• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood: The Last Vampire Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Reports have said that Saya is a Eurasian though. Though not in the original animated movie, in this Asian (or half in this case). So I think in this case, she is Japanese in here. spoiler[There were screenshots of her when she was younger in what looks to be feudal Japan -- it was definitely Japan.]
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely buy this on a US dvd release if it had an English dub. I just don't hold the love for subtitles, sorry, so a dual subbed/dubbed would be ideal.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sawa only has a Japanese name, but isn't necessarily a Japanese character, given that she's a vampire first, and a person belonging to a particular country second. But the geisha are Japanese.

Oh man, I just shot soda from my nose from laughing so hard at this reasoning. Ahhahahaha... that hurt.

I think arguing nationality rules for a race of beings that doesn't exist is just... pointless. Vampire does not = nationality. Saya was always portrayed as Japanese from the get-go, and traditionally in media and books, vampires are "from" where they were born, human or not. Lestat = French, Dracula = Hungarian, Edward = American, Miyu = Japanese. Be it race or just human turned vamp, they're FROM somewhere, and Saya was Japanese.

Going in this stupid mindset where unless you're from that country it's racist, let's label Oldboy, Cityhunter, and the Korean drama of Hana Kimi as racist scum too. And then we have stuff like Slumdog Millionaire with a British born lead actor, not Indian, that is so... RACIST!, Nicole Kidman doing anything without an Aussie accent... so racist, and Star Wars for not getting any real bloody Tatooinians! Wow, I never realized how racist everything was before. We need to start contacting the appropriate groups to let them know of this insult.

Anyone else having a problem with the trailer? I'll see video for the first couple seconds, and then it turns all black.
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:
I would definitely buy this on a US dvd release if it had an English dub. I just don't hold the love for subtitles, sorry, so a dual subbed/dubbed would be ideal.

You don't have to worry. Most of the movie is in English anyway. Remember, this is the Japanese teaser trailer lol.
serephita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:

As Prodigy_child pointed out, this movie will (more than likely) be in English -- the original anime version was mostly in English, with small portions in Japanese. Unfortunately, I don't think the portions that were in Japanese had subtitles, or if they did, I haven't figured out how to get them working. lol
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this movie will be good...?

At the very least, I'm certainly more interested in it after seeing that teaser.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Yet you give a pass to Dacascos when, by your thinking, they should have casted a full-Japanese actor with the same skills.

How many pretty-boy Japanese mixed-martial artists are there?

Quote:
Hiding out in Thailand makes someone not white?

If he dresses like a local thug, probably. Unless you consider those Asian guys makin' fun of Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder to be white. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
No, but you pointed out that Saya doesn't have a human ethnicity by definition, so it's a moot point there. So why draw the line at Son Goku?

Because people think of Goku as Asian first, alien second, while people think of Saya as vampire first, Asian second. That's just the way it is.

wolf: But was she actually born in Japan, or did she just show up there? Also, Dracula is technically based on a Romanian guy. As for Oldboy, the author gave his ok for a Korean guy to adapt it; so a Korean version was inevitable. Same with Hana Kimi. City Hunter actually proves that they got the wrong guy for the part, if you're referring to the Jackie Chan one. As for Slumdog, I imagine some people do consider it racist, or at least condescending, that a Brit is telling the story. Moving on to Kidman, her "American" accent isn't racist, just insulting to my intelligence. And everyone knows the real racism in Star Wars is Jar Jar and Boba Fett unmasked. Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Yet you give a pass to Dacascos when, by your thinking, they should have casted a full-Japanese actor with the same skills.

How many pretty-boy Japanese mixed-martial artists are there?

According to what you have written about other films, only one was enough to disqualify Dacascos. Yet, you give Dacascos a pass, while cry racism on others.

Quote:
Quote:
Hiding out in Thailand makes someone not white?

If he dresses like a local thug, probably. Unless you consider those Asian guys makin' fun of Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder to be white. Rolling Eyes

Please don't compound a generalization with another generalization. Please realize you're comparing a fictional drawn character of unspecified ethnicity with real-life actors in roles of specified ethnicity.

Quote:
Quote:
No, but you pointed out that Saya doesn't have a human ethnicity by definition, so it's a moot point there. So why draw the line at Son Goku?

Because people think of Goku as Asian first, alien second, while people think of Saya as vampire first, Asian second. That's just the way it is.

"That's just the way it is" is not the strongest defense for double standards. If anything, it is one of the telltale signs of a double standard.

Quote:
As for Oldboy, the author gave his ok for a Korean guy to adapt it; so a Korean version was inevitable.

So Oldboy gets a pass because the author gave his ok, but other films don't get a pass for the same reason. We have another double standard here.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
With the Blood universe being one of my favorites out there I would really really love to see a release for this in the US very soon. Definitely in theaters and NO DUB DAMMIT!!!

Live action dub = Epic Fail.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
According to what you have written about other films, only one was enough to disqualify Dacascos. Yet, you give Dacascos a pass, while cry racism on others.

Again, if you think there's a better choice than Dacascos for CF, then name someone. Japan has got a whole host of MMA fighters you can cite for the skills, and maybe even the looks. But can anyone seriously argue that Kreuk looks or fights like Chun Li?

Quote:
Please realize you're comparing a fictional drawn character of unspecified ethnicity with real-life actors in roles of specified ethnicity.

But the roles are also fictional, so...

Quote:
"That's just the way it is" is not the strongest defense for double standards. If anything, it is one of the telltale signs of a double standard.

It's not a double standard. Fans have different expectations for different characters, depending on their level of importance to the story. That's why they're not bitching about Marsters not being Asian, even though Piccolo does play a prominent role in the series.
And as long as Jun looks and acts like Saya, people are fine with her. But Chatwin does not look or act like Goku.

Quote:
So Oldboy gets a pass because the author gave his ok, but other films don't get a pass for the same reason. We have another double standard here.

In the case of Oldboy, the manga-ka talked directly to the director. He did not just let some faceless studio pay for the rights to it, and then assume that the execs would do whatever they wanted with the material-hence Toriyama's own "surprise" by the trailers.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

Again, if you think there's a better choice than Dacascos for CF, then name someone. Japan has got a whole host of MMA fighters you can cite for the skills, and maybe even the looks. But can anyone seriously argue that Kreuk looks or fights like Chun Li?

Here, you don't hold Dacascos to the same standard as other films you decry as racist. No names were needed for decrying those films, and trying to raise the issue of looks for those films only points out that Dacascos' looks are not held to this double standard.

Quote:
Quote:
Please realize you're comparing a fictional drawn character of unspecified ethnicity with real-life actors in roles of specified ethnicity.

But the roles are also fictional, so...

You missed the key word, "unspecified."

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a double standard. Fans have different expectations for different characters, depending on their level of importance to the story.

Uh, Saya is as important to her story as Son Goku is to his. This is not a valid justification of the double standard.

Quote:
Quote:

In the case of Oldboy, the manga-ka talked directly to the director.

Please prove this claim.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Here, you don't hold Dacascos to the same standard as other films you decry as racist.

If he's got the character's looks, physique, and dexterity, why should I hold him to the same standard? Again, if you think there's a Japanese guy who would do a better job than him, then I'm all ears. But I think there's at least one Chinese actress who would do a better job than Kreuk. And unlike Kreuk, they didn't cast Dacascos for the lead in CF, because they thought a not-completely-Japanese guy would sell better to white audiences.

Quote:
No names were needed for decrying those films, and trying to raise the issue of looks for those films only points out that Dacascos' looks are not held to this double standard.

The issue of looks is relevant, since Dacascos plays a Japanese hitman for the Chinese mafia, thus crossing nationalities which Kreuk's character does not.

Quote:
Uh, Saya is as important to4 her story as Son Goku is to his. This is not a valid justification of the double standard.

She's important to the story, but her regional ethnicity is not important, because she wasn't necessarily raised in a normal Japan society; in fact, she lives on a friggin' American base in the movie. Goku, though, was raised in a normal Japanese home.

Quote:

Are the Asian guys in Tropic Thunder really specified?

Quote:
Please prove this claim.

Well, the most I could get online is that the producer talked to the director, who read the manga afterwards. And the IMDB'ers say that an interview with the manga-ka on the French dvd indicates he likes this version, even if it's different. So he wouldn't just give it away, knowing that there would be a different approach to the material, if he didn't at least get to know the guy and his approach, and vice versa.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
I would hope that if it does well in the UK and in Japan, then suredly somebody will be willing to license it for over here. The trailer looked pretty good, so I would think there is hope for this movie, ignoring said garbage statements that have been mentioned that take up 50% of this thread.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Here, you don't hold Dacascos to the same standard as other films you decry as racist.

If he's got the character's looks, physique, and dexterity, why should I hold him to the same standard?

Uh, you might want to reword that. Unless you are saying that Crying Freeman is not full-Japanese in the original, you are effectively saying you do have a double standard.

Quote:
Again, if you think there's a Japanese guy who would do a better job than him, then I'm all ears. But I think there's at least one Chinese actress who would do a better job than Kreuk. And unlike Kreuk, they didn't cast Dacascos for the lead in CF, because they thought a not-completely-Japanese guy would sell better to white audiences.

Please prove this claim--that Dacascos was not cast for this reason, while Kreuk was.

Quote:
Quote:
No names were needed for decrying those films, and trying to raise the issue of looks for those films only points out that Dacascos' looks are not held to this double standard.

The issue of looks is relevant, since Dacascos plays a Japanese hitman for the Chinese mafia, thus crossing nationalities which Kreuk's character does not.

Given that Chun-Li is an Interpol agent even in the original video games, this latest rationalizing for your double standard doesn't work.

Quote:
Quote:
Uh, Saya is as important to4 her story as Son Goku is to his. This is not a valid justification of the double standard.

She's important to the story, but her regional ethnicity is not important, because she wasn't necessarily raised in a normal Japan society; in fact, she lives on a friggin' American base in the movie. Goku, though, was raised in a normal Japanese home.

Uh, we went through this before. Whether a person is white, Asian, alien, or vampire biologically is not going to change due to upbringing. Especially in a fantasy parallel world.

Quote:
Quote:

Are the Asian guys in Tropic Thunder really specified?

That is what you claimed, so you have to answer your own question.

Quote:
Quote:
Please prove this claim.

Well, the most I could get online is that the producer talked to the director, who read the manga afterwards. And the IMDB'ers say that an interview with the manga-ka on the French dvd indicates he likes this version, even if it's different. So he wouldn't just give it away, knowing that there would be a different approach to the material, if he didn't at least get to know the guy and his approach, and vice versa.

So you can't prove your claim. We can ignore it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, a bunch of text that still manages to make no point at all with just assumptions that have no backing, nor comprehending that all those vague examples I gave just showed you can always fine exceptions to your un-logical logic. Please, so we can all understand where you're coming from, list your definition of what racism is so that we can understand your reasoning and stop the pointless arguing. Then maybe, just maybe we can actually, possibly, though very unlikely go "hmm, maybe Gatsu has a point", because right now you're just not making any sense in contradicting yourself.

First, here's a history lesson for you. I said Dracula was Hungarian. He is. Look it up. Dracula's character is believed to have been inspired by the Romanian Prince Vladimir, but going by canon and not the inspiration, vampire Dracula was of Hungarian decent, specifically with the Székely ethic group. He isn't, fact for fact, the same as history's actual Vladimir, who was NOT Székely.

"We Székelys have a right to be proud, for in our veins flows the blood of many brave races who fought as the lion fights..."
~ Dracula

The Székely people are Hungarian, who believe themselves to be the decedents of Attila the Hun, and were also a sort of eastern border guard for Hungary with their territories in places like Transylvania, which at the time was not part of Romania. Hungarians in the now Romanian area known as Transylvania, back when Dracula was young, more than likely wouldn't have taken kindly to being considered Romanian. Especially when at the time Transylvania was a part of the Hungarian Empire and for a very long time after separate from present day Romania. It wasn't part of Romania until WW1, long after Bram wrote his book, and even then parts of it were still Hungarian for a while after.

Dracula = Hungarian descent. It's so... "racist" to think and assume him as other. Rolling Eyes

Basically I think you should just get out of this stereotyping, "it's all racist" mindset since something can always be offensive and considered racist the further you get into something. In general, the Chinese don't like to be grouped with the Japanese, but we in the West lump them together as "Asian". I can assure you that some Welsh would take offense to being lumped with the French, or even the English for that matter. Heck, ask a Scotsman if he's English and watch what happens. The same can go with pretty much any group you try to lump with something. You should stop now, especially since you seem to be skewing ethic groups with nationality, which are two separate things.

Quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the way it is. I don't know what movie you've seen, but everyone outside of the people who really knew Saya thought she was just a Japanese teenager. No one saw her and went "Oh! You're a vampire!" Heck, you don't even discover she's a vampire really until the end with the family photo. She is NOT an obvious vampire. No fangs, no stereotypical cape.

And how was the Korean adaption of Hana Kimi "inevitable", and how the heck does that exclude it from your "it's racist" logic? I didn't quite understand the explanation you gave.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3