• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 1.0's 1st 8 Minutes, 1st 4 Dubbed Soul Eater Episodes Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Now I can finally start Soul Eater!!!

With the first few eps dubbed, I can allow myself to properly enjoy Funimation talent!

I'm gonna wait until I buy the whole movie of 1.0, so no sneak peak for me!

Spike Spencer is golden as Shinji. In fact, Shinji is one of my favorite anime characters!!!
I feel kinda sad that Amanda Winn Lee isn't Rei anymore Crying or Very sad , but Brina is tight too, so I'm ultimately happy!!!

BONES and Eva's on a silver platter!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
With the posting of the first 4 dubbed Soul Eater episodes, does that pretty much kill the rumor that Adult Swim will air it? AS likes to have first dibs on premiering dubs on their network. It's a shame, this series sounded interesting, and the vaguely Bleachish concept seemed like it'd fit on AS after Bleach did so well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
It's funny about the Eva 1.01 DVD. Normally I order my DVDs from RightStuf and they take their sweet time getting deliveries to me. However, I came home from work one day to find Eva 1.01 in the mail almost 12 days before it was officially released. I was like Shocked

Anyway... I'm pretty pleased with the dub. I think they did a good job. (And from someone who hasn't seen the movie before because I was waiting for the dub) I love the movie too. They kept the key scenes that I remembered from the TV series but added a lot of cool additions. I liked the new rendition of the 5th Angel and the climactic sniper duel.

I like the dub, however if I had to nitpick, I'd say that they could have picked a better voice for Ritsuko. That's not to say she's a bad actor... or that she did a bad job... but her voice tone and texture just didn't seem to fit the character. It's either that or I'm just too used to hearing the old dub's whiny voice.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Guys go to http://www.funimation.com/evangelion/ cause there are more clips!

RogueJedi86 wrote:
With the posting of the first 4 dubbed Soul Eater episodes, does that pretty much kill the rumor that Adult Swim will air it? AS likes to have first dibs on premiering dubs on their network. It's a shame, this series sounded interesting, and the vaguely Bleachish concept seemed like it'd fit on AS after Bleach did so well.

I never really noticed that trend with adult swim before. But I wouldn't say it doesn't have a chance, cause I think it'll be popular with what you said about it having the Bleach theme(ish). Guess just wait and see, but I got a feeling that you're right.
Eva_ruler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It did sound a bit off.
Although what made me watch Eva almost 7 years ago and making it one of my top 2 was that ADV dub.
Spike Spencer's voice in the 1.0 sound a bit higher than the older dub - which is kind of weird... But I got use to it.
Allison Keith was passable - I liked her more on the original ADV dub. Here she sounded so care free... to care free...
I do agree with Riks: John Swasey is not Gendou. He didn't give high-badass-commander tone and was a bit off power. Tristan MacAvery was the best Gendou.
Kent Williams as Fuyutsuki was also passable, and I would like to hear him more, although I miss Guil Lunde, the original Fuyutsuki...Gave sort-of an Ian McAllen kind of feeling.
Colleen Clinkenbeard's voice for Ritsuko was waaaaaaaaay off. She was to rough, too army-ish.

The general mix was grate, although you can hear them say "shockwave approaching"...

The script was strange.
Dad instead of Father?
The whole "Shinji, I'm going to show you something"
The introduction between Misato and Shinji was kind of stupid - but passable...

For the first 8 mins I'm giving 6/10 for the current dub.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
As a person who has never watched Evangelion and has no intention of illegally download it or pay $80.00 dollars for it, should I purchase the movie instead?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
EVEN ON FRIDAY THE 13TH, FOE!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Well, this is just peachy. I wrote up an HTML document with a table showing all the lines in this video and their corresponding lines in the dub of episode one, along with some other notes, and I have nowhere to host it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
It's funny about the Eva 1.01 DVD. Normally I order my DVDs from RightStuf and they take their sweet time getting deliveries to me. However, I came home from work one day to find Eva 1.01 in the mail almost 12 days before it was officially released. I was like Shocked

Comic Quest had the DVD when I stopped by last Saturday. Guess international shipments arrive in advance from Diamond (for new comics day) or whoever their DVD supplier is. Dunno about any obligations not to break street dates outside the U.S./Canada.

Anyway, for some reason, whenever I try to go to Funimation's site, I almost always get redirected to navarre.com/funimation. Makes checking out video clips a bit inconvenient (assuming they're not region-locked).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Anyway, for some reason, whenever I try to go to Funimation's site, I almost always get redirected to navarre.com/funimation. Makes checking out video clips a bit inconvenient (assuming they're not region-locked).

I don't know what browser you use, but I use Opera and when I have the Opera Turbo turned on, it'll do that. So, if you use Opera and have the Turbo turned on, you just need to cut it off and you should be able to access the Funi site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

I don't know what browser you use, but I use Opera and when I have the Opera Turbo turned on, it'll do that.

I use Firefox. Same thing happens in Epiphany, so it's probably not any of the extensions. I'll see if the same thing happens in Opera or Chrome.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I use Firefox. Same thing happens in Epiphany, so it's probably not any of the extensions. I'll see if the same thing happens in Opera or Chrome.

It doesn't have anything to do with your browser. FUNimation has been blocking people from outside the US from accessing some of their sites for a while now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with your browser. FUNimation has been blocking people from outside the US from accessing some of their sites for a while now.

I was afraid it was something like that. Good thing I can still read the forums. Blocking access to the videos, I understand, but blocking the web pages too? I'm guessing I can access the Witchblade page since it was shown on local TV. Works for Tokyo Majin too. Probably any Funi show that's been on local TV as well.

The geolocking is probably why Opera Turbo doesn't work on their site, since that involves using a European proxy.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Overall, though, it's pretty familiar territory, though with a gorgeous upgrade in animation. These first 8 minutes don't exactly rebut the allegation that this is an unnecessary remake, although the faster pace is nice and bodes well for the future. I'd love to hear the original Japanese cast, but I guess that will have to wait for the DVD rental. Sad

Actually, it gets quite a bit different in 2.0, to the point where it's basically its own separate continuity now. spoiler[...Maybe. There are things, specifically the already blood-red seas and Kaworu's comments, which seem to hint that this is less of a remake and than a redo. There are still two movies which could make this theory null and void, but my personal feeling is that this is about the entire cast getting a second chance (with some favorable personality tweaks), some of them more aware of what's happening than others.]

That said, my preferred ending would be spoiler[Shinji breaking the cycle of Death and Rebirth by waking up on the beach with Asuka, and embracing their destiny to remake the world as the new Adam and Eve. The End of Evangelion is not really an end, you see, but a new beginning]. Or something like that.
Eva_ruler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
braves wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

I was afraid it was something like that. Good thing I can still read the forums. Blocking access to the videos, I understand, but blocking the web pages too? I'm guessing I can access the Witchblade page since it was shown on local TV. Works for Tokyo Majin too. Probably any Funi show that's been on local TV as well.

The geolocking is probably why Opera Turbo doesn't work on their site, since that involves using a European proxy.

Happens to me too...
I sent an e-mail to the webmaster of Navarre - hope they'll answer me.
The only thing I can come up with is spoiler[some way to make thier systems see you as an american IP >>> use some kind of proxy masking/redirecting. Looking for one myself.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3