• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Oh this little piece of forgotten rubbish ...

You want to see clips of it?
(Thanks to Anime Bargain Bin for uploading these)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfdvfmepbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRttylhhoo

Ha ha ha one mistake I ever looked at ^^;

One of those things I will never forgive ...

Amazing! I now MUST watch this anime. Thanks for the clips, and Justin, thanks for the article.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Hoo boy, and for some reason this flick makes me feel like I've seen it before. But I'm not too sure I have.

But I'll be checking out it's "greatness" today. YT has a good deal of folks streaming it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
I must say, I keep staring at that guy who is shooting laser beams out of his eyes. It reminds me of one of those internet memes and it's just so strange...
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I've just taken a quick look at this and yes, seems like it's one of those cases where something is actually as horrible as it sounds like, to say the least. Laughing

The next time somebody tells me that X or Y new show is an unredeemable disaster, I'll be able to point towards Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned and tell them that proper credit must be given where it is rightfully due.

The background music doesn't seem to be half-bad though.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to watch it in Japanese with subtitles someday, just so i could listen to Seiji Yokoyama's soundtrack. That guy's music can save anything.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, I feel like I'm watching something on Saturday morning. Oh that clip at the disco that was bad.

Gotta love that pick up line. Laughing Laughing Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
A friend wanted to show this at club last Halloween, but we watched something else. A group of us ended up seeing most of it at Anime Boston's Bad Anime Bad panel. Wow. Just.. wow. If you're gonna see it, a huge group is a help.

-eye gleam-
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I heard about this anime. I saw footage of this anime, the dub is not that bad. I found out it was based on Marvel's Tomb of Dracula. I like to mention this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-24/report/tatsunoko-marvel-aim-for-joint-tv-anime-in-3-years

Does anybody think this anime should get a remake/reboot for this generation? If they do, please let Madhouse or GONZO do the animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this sounds like a crappy anime. How dare they give Dracula a bad name! Suugestion to everyone: Stick to the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker. Or if you're familiar with Marvel, I'm told the original comic Tomb of Dracula is good too.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It looks like those creatively retarded American comic makers decided to spend money on substandard shows. Of course the show is from the 80's, it's no wonder that they subcontracted Japanese studios to produce one. You know what this reminds me of? Recent releases of movie-based bad Anime which Hollywood studios subcontract mostly South Korean studios and some Japanese studios.

oh I remember something. Back in 90's when I told Anime fans that "Botsmaster" catoon was drawn by Japanese. They couldn't hide their shock. They always assumed that Anime as exotic entertainment untainted by creative stagnancy of American corporate entertainment. Ironic, isn't it?
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I remember seeing scenes from this as part of the "Bad Anime, Bad" panel at Anime USA 2005, and it was a hoot, with the highlights being Dracula eating a hamburger and spoiler[the finale, which reveals that the wheelchaired guy is very much capable of walking.]
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I still blame you for making me watch Arcade Gamer Fubiki.

This actually sounds interesting in the so bad it is good category, as opposed to Fubiki which strove for that point but failed on every level.

Can't anyone make a so bad it is good anime post 1998? (besides Shuffle?)

Legend of Duo came out in like 03 and it's the most unintentionally hilariously bad thing I've ever seen. And easy to find!

EDIT: oh, and don't forget everyone's favorite Musashi Gun-doh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
danth78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

My suggestion for BG - July: Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gotaman R!

Good luck finding that one -- I've been looking for it for a long time. Have you seen it?
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It looks like those creatively retarded American comic makers.

They always assumed that Anime as exotic entertainment untainted by creative stagnancy of American corporate entertainment. Ironic, isn't it?

You guys must be so used to this. Sounds like a crazy racist or something.

anyway Marvel hasn't always had a lot of money behind it. If they had been in a better position such a collaboration would have been cool.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
You had me at "Dracula eating a hamburger."

But, now I've got to keep an eye out for this one. It looks so bad it just might be good. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4