• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 1st Half of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Another thing to note: all the titles are shounen and seinen. No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess. Sad

Isn't it less common for guys to purchase shojo/josei in Japan compared to the US and other countries? I dunno, I remember the author of Megatokyo commenting on this (and in the comic, several Japanese schoolgirls find it bizzare that Piro is reading in the shojo section), so if shojo/josei titles don't find as large a male audience compared to America's success in doing so with titles like Fruits Basket, it's not too surprising. I'm not sure about any of this, but it could be the case.

Yeah, but last time I checked, women had money and could buy manga as well...

What I mean is that while shonen/seinen apparently reaches multiple demographics judging by sales, shojo/josei might be having trouble spreading beyond their key demographic (in Japan, at least).

Ah, I see. That makes sense, actually. About the only series I expected to be up there was Nana just because it always seems to make it on the weekly lists they post here, but I guess it just wasn't in the top ten.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Another thing to note: all the titles are shounen and seinen. No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess. Sad

Mei-chan no Shitsuji is definitely shoujo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Mei-chan no Shitsuji is definitely shoujo.

You're right, I double-checked, it's published in Margaret. Mea culpa, shoujo gets 1 out of the 10!

...What is up with Japan and butlers in recent years?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Nothing holds a candle to One Piece though, it seems.

Boy, you said it. Jeez laweez. I'd expected OP to outsell Bleach and Naruto, given how tremendous its fanbase is overseas alone, but for it to be that much of a difference is astounding (and very impressive in its own right).

I'm also happy to see FMA on the chart. Wink
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
lol. One Piece is #1, and rightfully so IMO.

And I'm happy to see Bleach above Naruto. =P
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gintama is in the top 5! Surprised I guess that just shows how underrated it is over here >.< 150+ episodes and mass popularity in Japan and the anime still hasn't been licensed <_< I want to own it on DVD!!
Also good to see FMA up there though it might partly be due to the recent anime production (though it hasn't been going on long enough to make that much of a difference).
Taker128

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad that Fullmetal Alchemist and 20th Century Boys are at least on the list, them being two of my favorite manga.

Agreed. 20th Century Boys has actually finished for over a year now, but the movies are undoubtedly boosting sales.

shojo will always get the short end in this type of chart.

The reason being that most Shojo magazine are released bi-weekly or monthly, as such, they only release 2 books a year, 3 tops. On the other hand, most Shounen and Seinen magazine are released weekly or bi-weekly, therefore, they have 3-4 books realease a year and on very rare occasion 5 in a year.

Per volume wise, Nana is undispute #2 for past couple of years, only behind OP. While Nodame is right around Bleach, Naruto, and FMA range, though it have not realesed a new volume for a while due to the authur on maternity leave.

Other notable would be xxxHOlic, which is around Gintama range on per volume basis.
Taker128

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad that Fullmetal Alchemist and 20th Century Boys are at least on the list, them being two of my favorite manga.

Agreed. 20th Century Boys has actually finished for over a year now, but the movies are undoubtedly boosting sales.

The reason being that most Shojo magazine are released bi-weekly or monthly, as such, they only release 2 books a year, 3 tops. On the other hand, most Shounen and Seinen magazine are released weekly or bi-weekly, therefore, they have 3-4 books realease a year and on very rare occasion 5 in a year.

Per volume wise, Nana is undispute #2 for past couple of years, only behind OP. While Nodame is right around Bleach, Naruto, and FMA range, though it have not realesed a new volume for a while due to the authur on maternity leave.

Other notable would be xxxHOlic, which is around Gintama range on per volume basis.

Edit: I accidently press submit twice, please delete this post, sorry for the double-posts.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Since FMA is released monthly,so your point doesn't make much sense. Another reason for the lack of Shoujo is that the most innovation in storytelling is done in Shounen and Seinen, or that the shoujo titles are stale in comparison with the action titles, or that people just like action, summer blockbusters always do better than chick flicks.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Since FMA is released monthly,so your point doesn't make much sense. Another reason for the lack of Shoujo is that the most innovation in storytelling is done in Shounen and Seinen, or that the shoujo titles are stale in comparison with the action titles, or that people just like action, summer blockbusters always do better than chick flicks.

WOW, stereotyping much? Seriously, go actually read some shoujo/josei before making such uninformed and ignorant statements.

Seriously, go look at the charge that is Top-Sellers by Volume. NANA has the number 2 spot, above any single volume of those series on this list, except for One Piece. If it had more volumes released per year, I am 100% positive it would also be on this list.
larethian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay, OP is godly! 尾田先生's ingenuity always exceeds my expectation. I mean com'on, how long can he go on being so creative and creating such tightly-linked plots and exciting story development? But guess what, it never fails to become better and has been doing it for the last 500++ chapters, OMG! Current prison-break sub-arc is simply OMG awesome...!

The almost "x2" sales compared to no.2 (some title which I vaguely was a fan in the first 15 volumes, but now simply can't bother to remember since I absolutely despise a story relying 80% of the time on "I'm getting stronger!", "I have hidden potential!", "I always have secret moves not revealed in the series until now!" kind of formula...) is a pleasant surprise but not shocking hehehe.

For 少女漫画, I would like one with a good plot and theme aside from the romance parts. Nodame is good and funny, but Skip Beat! rules! Read Skip Beat! I highly recommend it!

以上!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
animehermit wrote:

WOW, stereotyping much? Seriously, go actually read some shoujo/josei before making such uninformed and ignorant statements.

Seriously, go look at the charge that is Top-Sellers by Volume. NANA has the number 2 spot, above any single volume of those series on this list, except for One Piece. If it had more volumes released per year, I am 100% positive it would also be on this list.

1 manga is not enough proof that if shoujo titles were released more often they would sell better. its not a stereotype if its true most of the shoujo titles are bland and poorly written, hell 90% of anime is poorly written, my point is that shounen and Seinen(especially seinen) titles seem to be the only ones with any creativity in them, that isn't to say that all shoujo is bad, just most of it is.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
It's all about the demographics, as someone pointed out earlier.
For instance, there's obviously a lot of girls out there following shonen series like OP and Naruto. I myself know a 29 years-old woman who has every single One Piece volume to date. And no, she's not an otaku or nerd, but just the average japanese young woman.
Now how many guys in Japan actually buy shoujo manga?

Nana is maybe the exception, but it got a huge boost in sales after two very successful movies.
strahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess.

crap material never got love in the first place anyway...

Is like comparing the lord of the rings with arlequin novels, the series in question are so good they are read by anybody...

Except gintama...I don't know why that piece of s**** is there in the first place, japanese society's fault maybe?
Taker128

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Taker128 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

FMA is special case, even though it is in monthly magazine, each of its chapter are 40 pages, that effectively makes it equavilent to a bi-weekly series, while Nana only reales 20 pages each month.

Second, biweekly series usually realease 3 volumes a year, so a 6-month poll could very well include 2 new volumes, one in the beginning of period, the other at the end.

Third, Shojo manga usually isn't very long. most series are under 10 volumes, few go over ten, even less reach 20. So that also hurts their back volume sale.

As for the chick flic comment, true, there is more demographic market for Senin and Shonen, but the top Shojo will also attract male readers. As I said, on per volume basis (new releases), Nana destroys every series not name OP, while new volumes of Nodame last year outsold every other series except OP and Nana.

Take last years' sale (you can find it in this site) here's last years leading books:

1)OP 50
2)OP 51
3)NANA 19
4)OP 49
5)NANA 20
6)Nodame 20
7)Nodame 21

There are 7 shojo books in top 25, representing 4 series, that's a pretty good showing consider both the big three took away 10 spots simply becasue they all released a extra book or 2.

Not to mention, there are many series in Seinen and Shonen that story-wise can very well categorize as Shojo such as Ichigo 100%, Boys Be, Ah! My Goddess, Love Hina, Cross Game, etc. Theses series just happens to publish under Seinen/Shonen magazine but has more shojo feel to it.

strahl wrote:
Quote:
No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess.

crap material never got love in the first place anyway...

Is like comparing the lord of the rings with arlequin novels, the series in question are so good they are read by anybody...

Except gintama...I don't know why that piece of s**** is there in the first place, japanese society's fault maybe?

Gintama is very good, is a great gag-comic, you need to be familiar with Japanese history as well as its pop culture and be a well-rounded otaku to appreciate that series, just like Keroro Gunsou (which is actually an Seinen series) and Hayate no Gotoku. Otherwise these three are just slapstick series with no central plot...

animehermit wrote:

1 manga is not enough proof that if shoujo titles were released more often they would sell better. its not a stereotype if its true most of the shoujo titles are bland and poorly written, hell 90% of anime is poorly written, my point is that shounen and Seinen(especially seinen) titles seem to be the only ones with any creativity in them, that isn't to say that all shoujo is bad, just most of it is.

I agree 1 series dones't make shojo more popular, and I don't really want more Shojo either because right now there are just right amount of Shojo mix, more would be overkill.

What I disagree was the comment with Seinen, Seinen isn't more popular than shojo and that's a fact. You use creativity as a point/reason for Shonen/Seinin dominace, but that's not true. While Shonen dominates, Seinin is anything but, its popularity is about what shojo is, if that.

The top ten series in 1st half 2009 we are discussing right now only 20th Century Boys made the list, and that series ended, which certainly boost sales due to series being completed. While Mei-chan no Shitsuji is still on-going, and base on new volume sale, both Nana and Nodame would made list if they released any books during the period. So that's 3 sereis against 1.

Base on your point about creativity, than the chart should be Seinin series, but that's not the case

If, as you say creativity matter, then there should be more Seinin, but that's not the case, if you look at the Top 50 per volume rank it shows a better picture of each following:

Shonen: 32
Shojo: 9
Seinen: 9

While Shonen dominately as expected, Seinen only have the same number of books as Shojo. Look a bit deeper and takes away volumes from same series and you'll find that the gap between Shonen and sHojo/Seinen isn't as big as you thought.

It's all about demographic as someone pointed out, people that buys Shojo and Seinen are more likely to buy average shonen while shonen reader will only be interest by the top series in other categories.

That because Shonen are really more aim toward all demographic while Seinen targets males 20-40 while Shojo tagets girls/women (15-30). Seinen seems more creative because their demographic allows them the more freedom, hell, most Seinen magazines have gravure model pictures (semi-nude photos, bikini shoots) in them just to boost sales. not to mention that are allowed to shoe more "realistic" violence, sex scenes and topless shots.

It has nothing to do with better writing as well, of the nine books in the top 50, only Saint Oniisan has won any types of manga award.
while other critically acclaimed series never made to the sales chart, series like Team Medical Dragon, Say Hello to Blackjack, Bambino!!, Kami no Shizuku, Sengoku are all good series that I and people my age follows, but they never makes to the yearly or quarterly sales and they all have better writing than say, Naruto and Bleach. But at same time, we still follows OP, and I persoanlly follows Ravage of TIme, Gintama, Hayate no Gotoku, Keroro Gunsou, Nana, Nodame, and Kaicho wa Maid.

There's just no way a 14 years old will follow 20th Centry Boys, or other seinen that I follows, and that's the same for shojo.

It's all about market....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3