• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Euro Trip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Maybe it was partly because of all the drama surrounding it as it aired, but I found Fractale to be nothing more than a complete trainwreck and was shocked to see it getting a Shelf-Worthy rating. It was nothing Yamakan wanted it to be and everything he didn't want it to be. Plus I found the motivation of the rebel people (whatever they were called) extremely weak and was practically disagreeing with them.

One big problem with Fractale is it aired at the same time as a certain other show by a certain director and studio, who was basically in the process of giving a master-class in what Yamakan had claimed to be doing.

Basically Shinbo made Yamakan look like a complete fool that season.

Haha, true enough, though I don't think I'd like Fractale any more even if it had aired at a different time.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I didn't include Tsuritama as I dropped it out of disgust before the second episode was over, so I have no idea how good (or bad) it eventually became.

I understand opinions differ but at the moment Tsuritama is the best series for me that has started and finished in 2012. Well besides maybe Natsume Shi (but that's a sequel so I am not sure if it counts).

Tsuritama was a story told from the heart through the screen writers own personal experiences dealing with social anxiety. We need more well written series like this in anime.

As for Fractale no way it deserves shelf worthy. You will see from the almost unanimous dislike of the series on this post that it's something best left forgotten. I hope it doesn't sell well, maybe that will discourage companies from picking up bad anime like this.

And to think other gems from noitaminA like Nodame Cantabile and Mononoke remain unlicensed...but we get Fractale instead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
Should I read the historical notes first and then watch the episode, or watch the episode first and then read the notes? Roughly every other episode is about some historical event I've never studied so I feel like I ought to read the notes first, but then the notes don't make sense since I don't have the context the episode provides.

Having spent years of my life playing games like this, sadly, I already understand most the jokes.

Hey! An ex-military acquaintance introduced me to that series! Laughing

lhernan02 wrote:
I am amazed Fractale made it to Shelf Worthy. It wasn't a bad show even with its uneven nature (Ghibli, sci-fi, harem, etc.), animation was good, the "world" was very detailed and made some sense, and the individual episodes were not horrible. But it failed for me at a basic level: spoiler[Why choose an abused teenager as the brain of the world controlling computer? Was everybody else out that day? How did that meeting go? -- Lets see we need somebody to run the world, who should it be? A 50 yr old philosopher - Nope, a 40 year old housewife - NO WAY, a 30 yr old entrepeneur - N***, you crazy, a 20 yr old genius - Never, an abused teenage girl with a tenous grip on reality - WE HAVE A WINNER!!! ] That was just a bridge too far for me, it made the whole thing too stupid to view again.

The Japanese would bend over backwards anything to always insert a teenage girl! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I understand opinions differ but at the moment Tsuritama is the best series for me that has started and finished in 2012. Well besides maybe Natsume Shi (but that's a sequel so I am not sure if it counts).

Tsuritama was a story told from the heart through the screen writers own personal experiences dealing with social anxiety. We need more well written series like this in anime.

Things like it would be nice, but Haru ruined the show for me and I didn't much care for Yamada and the duck stuff. For me, it'd have been great if it were just a calmer show about some guy adjusting to his life and finding joy in fishing, I found the alien plot pointless. It just did not work for me unless they were casting lines to hook actual fish.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Things like it would be nice, but Haru ruined the show for me and I didn't much care for Yamada and the duck stuff. For me, it'd have been great if it were just a calmer show about some guy adjusting to his life and finding joy in fishing, I found the alien plot pointless. It just did not work for me unless they were casting lines to hook actual fish.

I didn't like Haru at first he grew on me a lot. He reminded me a lot of the "Little Prince" character in Antoine de Saint-Exupéry book.

I thought the fishing, aliens, ducks, etc made for a very colorful and fun series. That stuff wasn't necessarily my favorite aspect of Tsuritama but it didn't take away from what I liked the most: the more human side of things about friendship, family, and community.

But I think it is okay to see things differently!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Haru was the blonde-haired alien, right?

He was most of the reason I dropped the show. I can take clueless aliens, but Haru is so irritating I literally could not stand him. The fact that he's a main character and not a rarely-seen side character just made the show impossible to watch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I didn't enjoy Fractale as I much as I originally hoped in the beginning also so going to leave it at that.

Lovely collection though with the manga, Clannad stuff, Cowboy Bebop collection, and the Ah My Goddess poster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Damn, that is a nice looking Fractale box. I mean I didn't really like the show, but kudos to whoever designed the packaging. It's probably a good thing it's region locked or I might have been tempted just to have it on my shelf.

Yea, the best thing about Fractale was the promotional art by hidari. Too bad the series itself never even looked that good.

I don't see the reasoning behind saying that Fractale would have needed 20+ episodes to be good. They wasted so much time on filler episodes as it is already, no way did they have enough story to fill 20+ episodes. The director didn't even know how the series would end before starting, and ... it just shows.

I wouldn't even recommend Fractale to Scifi-fans, because as you said "Fractale managed to isolate both audiences it could've gone for" and I'd imagine them to be even more critical towards this lukewarm approach. Fractale imho cannot compare to the "real" Scifi series a Scifi-fan would be watching / reading. Even the few Scifi books I read this year, most of them short enough to fit into a movie or a one-cour series, were all so much better ...
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

He was most of the reason I dropped the show. I can take clueless aliens, but Haru is so irritating I literally could not stand him. The fact that he's a main character and not a rarely-seen side character just made the show impossible to watch.

Haru's personality reminded of Sponge Bob in terms of his level of irritation to be around, and because I think Sponge Bob's antics are really funny (at least during the first few seasons), I thought Haru was pretty amusing also.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I love Spongebob Squarepants. But a character like Spongebob has no business being in a show about a boy who tries to get over his extreme social awkwardness.

I reckon if tsuritama should have dropped the aliens and the stupid faces and just been a low-key Slice-of-Life series about two socially awkward boys who bond over fishing. That would have been a very watchable show. Heck, I probably would have lapped it up like a cat drinking milk.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Stop the presses. I found myself 100% in agreement with this dtm42 statement. It's too bad, because I think without this element, I might have liked the show.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I love Spongebob Squarepants. But a character like Spongebob has no business being in a show about a boy who tries to get over his extreme social awkwardness.

I reckon if tsuritama should have dropped the aliens and the stupid faces and just been a low-key Slice-of-Life series about two socially awkward boys who bond over fishing. That would have been a very watchable show. Heck, I probably would have lapped it up like a cat drinking milk.

I strongly disagree with the comparison to Haru to Spongebob. Haru was not just there for comic relief. He had moments of real reflection & growth.

And the faces do lessen as the series goes on and Yuki grows as a character. Although personally I like the symbolism of Yuki's face as for me it is a perfect representation of what someone with social anxiety can seem like to another person.

Yes Nakamura could have directed this story more straightforwardly but that is not Nakamura.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
well give seen fractale dub anime give decent watch since was short series to watch besides some worth checking on it.

give really had few more make 13eps maybe add bit more to it but overall series itself bit fine that all.

(by the way can you shelf life doing freezing anime as well?)
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I strongly disagree with the comparison to Haru to Spongebob. Haru was not just there for comic relief. He had moments of real reflection & growth.

I brought up the Haru/Spongebob comparison, and I didn't say they were exactly the same. What I did say is how "I wouldn't want to be around them" is the same. They're both lovable but extremely annoying, and they both yell a lot. That's a more precise way of explaining my comparison.

If you still don't agree with that, then I don't know what show you're actually watching, but you have a right to have your own opinion, I guess.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:

If you still don't agree with that, then I don't know what show you're actually watching, but you have a right to have your own opinion, I guess.

I love how you added the "I guess" next to you have a right to your opinion but I am sure you didn't mean it that way. Smile

I don't care that people are annoyed by Haru, I was too in the early episodes, actually just like Yuki was. But as the series went on I saw Haru's innocence & charm just like Yuki.

Haru reminds you of Sponge Bob, as I said in a previous post he reminds me of the Little Prince (perhaps a more rambunctious version of the character).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6