• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Service to Stream Tekkaman, Creamy Mami, Yatterman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sloggett wrote:
I hope we see the older Yatterman series. In fact I hope we see a lot form Tatsunoko Productions back catalogue. I've always been curious about "Time Bokan".

It's just an unfunny Wacky Races parody. To quote the message of the last Joshiraku episode, once is enough; just rewatch Redline.

Still I don't mind Japan's answer to Wacky Races anyway.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Some more details from Sam "Quarkboy" Pinansky at Fandom Post.

Quarkboy wrote:
It will work pretty simply (note: details may change)

We'll stream classic anime with subtitles for free (ad supported), and allow people to pledge pre-orders of DVD sets, with various levels of bonuses for higher pledges. If enough pre-order money is pledged to meet the goal within the time limit, everyone is charged and we author the DVDs and send out the sets to everyone. Any remaining DVDs from the print run we'll sell in normal web stores, assuming it's profitable to continue printing them.
Any show which doesn't meet the pledge goal within the time limit we'll leave up streaming for a little while, but eventually we will replace it with new series to try and get support for that one instead. Anime Sols is not trying to be a giant library of classic streaming anime, but rather a place where people can watch and discover series to support and collect.
No one will be charged anything unless the goals are met and DVDs are produced, just like Kickstarter.

There is no paid membership, monthly fees, etc. Our business model is to sell these support packages and gather fans of these classic series to collectively raise enough pre-order money to make creating DVD sets profitable for the member companies like Tatsunoko Pro and Tezuka Pro. and Pierrot. Since the LLP is formed from these companies, a maximum amount of the profits go straight to the rights holders with no middlemen.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Sam's idea finally come to fruition. Granted, I only guess one of the three companies right (Tezuka Pro was an absolute certainty, while I was hoping for Toei & TMS), but there's still some great potential in the initial investors. I like how it's not just TV series with the inclusion of Bander Book, and having Yatterman 2008 shows that there is the possibility of more recent titles being available, as well.

Right now I'm interested in supporting Tekkaman & Yatterman, though Bander Book might be worth checking out, at least. Hopefully Anime Sols will add titles like (Tatsunoko) Ippatsuman, Casshern, Hurricane Polymar, Gold Lightan, Zillion, Shurato, Mach GoGoGo [1997] (Anyone remember Nickelodeon's SLAM! block?), (Perrot) Ninku, Yoiko, and Salamander, going only off of the present companies listed.

One question I do have for Sam, if he reads this: Does Tezuka Pro have any control over the old Mushi Pro titles? Because if so, then Anime Sols absolutely must have Ashita no Joe (the first series, TMS did AnJ2) & Dororo at some point or another.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Great to see Sam's idea finally come to fruition. Granted, I only guess one of the three companies right (Tezuka Pro was an absolute certainty, while I was hoping for Toei & TMS), but there's still some great potential in the initial investors. I like how it's not just TV series with the inclusion of Bander Book, and having Yatterman 2008 shows that there is the possibility of more recent titles being available, as well.

Right now I'm interested in supporting Tekkaman & Yatterman, though Bander Book might be worth checking out, at least. Hopefully Anime Sols will add titles like (Tatsunoko) Ippatsuman, Casshern, Hurricane Polymar, Gold Lightan, Zillion, Shurato, Mach GoGoGo [1997] (Anyone remember Nickelodeon's SLAM! block?), (Perrot) Ninku, Yoiko, and Salamander, going only off of the present companies listed.

One question I do have for Sam, if he reads this: Does Tezuka Pro have any control over the old Mushi Pro titles? Because if so, then Anime Sols absolutely must have Ashita no Joe (the first series, TMS did AnJ2) & Dororo at some point or another.

The Mushi Pro titles are not under direct control of Tezuka Pro, however the relationship is complicated (and unique in the industry, really). Suffice it to say we need to prove this model can be a success and then it shouldn't be hard to get them to try a title or two with us.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Some more details from Sam "Quarkboy" Pinansky at Fandom Post.

Quarkboy wrote:
It will work pretty simply (note: details may change)

We'll stream classic anime with subtitles for free (ad supported), and allow people to pledge pre-orders of DVD sets, with various levels of bonuses for higher pledges. If enough pre-order money is pledged to meet the goal within the time limit, everyone is charged and we author the DVDs and send out the sets to everyone. Any remaining DVDs from the print run we'll sell in normal web stores, assuming it's profitable to continue printing them.
Any show which doesn't meet the pledge goal within the time limit we'll leave up streaming for a little while, but eventually we will replace it with new series to try and get support for that one instead. Anime Sols is not trying to be a giant library of classic streaming anime, but rather a place where people can watch and discover series to support and collect.
No one will be charged anything unless the goals are met and DVDs are produced, just like Kickstarter.

There is no paid membership, monthly fees, etc. Our business model is to sell these support packages and gather fans of these classic series to collectively raise enough pre-order money to make creating DVD sets profitable for the member companies like Tatsunoko Pro and Tezuka Pro. and Pierrot. Since the LLP is formed from these companies, a maximum amount of the profits go straight to the rights holders with no middlemen.

So will this only be for Americans, or can international buyers join in as well? I'd absolutely be willing to toss in some money for some of these titles.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
The story follows Yuu, who gains magical abilities after encountering a spaceship. She uses her newly acquired powers to become a 17-year-old pop star and hopefully when the heart of her crush.

Moe crap killing the industry.

Instead of being 17 and drawn like she is 10, she is actually 10, but thanks to magic gets to be drawn as 17.

Seems more like anti-moe-blob.
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Great news. Allowing cash to flow from viewers directly to the producers is how TV should work. We no longer need the middlemen and finally someone has figured out how to make it work with existing broadcast properties.

If it works, a LOT of industry people will take notice.

The named studios all have big back catalogs and I can't wait to see where this goes.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
woooooooo! I can legally watch and support one of my favorite magical girl shows ever~

I can't wait for the site to launch!

I am SO with you here!! Creamy Mami! YES!!

I'll also second the request for an eventual Time Bokan stream... Mike Toole's awesome livestream turned me on to the franchise and I'd be through the roof if we got to see some of it over here, especially the randy MUTEKING!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

So will this only be for Americans, or can international buyers join in as well? I'd absolutely be willing to toss in some money for some of these titles.

We're currently considering allowing anyone to pledge support, however you will need a US/Canadian credit card and shipping address.
The streaming itself will be geoblocked regardless.
Older anime is extremely difficult to deal with on a global rights basis as many if not all of these shows have been licensed in one way or another to various places around the world in the past, and those contracts may or may not still be in effect.

Just look to the recent lawsuits with Speed Racer and multiply that times Europe, and you'll have an idea of why we have to restrict to a single region...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a friend and I were just talking about how we need to watch more magical girl anime when I came across this article. So I guess we'll both be checking out Mami sometime. ^^
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's possible for us to get streaming rights for Legend of the Galactic Heroes to titles like Space Adventure Cobra or bring back stuff like Urusei Yatsura. I'm willing to throw down at least $400 for all four seasons of Galactic Heroes alone. C'mon LET'S DO THIS!
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
"She uses her newly acquired powers to become a 17-year-old pop star and hopefully when the heart of her crush."

I think you meant "win the heart" instead of "when the heart"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2