• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse, Universal Negotiating on Clover Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The steampunky (or whatever the word for them is) designs could look good if done well, but it seems an odd choice for a movie, especially considering how little actual story there is to work with.

Not Steampunk. Clover is Cyberpunk fantasy with Art Deco stylings.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that CLAMP drew the layouts for Clover as if it was a storyboard? Am I making that up? Did I dream that?
Well, maybe saying it's not cinematic was not the right word. The pacing seems a bit unusual and unlike most comics, Japanese or English. Obviously it would translate to a movie, but again not your typical one. I get more of an art house or experimental feel.
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The steampunky (or whatever the word for them is) designs could look good if done well, but it seems an odd choice for a movie, especially considering how little actual story there is to work with.
I like to differentiate Clover by calling it Clockwork Punk. It's not really grimy like some steampunk and it's more futuristic than retro. They have very high tech stuff.
Pelianth wrote:
Not Steampunk. Clover is Cyberpunk fantasy with Art Deco stylings.
Oooh. That works too. Very ornate and clean cyberpunk. The designs would be amazing on film.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
W--wow! I wasn't expecting this at all

But I'm excited for it too! I hope they don't mess this up. and I kinda hope they even get the rights to do it

Finally! something I actually like is getting a potentially bad american live-action movie too!! Anime hyper
rinjichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This would be great if it turned out with a similar feel/look as Pan's Labyrinth. Who was that, Guillermo del Toro or am I just sticking Benicio's last name on there and have it wrong?
tudza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, there was that Clover short with the fight at the amusement park that looked absolutely beautiful. Anyone seen that besides me?

(You know, the rip didn't render well on my old machine, must view on new machine)

They could do the pretty little four-leaf girl story and make a whole movie out of it couldn't they?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
rinjichan wrote:
This would be great if it turned out with a similar feel/look as Pan's Labyrinth. Who was that, Guillermo del Toro or am I just sticking Benicio's last name on there and have it wrong?

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Writer: Guillermo del Toro (written by)

IMDB is your friend. Smile
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Americans will get it confused as a prequel to "Cloverfield".

Besides, what is up with this manga film adaptation trend in the US?

I see potentials in:

Black Lagoon
Jormungand
Ibara no O
Eden no Ori
Air Gear
D-LIVE!!
Victorian Romance Emma [saga]
Piano no Mori
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, Whedon will get to direct, since he did such a good job with Chobits, er, Dollhouse. Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hopefully, Whedon will get to direct, since he did such a good job with Chobits, er, Dollhouse.

Oh please, the similarities are minimal at best, aside from the use of a basic story type that is hardly unique to either Dollhouse or Chobits, and has been used in literature, television and film since sci-fi began, including old Twilight Zone and Star Trek episodes from mid-century. Give it a rest already.

In fact, I've already told you repeatedly to stop trying to turn every thread in to another soapbox to continue your anti-US preaching and as a platform for more of your insane ramblings based on your amazingly excessive bias that makes most extremists seem sane. I'm honestly done tell you this, if this keeps up I'm going to start pushing for more severe actions. Your comment here has nothing to do with the topic aside from another attempt to attack someone in domestic industry, and the industry itself. It's trolling, plain and simple, not to mention off-topic. I'm tired of your attempts to derail every thread you post in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
swienke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually fairly happy with this idea, although I think that the movie would have to make a few major changes, such as integrating the flashbacks into the main story.

However, I don't think that the fact that the manga hasn't finished is a problem. I was under the impression that the main story, i.e. the present timeline spoiler[ that ends with Su dead and Kazuhiko alone ], is finished, it's just that CLAMP originally intended to add more backstory. Of course, I can't be absolutely sure of that, so if anyone knows otherwise feel free to dispute that.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
batou65 wrote:
I'm boycotting everything CLAMP until they finish X/1999.

and Gouhou Drugs.

Just kidding. I'll probably be the first to support this movie release. Anything by CLAMP is a must watch for me.

Let's hope they finalize this so the fans will have something to look forward to.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
A Clover movie would be really cool if done right. The "ending" wasn't that bad, it leaves something to be desired yes but it ties most things up.

If this does turn into a movie would it get Hollywood treatment like Speed Racer?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
...especially considering how little actual story there is to work with.

That makes sense to me. Perhaps the world of the manga would allow Universal to form the story as they see fit, if they aren't bound by a distinct narrative too much. The results of such liberty existing in their creative control could go either way, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2