• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweet Blue Flowers (Aoi Hana) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2! Man, for an episode about the girls joining school clubs this utterly wins with elegant pacing. And with it, the groundwork of the complex relationships are laid out. spoiler[And for anyone who wants more confirmation Fumi nearly had a sexual relationship with her cousin Chizu who later got married with a guy which obviously devastated Fumi's heart (seriously, having Chizu leading Fumi on like that was seriously a bitchy move Confused ).] It also seems spoiler[like Fumi has her sights on a rather tomboyish girl Yasuko which led her to sign up for the literary club. Of course Fumi the realized Yasuko just came out of the literary club and is actually in the basketball club. Laughing]

The rekindling of Fumi's and Akira's friendships is definitely something. spoiler[I found it cute when she asked Akira to sleep with her.] She can always rely on her for moral support!
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[And for anyone who wants more confirmation Fumi nearly had a sexual relationship with her cousin Chizu]

Not "nearly"; they actually did it.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
I like the realistic and calm feel of this series. The scenario has me interested, so I'll be following it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
1idd0kun wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[And for anyone who wants more confirmation Fumi nearly had a sexual relationship with her cousin Chizu]

With that said, spoiler[that makes Chizu a totally cruel bitch! What a way to toy with Fumi's feelings. ] It makes sense that Fumi tends to be really sensitive with the way this played out.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
1idd0kun wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

With that said, spoiler[that makes Chizu a totally cruel bitch! What a way to toy with Fumi's feelings. ] It makes sense that Fumi tends to be really sensitive with the way this played out.

So they have seks there... khmmm... maybe I should give the series another chance... Rolling Eyes
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I read parts of the manga a while ago and I remember the bits with Chizu but was the Fumi/Akira vibe so strongly lesbian?
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I read parts of the manga a while ago and I remember the bits with Chizu but was the Fumi/Akira vibe so strongly lesbian?

Nope... in the manga the FumixAkira thing begins really subtly in chapter 18 (volume 3) and evolves from there. Still, since the anime is only 11 episodes, it's pretty natural the director wants the hints to be a little more prominent from the start.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3, I guess I could call this the date episode. For Akira's side, spoiler[she got herself involved in a group date with her friend Kyouko and her "so-called" fiance. Amusingly enough, Akira's brother didn't like the idea of her going out so he ended up stalking them. Akira was obviously not pleased! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Though it seems that the reason Kyouko did this group date was to get over her feeling of rejection she felt recently. Considering the beginning of the episode had her left the room (which her and Yasuko were in) crying, this should imply that much.]

Now as for Fumi, spoiler[she got asked out by Yasuko to go on a date. And MAN, I think the best moment in this episode was when Fumi went all massive blushy especially when Yasuko called out "Fumi-chan" and then "Fumi". Seriously, that is one hell of a shot there! Embarassed

And this episode ended with an off-screen first kiss in the library between Fumi and Yasuko. For some peeps, they might get pissy over that. As for me, it works for me and besides blushing Fumi was truly the highlight for this episode. ]

Man, I am enjoying this series a lot. Hopefully Media Blasters considers this one to add to their "Yuri Fan" label.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And this episode ended with an spoiler[off-screen first kiss in the library between Fumi and Yasuko. For some peeps, they might get pissy over that. As for me, it works for me and besides blushing Fumi was truly the highlight for this episode. ]

Don't worry about the off-screen thing. If the series continues to be as faithful to the maga as it's been till now, then you'll see the actual spoiler[kiss] in a flashback in the next episode.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
In addition to all the discussion about all the characters so far, I wanted to add my appreciation for how beautiful the show is, especially the backgrounds. I get the impression / feeling of gentle watercolor pictures and the extra detail I see from time to time makes me think that someone in production cares about what the audience sees.

And yes, the show's characters are very intriguing too. I need a few more episodes to be able to comment competently on them, but it seems to drift more towards realism which is good too. Like a previous poster mentioned, this could be a good show for Media Blasters to pick up.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'm currently reading a book Sparkling Rain, and other fiction from Japan of women who love women. In addition to stories, it also gives a nice overview of lesbian activism and literature. I'm starting to appreciate just how difficult it is to be a lesbian woman in Japan. It is interesting to compare this with an anime like Aoi Hana, from 2005/2009. Some aspects of it, the catholic-style girl schools for example, seem strange, but apparently have been a trope of Japanese lesbian fiction since a time when such schools really existed. Other aspects, like Akira's brother stalking her, and Kyouko having a boyfriend/fiancé she's clearly not at all interested in, appear antiquated from a European and American perspective, but may be realistic after all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4! spoiler[Well then, we actually got the on-screen kiss in the anime while the manga merely implied it! Surprised ]

But besides that, damn things got really thick! Though I have to say, it's very rarely in anime that we actually have spoiler[a girl actually admits that she's going out with another girl. And there's the issue of having to deal with that someone who's that way. This what happened with Fumi and Akira when Fumi cried out to her that she's going out with Yasuko and pleaded to her not to think it's gross. Much later on, Fumi suggested to Akira that one way to deal with it was to accept it and act that everything normal. Seems reasonable, right?

Though I'm starting to worry about Fumi especially with the way this episode built up a foundation which impled that Yasuko used to be in a relationship with her male teacher.]

Ohhh, this series is continuing to own my SOUL with its complex web of relationships and soft yet very solid pacing.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But besides that, damn things got really thick! Though I have to say, it's very rarely in anime that we actually have a girl actually admits that she's going out with another girl.

Yeah, despite all the talk of yuri this and yuri that, actual lesbians are regretfully rare in anime Sad

Quote:
And there's the issue of having to deal with that someone who's that way. This what happened with Fumi and Akira when Fumi cried out to her that she's going out with Yasuko and pleaded to her not to think it's gross.

Fumi telling Akira like that and Yasuko saying that she's brave really accentuate the foreignness for me. Akira's response of "yeah, so?" would be the norm here. Then again, that's experience speaking. Coming out is always scary.

Quote:
Though I'm starting to worry about Fumi especially with the way this episode built up a foundation which impled that Yasuko used to be in a relationship with her male teacher.

My impression was that the teacher only told Yasuko his feelings, but that she didn't return them. She left because she felt uneasy about it. Ah well, we'll see how things develop.

I love the art in this anime. So pretty Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 5, well I guess this starts the Wuthering Heights arc. Though I have to say in this episode, I feel so sorry for Akira! Laughing

spoiler[She pretty ended up in the middle and witnessing Kyouko's lingering feelings for Yasuko. I wonder what happened to those two. She also noticed Fumi starting to get uncomfortable around Yasuko for having her to deal with a bunch of squeeling fangirls.]

I thought Fumi was flat out adorable when she nearly tripped on the stairs when she saw Yasuko in her house. Oh, Fumi-chan!!! Cool
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

And this is part 2 and the last part of the Wuthering Heights arc. It's go time for those school plays, spoiler[and unsurprisingly Yasuko is getting a number of bouquet flowers already. The interaction with the girls who ended up foiling Akira's attempts to hide from her parents was hilarious.] But of course the height of this episode is spoiler[when Yasuko started crying when Kagami-sempai congratulated her. Things got more interesting when Fumi witnessed her crying. Even the cool beauty types who has the ability to make girls swoon can pull off these emotions.]

Good stuff, good stuff!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4