• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Two 20th Century Boys Films to Run in Philadelphia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
You people in the northeast are so silly.

I mean, seriously. Philly is only 100 or so miles away from New York and you want them to go to New York?

I make treks to Dallas, Austin, and sometimes El Paso which are distances much greater than 100 miles.

Is everyone in northeast as scared to hop on the interstate and just go to Philly? I wonder...

Not everyone has the time or money to go through a adventure like that. Sounds like more of a hassle than what it's worth.

I'm in the Midwest and had to do an equivalent amount of travel to see a movie in Chicago. It is a big hassle. The tolls are expensive. The gas can be expensive. Then you have to pay for the tickets and the food at the theater. You're lucky if you get free parking.

New York is a major center. It should have been there first. Not meaning to rag on Philly.
NearlyMello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of exciting. I went down to Philly (or was it Baltimore?) to see a screening of Howl's Castle, too, so it's definitely within my reach.

I'm kind of enjoying being surprised by the manga as Viz puts it out, though, the same way I read Monster. Maybe if the first movie doesn't go too far into the manga, I'll give it a shot. Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

New York is a major center. It should have been there first. Not meaning to rag on Philly.

As shocking as the news may be to some of its inhabitants, the entire world does not revolve around New York. Razz It's only right that other cities should get a bit of love every once in a while.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
the entire world does not revolve around New York

Don't kid yourself, yes it does. I don't even live there and I know that.

Though, I do live in Connecticut, so maybe I'm still bias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Indeed. Razz

But seriously, I was more specifically referring to the notion that any sort of film or event that doesn't get a wider release must play in New York, LA, and pretty much nowhere else. It's kind of an absurd expectation in today's society. I think it's great that instances like this premiere in Philly, or the Eva movie's screening in Texas, exist, since they give people in various regions of the country an opportunity to get to experience something fun.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Indeed. Razz

But seriously, I was more specifically referring to the notion that any sort of film or event that doesn't get a wider release must play in New York, LA, and pretty much nowhere else. It's kind of an absurd expectation in today's society. I think it's great that instances like this premiere in Philly, or the Eva movie's screening in Texas, exist, since they give people in various regions of the country an opportunity to get to experience something fun.

You forgot Chicago in that list also. Laughing

EVA got a spot at a prestigious film festival that happens to be in Texas. 20th Century Boys got a berth at an artsy festival in Phillie that had some controversy that they overcame. It would have gotten more exposure in Dallas. On the whole, I bet they wish they were in Dallas too. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2