• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tezuka's Jungle Emperor to Return in Summer TV Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Taniguchi is easily the most over rated Director in anime right now, while part of the problem with R2 was the scripts which where full of unintentional hilarious dialogue, as Director its his job to have Okouchi keep the good ideas while discarding the bad ideas.

The script isn't just about the dialogue but also includes the events and how to pace them. Directors can influence that, to a certain extent, but the main responsibility lies with the writers and you shouldn't overlook other issues with the production as a whole.

I would argue he's quickly becoming the most overbashed, at least online, considering how often people seem to run for the hills whenever his name is mentioned just because they didn't like Code Geass R2.

Not because he's great...I've already said he isn't. Only because people on the internet want to dump each and every problem or disappointment in Geass on his shoulders alone while not even doing cursory research about the circumstances surrounding the production or giving him a minuscule particle of credit for anything he's ever done doesn't mean I'm going to jump on that bandwagon. Especially because I have seen quite a few of his shows, not just one or two.

I mean, if I were to follow the example others are setting, I should bash Mamoru Oshii because of how crappy Dallos and a couple of his live action movies are and not recognize he's also worked in superior projects. Or I should go bash Noboru Ishiguro because of how Tytania seems to crawl along and has repetitive events. Or perhaps Ryosuke Takahashi deserves some slaps because Gasaraki wasn't all that good...oh wait, Taniguchi was assisant director there so, of course, he must be the one to blame. Great logic.

Sorry, this isn't a discussion topic meant to debate Geass, much less bringing in spoilers, so I will not fall into that trap. If you want to talk about them, take it elsewhere on the forums. Don't know about anyone else, but at least I am not going to respond to any of that here.

Quote:
Having seen Scryed his work isn't that good their either, its possible that Planetes is a complete work of genius making me put Taniguchi in a new light but considering the work I have seen I doubt it.

From where I sit, Scryed was meant to be just another shounen fighting show, nothing more than that, and it accomplished this purpose well enough to make me watch the whole thing. I don't usually expect genius from the genre that brought us something like Dragon Ball Z or Naruto.

I actually think, however, that Infinite Ryvius and, say, even Gun x Sword are better shows. Not coincidentially, both of those have better scripts than either Scryed or Geass R2, so it's not just a matter of Planetes.

Quote:
Now looking back the problem may well be that Taniguchi is just horrible at working with large casts such as Scryed, and Code Geass, as both works suffers from "What;s the point of 3/4th of the cast" and with something less ambitious it will work out better.

Considering that Planetes, Infinite Ryvius and Gun x Sword had fairly large casts, I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on that one like you're doing. Once again, I think you're unilaterally blaming the director for things that have more to do with the writer or other aspects of the production.

With anime the buck should stop with the Director unless its something like R.O.D where the series would soley created by the writer, and Code Geass has Taniguchi as Co-Creator along with Okouchi. That means he shares a lot of the blame for the problems of R2.

Now like I said my main problem was that Code Geass was really too ambitious of a project for Taniguchi and maybe if he directs this (for all we know he could be the cofee boy) it will be much better.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

With anime the buck should stop with the Director unless its something like R.O.D where the series would soley created by the writer, and Code Geass has Taniguchi as Co-Creator along with Okouchi. That means he shares a lot of the blame for the problems of R2.

Then who actually does what in an anime production is essentially irrelevant to you, other than the director? That's what it sounds like. In my opinion, looking at the rest of the staff is also important and not something that should be tossed aside.

Being credited as "co-creator" or, more accurately, "original creator" doesn't really mean as much as you seem to think. It appears to be a recognition of who came up with the initial concepts for the story and characters, not being responsible for all aspects of their implementation.

Yoshiyuki Tomino actually has specific writing and directing credits for several of his works, not simply being listed as the "original creator" along with the non-existent Hajime Yatate.

The results have been definitely mixed. How do you explain, for example, F91, Brain Powered or Garzey's Wing then? According to ANN, Tomino also wrote the script for those in addition to directing and being the "original creator" so it would be fair to hold him increasingly responsible since his role extended to including actual writing. Of course, I would also want to look at the known circumstances surrounding the F91 movie, for instance.

But in fact, to stress my previous point, Tomino even gets repeatedly credited as the "original creator" for Gundam series in which he has done absolutely nothing, which indicates that is primarily a recognition of who holds creative rights, not much else.

Quote:
Now like I said my main problem was that Code Geass was really too ambitious of a project for Taniguchi and maybe if he directs this (for all we know he could be the cofee boy) it will be much better.

I'm not even assuming that much, though it appears I've seen more of his series than you have, but simply prefer to wait and not jump the gun, either way.
whitelion43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I have been following Kimba since as a kid back in the sixties. I do not know that work of the artist invovled but the only thin my frioends and I at http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/kimba/ is thaT Kimba's character design is WAY off. thats why I am surprised at the art director for it is from the FF series.. well thats ny 2 cents worth anyway.
signed
Dave
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when it'll show? I would probably put this on my anime list for summer.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Found pictures, they made Leo/Kimba all chibi-ish, but he's still cute!

http://en.gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20090318_taf2009_leo/
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Amano. °_°
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder if a release date is announced? Or if the seiyuus are planned yet?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Check the Encyclopedia for airing dates and production credits rather than necroposting in a thread not used for a good 4 months.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2