ensure it wins. Although, Kung-Fu Panda is a strong dark-horse.

As for Japanese animated films going un-nominated, well, that's just how these things go. I enjoyed The Sky Crawlers, even with its story flaws. I knew it would not get nominated, nor did I expect it to. Furthermore, the film wasn't given the kind of promotional push, glowing industry "word-of-mouth" and screen numbers Disney regularly does for Hayao Miyazaki's films. Aside from artistic merit and critical acclaim, those are all very important.

That being said, I'm a bit confused by the in-eligibility of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; especially, BEI's English version. Was it because of all the number of festival screenings the subtitled print was given, over the last few years? I was always under the impression that the "English dubbed" print was treated as a "new film" of sorts. *shrug* Guess not. AMPAS' rules are so difficult to parse sometimes. Like the brouhaha over The Dark Knight's original score being eligible; which, ironically enough, was not nominated at all.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Bell02 wrote:

The Princess and the Frog is a Christmas release so it will not be eligible till the 2011 awards.

I'm willing to bet that like a lot of films that come out around Christmas time or after, Princess and the Frog will get an LA screening that allows it to be nominated for the 2010 awards.

And I expect a Disney stronghold too that year as well, with Coraline as the dark horse potential nominee. Looking at the three animated movies Disney is distributing next year, I can't say I don't expect it to be a deserved trifecta. They all look excellent. That being said, there's always the possibility that sixteen animated movies will be submitted next year. If that's the case, for the first time since 2003, they'll allow five nominations.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Kunio Kato for his nomination. I've been a fan since Tortov Roddle and his film definitely deserves to win.

I actually thought the feature-length animation nominations were pretty good this year. Waltz With Bashir is the only other animated film I thought deserved a nod and its foreign language film nomination is a nice surprise. Any argument about what films did or didn't make the cut is mostly moot, anyway, since WALL-E will, and should, win--for its relevance to the current eco crisis, if nothing else.

Also, poor Speed Racer. I went into that film expecting it to be terrible and I ended up having a great time (I'd even go so far as to say it's the best summer movie of 2008). It makes me sad that everyone hates it. Screw the Razzies. I'm going re-watch my Blu-ray copy of Speed Racer tonight to spite them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
I was just happy that Bolt got nominated because I thought it was going to get shut out of the "nice-to-be-nominated-but-with-no-real-chance-of-winning" third nomination spot by Waltz with Bashir, which really seemed to be getting a lot of momentum, but I guess the Academy thought that "Best Foreign Language Feature" was honouring it enough.

I know WALL-E is going to win, but I think Bolt is easily the best thing to come out of Disney Feature Animation since Lilo & Stitch and should be recognized by at least a nom. I liked all three of the nominated films plenty, but I honestly prefer Bolt to WALL-E even if I recognize that Bolt doesn't have nearly the same amount of "depth" and social commentary. Bolt is cute, charming, and funny, and that's usually all I need. (I also preferred Lilo & Stitch to Spirited Away, for pretty much the same reason.)

As for the anime films, as usual (for non-Miyazaki films), they didn't get more than one or two poorly-advertised eligibility screenings, so hardly anyone on the animation nomination committee likely even saw them in the first place.

Next year, I'd be astonished if Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea didn't get nominated. (I've seen it, and I predict that the critics will like it more than Howl's Moving Castle, but the enthusiasm for it won't come close to that of Spirited Away, though, personally, it's my favourite Miyazaki film made since Porco Rosso even though I think it falls apart a bit in the third act.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
I'd Rather a good movie like Speed Racer get an ill noted award than the likes of the awful Day...Still remake or any of the "movie" moives get anything close to a reward for thier awful.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I liked all three of the nominated films plenty, but I honestly prefer Bolt to WALL-E even if I recognize that Bolt doesn't have nearly the same amount of "depth" and social commentary. Bolt is cute, charming, and funny, and that's usually all I need.

While I prefer WALL-E to Bolt, I agree that the latter is a wonderful film that absolutely deserves the nomination. It's definitely the best film Disney has put out in a good while and it's beautifully animated (plus I know a bunch of people who worked on it, so I'm a little biased). As a person who loves fuzzy animals, I was happy there was plenty of "Awwww" factor in it as well. The opening scene just about made my brain explode with cuteness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
HE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2