• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers Acquire Live-Action Death Note Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
If previous adaptions are any clue, it won't be a good look.

If I remember correctly Transformers was a hit. (Even tho it had its own original storyline)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So...Ryuk? How?

the same from the Japanese live action version? Laughing

Yeah...that's my problem...

I never really liked the idea of a CGI Ryuk appearing onscreen, for one,

And second, I just don't think American audiences are ready for these particular shinigami character designs. I feel it may attract the wrong kind of audience *cough*emo*cough*.

As for Transformers, many like to call that film, like many others, the bad hangover flick. We think it's so cool, then we watch it again, DVD or screen your pick, and we wonder what we were thinking. (seriously, did we REALLY need to hear Shia's parents talking about spoiler[masterbation] or spoiler["optimuming his primus?"]

Last edited by prime_pm on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoolyChaN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Hollywood is running out of ideas. They keep grabbing anime and manga for live-action adaptation. Laughing But hope they don't screw up this one.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably change the story a fair amount, but that is understandable. There has already been an anime adaption which followed the manga pretty closely, plus the live-action Japanese films which followed the manga fairly closely up to a point.

But the basic premise can make for a great story, so even if they change a lot of the particulars, it could still be great fun.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
"Death Facebook"
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So...Ryuk? How?

And second, I just don't think American audiences are ready for these particular shinigami character designs. I feel it may attract the wrong kind of audience *cough*emo*cough*.

I actually don't even think that the mainstream won't even know what a shinigami is or death gods for that matter, i mean it seems totally out of society to be thinking about death gods and such, because it deals with alot of Japanese culture... so in other words, if they do make this movie it would either take place in Japan or Ryuk would have a different appearance or so (for example: Ryuk taking the form as a ghost, and changing around a number of things from the original story)

Last edited by sailorsean on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So...Ryuk? How?

I actually don't even think that the mainstream won't even know what a shinigami is or death gods for that matter, i mean it seems totally out of society to be thinking about death gods and such, because it deals with alot of Japanese culture... so in other words, if they do make this movie it would either take place in Japan or Ryuk would have a different appearance or so...

My guess was that they'll change his name to Rick
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So...Ryuk? How?

I actually don't even think that the mainstream won't even know what a shinigami is or death gods for that matter, i mean it seems totally out of society to be thinking about death gods and such, because it deals with alot of Japanese culture... so in other words, if they do make this movie it would either take place in Japan or Ryuk would have a different appearance or so...

If they want to, they can just call him a Grim Reaper or something similar, and people will get the idea.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Psh, they'll ruin the characters. They'll probably make Light a high school... student... okay, but he'll probably be some pretty... boy. Well, L probably... won't be Japanese... huh.

Sh-shut up!

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So...Ryuk? How?

If they want to, they can just call him a Grim Reaper or something similar, and people will get the idea.

thats a possibility, but usually people only think theres 1 grim reaper and it might confuse them a little.
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
where is my evangelion live action? or my akira live action? HUH???
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I can stand Efron. And I usually hate most male-bait actors. I'm guessing it's because he doesn't seem to exhibit an overinflated ego in how he projects himself. It's just a shame the likely guy we'll get for L is Justin Long. Can't stand that poor man's Keanu.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
neggiimmaa wrote:
where is my evangelion live action? or my akira live action? HUH???

Akira is being worked on, (I think)

And for EVA... well the last time I checked I think ADV has alot more important matters on their hands rather then make a live-action EVA so yea, that might never come on the big screen.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Paul Dano as L. Please, please, PLEASE cast Paul Dano as L.
RenTers

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Samuel "L" Jackson please.

He'd be the perfect L.

Too bad it's quite impossible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7