• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Final Roster + Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Kiba from Wolf's Rain -- Talk about giving your all, fighting for good, and inspiring those around you. He's been compared to a Christ-like figure, which I think is a stretch, but it just goes to show how heroic he appears. He takes pride in oneself, justice, and the quest for Paradise VERY seriously.

Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket -- She doesn't really have any heroic powers: just an ever-flowing fountain of compassion and love. I'm shocked that some people actually despise her character because they think she's unrealistically forgiving and kind, but I think it's a beautiful model for how we all ought to treat the downcast in society.

Edward Elric from FMA -- I feel okay about this recommendation because he's in about the same boat as Kei. Yes, he's snarky and arrogant and has issues, but all the same, he's a good kid at heart and he does many incredibly selfless things and, despite many temptations, never gives up his soul for the easy choice in a world where everyone seems out to make his life hell. His may be a selfish quest on the surface, but underlying that is a heroic venture that ends up not just mending a relationship, but saving a country as well.

Kazuma Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho -- He's like Yusuke, but with a STRONG honor code and actual morals. Yusuke is a hero because he got roped into it and he enjoys a good fight. But he bends the line so greatly that I think if these two went head to head, Kuwabara should totally win. While not as physically strong, Kuwabara is infinitely self-sacrificing, has a tender heart, and takes no crap from anyone. You'd be hard-pressed to find another character who is so adamant about upholding their own standards "as a real man."

Kouji Aiba from Infinite Ryvius -- He has a VERY tough job ahead of him, trying to keep an entire lost platoon of kids aboard a drifting spaceship from sinking into anarchy. He's not the biggest or toughest or smartest kid onboard, but he's got just enough to keep himself and those he cares about alive in a terse situation. A good kid, if you will.

Heck, while I'm at it:

Thor from Jyu Oh Sei -- Just the fact that he keeps his vow to be a humane and just leader for years on a planet that encourages brutality and betrayal sticks out. He struggles because of his physical superiority and ability to kick tail and take vengeance, but he remains an admirable figure throughout his hellish experience.

I'm sure there are dozens more, but these are the foremost examples I can remember.

Seconding:
Dr. Tenma, Monster
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note (Ohba claimed him to be the only truly "good" character in the story, and the only one worth emulating.)
Aramaki Daisuke, GitS
Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
Goku, Dragon Ball (Z)
Vash the Stampede, Trigun (heart of gold Anime smile)
Onizuka-sensei, GTO
Roger Smith, Big O
Shuurei Kou, Story of Saiunkoku

Vote Against:
Lupin the 3rd, Lupin the 3rd -- Yeah, when the sheep hits the fan, he'll usually do the right thing, and he's not exactly bad, but I can hardly call him a hero. He's a thief, and he enjoys jerking people around and (attempting) to jump in bed with pretty women. (In Fujiko's case, this rarely ends well.) He only does the right thing at crunch time so everyone will like him.
Kei Kurono, Gantz -- This isn't a big deal. He's a strong leader with a striking personality, but I find him to semi-sociopathic and morally bankrupt to call him heroic. If Edward Elric is borderline inclusion for me, Kei is off the chart. (I've only read the manga, mind you, but I figure it's the same?)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Not backing, but also not voting aginst, just want to raise some discussion:
Fee and Hachimaki from Planetes. Do these two really belong here? I think through most of the series Fee just does her job. As for Hachimaki, well, without being too spoilerific, he goes through a lot of changes in the series. During one arc specifically, he is decidedly not heroic, even spoiler[borderline evil]

I agree, and will specifically vote against Fee for that exact reason. Her job may be seen as heroic, but nothing that she actually personally does is.

I am also voting against Matsuda from Death Note. That's really a stretch, as again, just doing your job and staying honest about it doesn't inherently make you heroic. With the exception of one action, what he does that could be considered heroic generally falls into either the foolhardy category or the "correct an earlier blunder" category.

I will not vote against Hachimaki at this time, as a case could more legitimately be made for him, but I have no intention of supporting him, either. Same for Soichiro Yagami.

Of characters who have been nominated so far, I support the following:

Duck from Princess Tutu - It could be argued that she's acting only out of love, but her actions and convictions are integral to nearly all of the positive events in the sotry.
Tohma Kamijo from To Aru Majutsu no Index
Tohma from Fantastic Children
Yoko Nakajima from Twelve Kingdoms

To earlier nominations I'll also add:

Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket - About as inoffensive as characters come in anime, Tohru deserves a spot for her determination and resolute optimism even in the face of adversity and hardship, for an infallibly good-hearted nature which causes her to always seek out the positives in others, and for the way she always seems to have a positive impact on those who associate with her.

Sana Kurata from Kodocha - Sure, she's a spastic busybody, but she also changes the lives of the people she associates with, almost inevitably for the better. So many characters in the series wind up in vastly better, and she does it all with no more ulterior motive than because she just likes to help people.

Last edited by Key on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll try and stick this out til the end this time Wink

Seconding:
Kei Kurono - Gantz
Tohma Kamijo - To Aru Majutsu no Index (how many other guys would have just ran away in his situation?)

Nominating:
Hibiki Tokai - Vandread
We're talking about inspiration? Well this guy's legacy is of an epic level!
He starts off as a scrappy show off, but soon becomes one of the main fighter pilots of the Pirate crew. Not only that, but everytime the rest of the crew is discouraged and losing hope, Hibiki is the one to step up and rally everyone together to keep fighting. This is seen in his influence on the three main pilot chicks, and as well as his actions and words in episode 13. But the major clencher is in the final episodes of The Second Stage. Not only is he still the main ray of light to the crew, but he delivers a speech that spoiler[rallies together a force large enough to fight off the Earth Fleet and plays a major role in getting 2 planets who were once mortal enemies to work towards peace.] In fact, that particular speech is one of my personal favorite scenes in anime. Hibiki Tokai is a heroic figure that literally spanned the galaxy and rallied together many different types of people for a common goal, more than deserving to be here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
First, I'll add support for both Kou/Hong Shuurei and Vash the Stampede, who were both on the list of characters I wanted to make sure were nominated.

And some first nominations of my own:

Tsukino Usagi aka Sailor Moon from Sailor Moon: While she can be a crybaby at times and annoying at others, Usagi time and time again shows that she can be depended on in times of crisis and that she will do everything she can to protect everyone, be it her teammates, her friends, reformed bad guys or characters who may very well destroy the world if given a chance. Heck, she even saves ChibiUsa who can be pretty horrible to her. She always looks for the way to bring about the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

Watanuki Kimihiro from xxxHolic: Another guy who goes to a great amount of trouble to help people, most of whom are complete strangers. Even when it looks like someone is a lost case he still does what he can to bring them happiness and is not above putting himself at great risk and even spoiler[sacrificing his own body] in order to help those around him.

Quatre Raberba Winner from Gundam Wing: His first experience in the Zero Gundam aside, Quatre is another character who looks for the best situation for everyone, but also doesn't back down from doing what he thinks is right.

Oh, while I was posting someone else got to Usagi, but obivously I vote to support her. Also both Suzaku from Code Geass and Kiba from Wolf's Rain. And Yoko Nakajima from The Twelve Kingdoms.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Utena from Revolution Girl Utena
She is a courageous and noble girl who is admired by her schoolmates. For the whole series she protects Anthy and save her from unpleasant situations. spoiler[Eventually, Utena sacrifice herself in order to save Anthy.]

Kyoko from Skip Beat
She is able to help people through her acting and helps her friend to face her rival, very often people are amazed by her determination and effort she puts in her work.

Yang Wen-li from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Yang Wen-li has gained fame as the "Hero of El Facil" for rescue of civilians and troops who were abandoned by their Rear Admiral. The connection of care for the common soldiers’ life and ability to come up with plans which reduce casualties to the bare minimum are one of the reasons that make him a hero in people’s eyes.

Seconding:

Dr. Tenma Monster
Yoko Nakajima Twelve Kingdoms
Kenshin Himura Rurouni Kenshin
Keiichi Maebara Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Duck Princess Tutu
Tohma Fantastic Children
Yūko ''Yasako" Okonogi Dennō Coil
Shurei Kou/Hong The Story of Saiunkoku
Pacifica Casull Scrapped Princess
Edward Elric FMA
Watanuki Kimihiro xxxHolic

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
More folks I'd like to nominate:
1. Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)- The nature-loving, strong-willed princess who strongly believed in a peaceful co-existence between man and nature. Her strong traits even had outsiders admiring her.
2. Shu Maritani (Now and Then, Here and There)- A young man who maintained a strong optimism in a hopeless future with Hellywood and Hamdo being around. Such optimism led Lala-ru to believe that humanity wasn't as hopeless with their future as she believed.
3. Naruto Uzumaki- Despite seeming a bit dense and hot-headed, the kid has pure ambitions and is a fierce protector of those he cares for. He even brought hope to folks like spoiler[Gaara and Neji whose tragic upbringings led them to believe their lives were full of hopelessness.]
4. Tenchi Masaki (Tenchi Muyo)- Dubbed "the universe's most elegible bachelor," he might be hopeless in terms of deciding who to love in his extended family. But when it comes to cheering them up or protecting them from an evil force, Tenchi's always around for the alien girls in his household.
5. Kamina (Gurren Lagann)- The hot-headed leader of Team Gurren whose stubborn recklessness when battling Gunmen brought up Simon's confidence and provided inspiration for those who ran away from a hopeful future for humanity.

Opposing:
1. Lupin the 3rd- Sure, he goes after criminals far worst in crimes than he is involved in and has personal honor when it comes to messing with Zenigata. But his desires for loot and women plus messing with Zenigata, while funny to see, don't seem heroic in any way to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Jane Buxton from Patapata Hikousen no Bouken (Secret of Cerulean Sand): Jane is very much like the fairy tale characters who are on a quest and help people along the way, only to receive aid from said people in her quest (though the initial aid was given selflessly). She is determined to find her brother after he goes missing and she lets nothing stand in the way of helping him.

I know she's a bit of a long-shot, since no one has seen this series, but I definitely think she'd be good to have in the tournament (and definitely deserves it).

I have to say I do question Kyoko from Skip Beat. I haven't seen all the anime, but what I did definitely didn't make me think "heroic" in any way. I'm not yet voting against her because I don't know the entire story, but I'm far from convinced about her being in this.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Throwing in 2nds for:

Onizuka (GTO
Tohma (Fantastic Children)
Dr. Tenma (Monster)
Kamina, Gurren Lagann, certainly a huge inspiration to everyone in the series, spoiler[even after his death] and started the whole taking of robots from the beastmen thing too.

Add to the list of nominees:

Ash, Pokemon, yeah, I just nominated Ash from Pokemon, but he is always doing stupid reckless things for the sake of his Pokemon (which usually does not include just recalling them back into his Pokeball for some reason, which merely question his intellect), but I mean, the first Pokemon movie, didn't he jump off that spiral stair case to try and save Pikachu? A really high distance off the ground? And just never let go of Pikachu until he was pried from Ash's arms by Mewtwo's evil machinery?

Arusu, Tweeny Witches, not that I was a particular fan of the show, but Arusu's whole trying to reform how magic is done and be nice to all the little creatures that most of the witches abused was pretty heroic.

Kaneda, Akira went after Tetsuo rather heroically and did what he had to do in the end.

Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton yes, I am nominating him again (I did back in clever/intelligent too). He's a jack of all trades and is always willing to help out the little guy in life (and defuse bombs to save the entire mall), even at the risk of his own. In one ep, even when taken off a hostage negotiation case, he still stayed behind to help them, simply because it's the right thing to do. I was pretty sure he was being a hero-type consiously too and wasn't just having a long string of crowning moments of awesome that just happened to be heroic.

Sakura Kuriyagawa, Key the Metal Idol, what with always trying to help Key achieve her wish of becoming human, even at the cost of real life things like wages, part time jobs, etc., for the sake of helping out Key.

Ginko, Mushi-shi, some mushi are more dangerous than others and he still went in head first to try and deal with them, part of his ideals included trying to live in peace with the mushi, not to just destroy them all, and many times he spares them when at all possible. Part of his knowledge was how he applied it, which was usually for bettering people without destroying everything just because he could. He also knows when to not interfere anymore and doesn't force redemption on anyone, although this could be seen as anti-heroic, I also think heroic people should know when to get lost.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
First, a vote in support of Shu Maritani (Now and Then, Here and There). I can't believe I forgot him, the first time round. Good thing Ggultra2764 remembered.

Also, a vote in support of Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece).

And a nomination I can't believe hasn't already been made, considering that Kamina has already been nominated:

Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann.
He's not Kamina. He's not larger-than-life or macho to the exclusion of common sense. He's small, he's (often) timid or seemingly so, he's not exactly anybody's idea of a big, manly man. But if anyone in TTGL is a hero, it's Simon. He has determination and a plucky indomitable will to succeed for his friends' sake (and for his love). For Kamina, being a hero is part and parcel of what he is, it comes easily to him. For Simon, it's hard, back-breaking work. That makes Simon the better man, in my opinion, and earns him my unqualified nomination.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:

Dr. Tenma, Monster
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note
Aramaki Daisuke, GitS
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
Onizuka-sensei, GTO
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket
Kamina, Gurren Lagann - though he's a bit of a sexist
Belldandy, Ah My Goddess!

Voting against:

Lupin -- Though he goes against bad guys, he is greedy, and too much of a womanizer. And a thief is a thief no matter what way look at it.

Ginko - He always struck me as a purely neutral amoral type of character. While I wouldn't ever call him evil, I think he's too pure neutral for this tournament.

Last edited by mow123 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Yuichi Aizawa (Kanon)- Provided help and support to several girls facing problems that were either personal or influenced by magic. The young man was quite sensible when helping each of them, despite his occasional teasing.
Brandon Heat (Gungrave)- A quiet yet honorable man who was fiercely devoted to protecting those he cared for at the cost of his innocence and his personal desires.

Supporting:
-Utena Tenjou- The girl who wanted to be Anthy's "prince."
-Simon- Kamina's successor as leader of Team Gurren.

Opposing:
-Kaneda- He seemed to be persuing Tetsuo throughout the movie more out of loathing his friend's new powers instead of saving people and personal responsibility.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Syaoran Li of Tsubasa Chronicle, He demonstrates courage and compassion throughout the series, attempting to gain the strength needed to succeed and proving fiercely protective of all his friends. I mean, spoiler[he decides to travel through multiple different worlds and collect the scattered pieces of his loved one's soul, despite the fact that she will no longer remember him.] If that is not an example of amazing willpower and courage, I simply do not know what is.

I'm little hesitant about this one, but I'm going to throw in Gourry Gabriev from Slayers. He's not the smartest character, but neither are some of the others that have been mentioned. He always sticks by his party, and is probably the most honest character in the show. Though seems to lack a specific code, he has strong ideas of right and wrong, and maintains them.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I have to say I do question Kyoko from Skip Beat. I haven't seen all the anime, but what I did definitely didn't make me think "heroic" in any way. I'm not yet voting against her because I don't know the entire story, but I'm far from convinced about her being in this.

Kyoko is to some extent similar to Tohru from Fruits Basket. She also has a positive impact on people that are around her. For example, through her acting she helps Maria Takarada to understand that her father spoiler[does not hate her]. She makes Ruriko reflect on her work and her determination is catalyst for Ruriko's improvement.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow, these pages fill up fast! Shocked

I have to vote AGAINST

Maniwa, Paranoia Agent -- He has other motives for doing what he does in that story. He's more than a wee bit crazy. It's not anything noble, it's the "L-esque" obsession with "knowing the answers." Hence his weird way of interrogating Fox in episode 5. He's not at all bad, but he's not heroic, silly towel-cape or no silly towel-cape.

Matsuda, Death Note -- Nope. He does two absolutely awesome heroic things in that show, and the first was guided by an inferiority complex rather than selflessness or bravery. He's just a sweethearted woobie (and my 2nd fave character in the show), but not a hero.

SECONDING

Shu Maritani, NTHT (How could I have forgotten him!?)
Kamina, Gurren Lagann (if only for his ability to inspire...)
Utena, Revolutionary Girl Utena (She has a few missteps, but certainly a strong woman at heart, and a good one.)
Nausicaa, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Durr...)

NOMINATING
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke -- Certainly one of the most selfless, brave, enduring male characters in a Miyazaki film, despite great temptation not to be from every side that opposes him. He's my favorite part of the movie, and I loved the movie anyway.

Sophie, Howl's Moving Castle -- She faces a lot of adversity as well and overcomes it, defying her own age and poor self-image through helping others, finding the joy in the little things, and making a lot of messed-up misfits into a family.

Van Fanel, Vision of Escaflowne -- Yeah, he's got a fire for honor and righteous conduct that surpasses even his feelings for Hitomi (which are pretty strong, as it turns out.) In fact, he's so devoted to taking down the bad guys, he acts rashly and in ways that would surely endanger his life. If his kingdom hadn't been destroyed, he'd be an excellent king, despite what he seems to think about it.

Allen Schezar, Vision of Escaflowne -- Like Van, but with temperance and experience. At the same time, he gives in to his emotions over his duty because of this shift, but he's no less heroic for it, and would give his life as a knight before seeing his own men fall (or the ladies he must protect.)

Sousuke Sagara, Full Metal Panic! -- Well...when is this guy NOT thinking of protecting civilians and doing his duty? When does he not put the innocent first and remain vigilant despite the inconvenience to himself? He almost pulls off robotic devotion to the forces of good while remaining just warmly human enough to be very endearing. Goody two-shoes. Anime smile

Jimmy/Shinichi Kudo, Case Closed/Detective Conan -- Nerdiest hero here, maybe, but a hero nonetheless! Clearly, he enjoys his fame, but he continues to fight crime when that fame is taken from him at the top of the series. A fun character with a good heart and well worth being in the tourney. I especially like his doggedness in keeping his identity secret just to protect his girlfriend's life, even though he knows it hurts her feelings.

Ginji Amano, GetBackers -- Where Ban is in it for the moo-lah, Ginji would gladly help the hostages and robbery cases he takes on just to help others. Certainly this is to compensate for his shady renegade past, but more than that, he's a helpful, adorable guy with quite a fervor for defending the defenseless. Vash-lite, kinda.

Balsa, Moribito -- I'd totally want her as my bodyguard. She pretends to only look out for herself, but her high honor code and pseudo-maternal nature makes her an extremely heroic figure.

Last edited by JacobC on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Symmetrical_Magician wrote:
Syaoran Li of Tsubasa Chronicle, He demonstrates courage and compassion throughout the series, attempting to gain the strength needed to succeed and proving fiercely protective of all his friends. I mean, spoiler[he decides to travel through multiple different worlds and collect the scattered pieces of his loved one's soul, despite the fact that she will no longer remember him.] If that is not an example of amazing willpower and courage, I simply do not know what is.

I have to vote AGAINST Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle in the Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations it's revealed that in fact he is spoiler[a heartless clone which was created by Fei Wong Reed so as to collect all the feathers. The heart of the clone belonged to the real Syaoran, who was in the tube. The heartless clone gouges Fay's eye out and joins Fei Wong Reed.]

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33