• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Plans New Manga Site With Unlimited Access

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
While this is exciting news (and there a few Tokyopop & Del Rey titles I would love to see finish), I didn't see anything about the ability to download chapters or volumes.

Nor are you likely to on a free and buffet-payment site.

Quote:
I would have subscribed to J Manga ages ago since I like their diversity & I can afford it but I would like to have my own digital copy of what I read.

They are talking about offline reading with their iOs/Android apps, and since the JManga volumes are about the same price as most ebook editions of Manga volumes, that seems like it could well happen.

There's nothing indicating that there would be anything like that available for the free or all-you-can-read site, and lots of reason to doubt that it would be available for free or for all-you-can-read.

Quote:
That plus, I rather buy/import a physical copy than rent it/read it online where my account could possibly be hacked. Or I could lose the content that I had already purchased and I might have to buy it again.

Yeah, but the physical copy is printed on paper, and the economics of printed manga has only ever supporter published a very small fraction of the annual output of manga in English.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
yay, i will join. I don't think it matter that much, people will rather support pirate websites than legal website.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
yay, i will join. I don't think it matter that much, people will rather support pirate websites than legal website.

Some people will, sure.

But the growth of Crunchyroll and the other legal streaming simulcasts and near-simulcasts has led to a dramatic drop in people watching anime bootlegs. So if the new JManga "all you can eat" site is successful, it'll likely have a similar impact on the manga bootleg sites. It won't shut them down, but they'll lose a lot of their traffic.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to check this out when it launches, it sounds much better then their current model.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
While this is exciting news (and there a few Tokyopop & Del Rey titles I would love to see finish), I didn't see anything about the ability to download chapters or volumes.

Nor are you likely to on a free and buffet-payment site.

That's fine. Just curious if that was going to be a possible option in the future.

Quote:
I would have subscribed to J Manga ages ago...but I would like to have my own digital copy of what I read.

Quote:
They are talking about offline reading with their iOs/Android apps, and since the JManga volumes are about the same price as most ebook editions of Manga volumes, that seems like it could well happen. There's nothing indicating that there would be anything like that available for the free or all-you-can-read site, and lots of reason to doubt that it would be available for free or for all-you-can-read.

That's great news. For eBook owners.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that this feature would be free. If it was an additional cost or only available for individuals who paid for some sort of membership then, again, money is no problem. Even if it's an all-you-can-read website, they have to make a profit someway. If I'm going to read a book or comic on my PC, I would like the option to read it on the website or have a copy and transfer it to my laptop. But it's fine if the site doesn't or ever will.

Quote:
That plus, I rather buy/import a physical copy than rent it/read it online...

Quote:
Yeah, but the physical copy is printed on paper, and the economics of printed manga has only ever supporter published a very small fraction of the annual output of manga in English.

I'll admit that the following statement is quite selfish but I prefer reading any form of literature in an actual book. If getting an online account & legally purchasing virtual books will help support publishers in Japan, then, if I can afford it, I would gladly do so. And I probably will since they have plans on getting some interesting titles. Same with American books. But, personally, I rather buy printed material until the practice of printmaking is dead and forgotten.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Finally, they're realising to beat pirates, you need to beat them at their own game, not try to fight them. I certainly will be using this, and I really hope it's successful.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Finally, they're realising to beat pirates, you need to beat them at their own game, not try to fight them. I certainly will be using this, and I really hope it's successful.

Seems likely that JManga as such knew it all along ~ it was always a matter of convincing the publishers that own JManga.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
That's fine. Just curious if that was going to be a possible option in the future.

They did ask about the importance of downloads in their survey about what people wanted in the new site. So they'll have something to show the publishers. I just don't think they'll win the argument on that point.

Quote:
agila61 wrote:
They are talking about offline reading with their iOs/Android apps, and since the JManga volumes are about the same price as most ebook editions of Manga volumes, that seems like it could well happen. There's nothing indicating that there would be anything like that available for the free or all-you-can-read site, and lots of reason to doubt that it would be available for free or for all-you-can-read.

That's great news. For eBook owners.

That would be, for people who've bought volumes on JManga. While nothing definite has been announced, JManga has already talked about trying to work out offline reading options for the volumes that you "own" in your JManga collection, in their apps in particular.

Quote:
I'll admit that the following statement is quite selfish but I prefer reading any form of literature in an actual book. ...

There's nothing particularly selfish about having preferences. When the day comes that Print on Demand works well for graphic novels, it seems likely JManga will experiment with Print on Demand. Of course, like Crunchyroll's experiment with downloads, if they try it when the quality isn't there, its not going to work.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well, lady anime/manga fans, now is your chance to show you "matter" as a market. Current JManga category breakdowns (some items are in multiple categories):
Josei: 134 titles
Seinen: 67 titles
Shoujo: 26 titles
Japanese: 20 titles
Yaoi: 18 titles
Shounen: 16 titles
Yuri: 4 titles

So, the SJ Naruto/DBZ/Bleach category that has been making piles of money for Viz is not really being served by JManga. The "fanservice" category looks to be unserved or marginalized at best. Right now JManga is the domain of "romance" manga. (and really, if you look at the top two categories, looks like they're aiming squarely at the "older" market (Josei #1, Seinen #2).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

They did ask about the importance of downloads in their survey about what people wanted in the new site. So they'll have something to show the publishers. I just don't think they'll win the argument on that point.

I'm glad they had actually considered it. ^__^

agila61 wrote:
[....]
That would be, for people who've bought volumes on JManga. While nothing definite has been announced, JManga has already talked about trying to work out offline reading options for the volumes that you "own" in your JManga collection, in their apps in particular.
That actually sounds like a good idea to let eBook owners, who also have a J Manga account, to have the ability to read offline. Too bad I don't have one. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Keichitsu wrote:
I'll admit that the following statement is quite selfish but I prefer reading any form of literature in an actual book. ...

agila61 wrote:
There's nothing particularly selfish about having preferences. When the day comes that Print on Demand works well for graphic novels, it seems likely JManga will experiment with Print on Demand. Of course, like Crunchyroll's experiment with downloads, if they try it when the quality isn't there, its not going to work.
That's fair; if they take the risk too early without any concrete history or facts that Print-On-Demand would actually be economically efficient, then it's better to stick to the current model and improve as time goes by.

Thanks. This was really an interesting conversation!

HeeroTX wrote:
Well, lady anime/manga fans, now is your chance to show you "matter" as a market.
Why, of course we matter! I buy Shonen/Seinen/Josei/Shoujo/Yaoi titles all the time; I just need to buy more Kodomo & Yuri~ Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
[....]
That actually sounds like a good idea to let eBook owners, who also have a J Manga account, to have the ability to read offline. Too bad I don't have one. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

If they are promising an iOS and Android app in October, a Windows Metro app is not likely to be far behind.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Keichitsu wrote:

agila61 wrote:
That's fair; if they take the risk too early without any concrete history or facts that Print-On-Demand would actually be economically efficient, then it's better to stick to the current model and improve as time goes by.

The economics would likely be OK, if the localization is already done for the digital edition ~ the sales would be lower because of the higher price, but there isn't the fixed cost of the print run to pay back. However, last I read, the quality for art books or manga is questionable. People won't want to pay premium prices for what ends up printed as substandard artwork.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
[....]

If they are promising an iOS and Android app in October, a Windows Metro app is not likely to be far behind.

*crosses fingers* ^__^
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Awesome. I'd be on board for this. I have no interest in their current model which make me buy points.

I joined their current site awhile back and have yet to read anything from it due to how confusing I found it. Crying or Very sad

So if this site proves to more understandable, I'll be on board for sure.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
as a collector of anime and manga I did not like the point system the site used. I like to own a copy of the manga I enjoy. It sad to collect something and have it stop here in the states. I have many examples sitting on the shelf at home now. A quick check of sites like amazon.co.jp tells me that the manga was still on going in japan and just stopped being release here.

Nothing like not being able to finish a story.

with this digital set up how can one be a collector?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger have you considered buying foreign language tankobans? Many series that are no longer published in English are still being published in Japanese (obviously), French and German (considering that TokyoPop Germany is still publishing manga for some reason). The idea of buying something that has a language barrier against my appreciation of it is frustrating to me, but some manga collectors are happy to have volumes on their shelf no matter what language they're written in.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually planning to look over JManga today and see if it's something I'd be interested in. Either way, a Crunchyroll for manga is another big step in this community/hobby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3