• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What determines if an anime is butchered or not when it is licensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lavnovice9, a simple question: would Shin-chan have sold in the U.S. if it had been left "as is?"

A simple question: why license something unmarketable in the first place? Why buy a show just for seeing all the trouble for trying to make it into something it isn't?

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl but that's not abuot butchering, it's about mismarketing.

Ok, it's about butchering the english language and a David Bowie song, two things almost synomonous.

What determines if an anime is buthered when it's licensed? The audience. I liked the original Ocean dubbed Dragonball Z; It had the right amount of comedic filler and less of that boring filler that first came to the American masses in the uncut and complete Dragon Ball Z that Funimation released on VHS prior to DVD releases that were uncut prior to DVD dragon boxes that were uncut "and we really mean it, this time" to Dragon Ball Kai Z which was cut, thank Kami. Which is missing all the great comedic filler...

Well, it all comes down to which one do like as they're all on DVD. Well, except for the one I want, of course. Yes, Nappa, it's over 9000, it's all over 9000 thousand indeed.

I liked 4 Kids. I liked their Yugioh which was improved by not linking death to a children's card game and I liked their One Piece which gave all those cartoonish pirates cartoonish voices. I liked their Pokemon which was also aimed at kids and rightfully that time, I suppose. It worked for the most part as well and that must be what hurts the most, then and now.

"What is anime? ...Not kids' stuff."; One of ADV's old adverbs.
Prime crap from the bull, that one. Anime is what it is, animation which is just a medium that's used to express motion and coming from the company that dubbed Di Gi Charat Nyo, that's pure 100% prime bullcrap.

Which brings me back to my first point, which is my second: marketing. You can keep the title, keep the language, even keep the local idium in the subtitles {you wouldn't want to but it's certainly possible} but then you can ruin everything by marketing a sub only kids' show to 25 year old purists.

I like Godzilla and Gamera films, they're all dubbed. Yet most of the rabid fans would consider that to be a disgrace.

Money? Everything's money. Anime was created in the first place as a form of artistic expression yet it exists to turn a profit.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Personally I'm of the opinion that the only ones with a right to complain about what happened with Robotech are only those who would've if given the choice would have and could have watched Macross and the other 2 shows subbed at the time. That doesn't include me as I was 2 going on 3 at the time of Robotech's premiere, and couldn't read yet.

Even though it was Robotech that introduced me to Macross, it was the Japanese version of DYRL that turned me into an anime fan. I was actually rather disappointed when I learned that Robotech was made from three unrelated shows connected together. Luckily, all three shows have since been released in their original formats, which I feel are much better than their Robotech counterparts.

Hitokiri Kenshi & Beltane70--
I am quite curious as to what your responses might be to this question.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Prime crap from the bull, that one.

They're talking to an American audience, not a Japanese one. In that case, they're right.

Uncut anime has content that MOST American parents would not allow their American children to see, because their beliefs come from the Puritan System and the MPAA and the FCCC follow this system as well.

Quote:
It's not like Steins;Gate's dub where they remove references to other anime and throw in Dr. Who references,

Omg are you SERIOUS!? LMAO that is so awesome!! Anime hyper

Quote:
this is pretty much turning an iconic classic into a crude Animated Fox Sitcom.

I happen to LIKE crude animated Fox sitcoms. >_> There's nothing wrong with making stupid jokes to make people laugh.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
richfam wrote:

In an extra on one of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum edition DVDs, an ADV staffer describes the battle they had with Japan over how to translate the reference to Shinji. The Japanese licensor was insisting that they call him "the third children" (technically the correct translation), but ADV believed that would be very awkward for an English-speaking audience and was wanting to use "the third child" instead. ADV eventually got permission for the edit, but not, apparently, without a fight.

I don't have that edition. What could the Japanese possibly be, for which "the third children" is technically the correct translation? Is the idea supposed to be that there are at least three groups of children, the first children, the second children, and the third children, and that this third group consists only of Shinji?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
richfam wrote:

In an extra on one of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum edition DVDs, an ADV staffer describes the battle they had with Japan over how to translate the reference to Shinji. The Japanese licensor was insisting that they call him "the third children" (technically the correct translation), but ADV believed that would be very awkward for an English-speaking audience and was wanting to use "the third child" instead. ADV eventually got permission for the edit, but not, apparently, without a fight.

I don't have that edition. What could the Japanese possibly be, for which "the third children" is technically the correct translation? Is the idea supposed to be that there are at least three groups of children, the first children, the second children, and the third children, and that this third group consists only of Shinji?

Maybe there was confusion between transliteration and translation? The two are distinct and different.....
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
richfam wrote:

I'd have to watch the show again to be certain, but based on what I'm seeing online, I think they're literally called "Third Children" and such in the original Japanese script. I can't find any Japanese phrasings for them. (Also would never have noticed that the phrase is not used in the Rebuilds.)
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Key wrote:
Lavnovice9, a simple question: would Shin-chan have sold in the U.S. if it had been left "as is?"

A simple question: why license something unmarketable in the first place? Why buy a show just for seeing all the trouble for trying to make it into something it isn't?

Well, that's just it: The show was available, CN needed another series, Funi had the connections to license it, and all of a sudden--since they'd already conquered the fan-legend mountain of "They'd never be able to dub Kodocha!"--they assumed "Hey, here's a network where Family Guy and Futurama are the hits, they'd love this!"
IOW, it was sold on its overblown "Raunchiest show EVAR!" fan reputation, and not necessarily on any cultural assessment of how 6-yo. underpants jokes would play to stoned college students.
Just bragging rights for having gotten it; the idea of translation came later, and even then they didn't stay up nights wondering how accurately to translate the jokes.

(As for "Making a show something it isn't", they'd just gotten Sgt. Frog for the corporate influence of being rich and powerful enough to salvage it from the ruins of ADV, someone told them "There's lotsa jokes in it!", and all of a sudden they thought they could expand a corporate house-brand out of Shin-chan.
Another example of Not the Story, But He Who Sells It. Sad )
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Funi had the connections to license it, and all of a sudden--since they'd already conquered the fan-legend mountain of "They'd never be able to dub Kodocha!"

Ugh, in my opinion, they really failed big time at that. >_> (Dubbing it) You can dub anything you want. It's easy.
The bigger question is "Can you dub it well?"

The ratio of Funi's good dubs: bad dubs is quite positive, otherwise. Occasionally I don't like one of them but I have more praise than criticism for their dubbing scripts and actors as a whole.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Prime crap from the bull, that one.

They're talking to an American audience, not a Japanese one. In that case, they're right.

Uncut anime has content that MOST American parents would not allow their American children to see, because their beliefs come from the Puritan System and the MPAA and the FCCC follow this system as well.

Pretty much. There was a huge debacle on Princess Tutu and Evangelion being children's shows in Japan in another topic recently. Japanese standards are totally more lenient and different than American ones, which is why the 'it was a kids show in Japan' argument holds little water. Often times kid shows there would be adult-only shows in the US.

Overall, I'm in the mindset of if you have to edit out so much of a show to market it, maybe you shouldn't market it at all. It's probably a sign it's not intended for your chosen demographic. Or at least go the Naruto route and offer an uncut version in addition to the hacked up TV version.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Was Sgt. Frog 'butchered'?
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
IIRC, there aren't any cuts but the dub script is largely rewritten.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
EricJ wrote:
Funi had the connections to license it, and all of a sudden--since they'd already conquered the fan-legend mountain of "They'd never be able to dub Kodocha!"

Ugh, in my opinion, they really failed big time at that. >_> (Dubbing it) You can dub anything you want. It's easy.
The bigger question is "Can you dub it well?"

Okay, I know we've quarreled on Tenchi in Tokyo, but just WHAT WAS WRONG with Kodocha's dub? Razz
(If anything, Kodocha's dub seemed so good at faithfully dubbing the Hyperactively Impossible, I felt that much more betrayed when we did get Sgt. Frog.)

We literally never thought we'd hear Laura Bailey as Sana, and she aced it, IMO, while putting her own spin on it--Yes, Akito "sounds like an adult", but compared to the examples discussed so far, that's pretty small potatoes.
And remember, that's the dub, not the show: I've never seen the NY arc, I've just seen the first series that came out, and judge what's there.

Saffire wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
IIRC, there aren't any cuts but the dub script is largely rewritten.

Funi went in unapologetically hoping to sell it to a hip-snide semi-anime-bashing CN audience in a "If it worked once..." double-feature with Shin-chan, and shaped the humor accordingly.
Geek pokes and kid-friendly silliness was turned into sour Family Guy humor, random American refs and self-aware fourth-wall show bashing, and ironically, CN was never interested in the first place. (Too cute and sober for their tastes.)

While the battle was raging on one other forum where Todd Haberkorn used to hang out, he was trying to take one for the company: "Really, is it SO WRONG to want a CN deal, and get some exposure? Sad "
Sorta gives you your answer right there.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Okay, I know we've quarreled on Tenchi in Tokyo, but just WHAT WAS WRONG with Kodocha's dub? Razz

Everything for me. I hated the script-it just wasn't funny, the voices didn't fit the characters. The subbed first episode always had me rolling on the floor but when I watched the dub, I didn't laugh at all. o_o
They also made stupid edits to the dialogue as if to make it suitable for kids....yet it was on DVD. I mean what the hell!? Why would you DO that!?

Quote:
We literally never thought we'd hear Laura Bailey as Sana, and she aced it, IMO, while putting her own spin on it

I did not think she matched Sana. Not at all. I mean, she voiced Tooru from Fruits Basket! Tooru and Sana!? Different as night and day!
Luci Christan MIGHT have been able to voice her but she's the only one I think who could.

Quote:
Yes, Akito "sounds like an adult", but compared to the examples discussed so far, that's pretty small potatoes.

Gah...his voice is HORRIBLE. Again, doesn't fit.

Quote:
I've never seen the NY arc, I've just seen the first series that came out, and judge what's there.

You don't want to. You don't want to.
YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO.

Think of every single stereotype and cliche out there when "anime characters visit America".
That's the NY arc.
It's really really REALLY bad. Not only do we have to put up with dumb cliches but
spoiler[Sana and Hayama get separated so in order to give Hayama screentime to satisfy his fans, they put in an American Hayama clone named BRAD.
It is....
It is...
To quote Phoebe Buffay: It is mind-numbingly stupid.]

I'd never been more disappointed in an anime second season my whole life!

Quote:
Overall, I'm in the mindset of if you have to edit out so much of a show to market it, maybe you shouldn't market it at all. It's probably a sign it's not intended for your chosen demographic. Or at least go the Naruto route and offer an uncut version in addition to the hacked up TV version.

Yep, I agree. I once wrote Tokyopop if they could put out an uncut version of Rave Master and they were like "no". and I was like "DOUCHES...." Twisted Evil

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I did not think she matched Sana. Not at all. I mean, she voiced Tooru from Fruits Basket! Tooru and Sana!? Different as night and day!

That is a stupid thing to say. Can Steve Blum not be Leeron because he also does Wolverine? Can Crispin Freeman not be Tylor because he's Alucard? I mean, they're so night and day! However could an incredibly talented voice actress play two characters who so different from each other? Such absurdity to think she'd want to showcase her flexibility!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4