• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Phantom Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Slow and humorless; Zwei is initially unprepossessing.

I'm sorry but can you please tell me where to find the manual that says this anime genre is supposed to have humor.
Though your review was great. Thanks a lot.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I would hardly say the show is completely void of humor. Yes it is fairly serious most of the time especially the first half. Cal coming in on the middle act tends to lighten things up a bit more, and we'll see where the third act takes us.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The first 10 episodes of this series are indeed quite good, but I felt that the show stumbled a bit with the introduction of Cal. To me, she felt terribly out of place. Sure, she is rather important to the story, but why she had to be a cutesy character is beyond me. Her being very moe, coupled with her numerous light-hearted moments never failed to dampen the grim atmosphere. That said, I have to disagree with Carl when it comes to the absence of humor and the like. In a series like this, we don't need such fluff. If you're looking for that, then you're looking in the wrong place.

Back to Cal, I almost gave up on the show because of her. Guess it just goes to show that so many Japanese males -- apparently even cold-blooded assassins -- have a weakness for moe. Still, despite Cal perpetually grating on my nerves, I'm glad that I decided to stick it out. Recent events have gotten me interested in Phantom again and I am looking forward to episode 18 and beyond.

My qualms aside, this still is a very good series. Visually and aurally pleasing -- KOKIA's "Karma" is easily my favorite opener from this year -- with good story to boot.

egoist wrote:
I'm sorry but can you please tell me where to find the manual that says this anime genre is supposed to have humor.

I don't know what manual Carl is using, but mine says nothing of the sort. Believe me, I checked. Twice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the horrible episodes 10 and 11. The only good part about episode 10 was the ending, the rest was just an out-of-character, non-gripping blunder. To follow that with a recap episode almost made me drop the series.
I did. They were horrible. However, IMO, the show has picked itself up after that and is interesting again.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
A new anime on par with Noir with KOKIA singing the opening? I should get on this series then! Very Happy
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the review at all (I hate anime reviews in general) but the show is pretty good imo. I like the way it looks, the animation is well done and the story is pretty good.

Someone disliked that Cal was so moe, but I think it's important for the story. They needed to quickly attach the viewers to her and make them like her as a character and a quick way is to give her some tragic introduction, that allows you to buy into her learning how to be an assassin, and make her cute so you feel even more sorry for her and understand how she's affecting Reiji.

Her story evolves pretty quickly, but not rushed, and if they didn't do all that they did to get you attached to her, you probably wouldn't buy into alot of what she does to Reiji or care about what happens to her.
youngavatar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
i find the anime suprsingly intersting i thought their was nothing good coming out for the spring but this one suprise me let hope it has a similar ending like skull man Twisted Evil .
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Following this series, I've found myself going through a few different emotions. It's strange to find yourself rooting for murderous assassins to find "love" and to escape their hell.

The author of the review mentioned the pace of the anime going slow, but I can only speculate that he needs a gun battle every ninety seconds to prevent an anime from being "slow."

At times I found myself dreading the next episode only to make sure that I didn't miss a single release. What kind of outcome is this Mashimo/Bee Train Story racing towards? A colossal crash for those who would dare root for the main characters?

And all to quickly we find spoiler[the Scythe Master in full control of all of the events; molding, destroying and killing those who dared to cross him. An now with upgraded versions of Phantoms?]

I guess I'm a fan of this anime because I really enjoy the work that has gone into the series spoiler[Like the scene when they did the pan over Ein as she shouldered that 50Cal rifle. It was too awesome!] but at the same time I'm dreading the progress of the story.

Maybe Bee Train & Mashimo might be more into the psychological torture of it viewers. Foolish Disney-bred children be forewarned.

~td99
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
and then in episode 20 it turns into a spoiler[high school drama, and cal goes from short cutie to tall hot buxom blonde.... and they're all phantoms. >.<]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
CruzMissile wrote:
and then in episode 20 it turns into a spoiler[high school drama, and cal goes from short cutie to tall hot buxom blonde.... and they're all phantoms. >.<]

I would think providing context is important, sometimes, but maybe it's just me and my crazy ideas. Rolling Eyes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
There was 2 Kanon TV series: A 2002 edition with 13 episodes and a 2006 with 24. You can treat the OVA/OAV as the rushed 13 episode series. This one is the 2006 series that is longer and develops the story at a more study pace.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
CruzMissile wrote:

I would think providing context is important, sometimes, but maybe it's just me and my crazy ideas. Rolling Eyes

I think the context is "they're on the run from whomever is still chasing them."

but I hope ep 21 explains things a little better.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
CruzMissile mentioned:
Quote:
I think the context is "they're on the run from whomever is still chasing them."

but I hope ep 21 explains things a little better.

With spoiling anything, after seeing it, I think it does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2