• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-12-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Shale wrote:
Also, Macross is all about reaching unparalleled levels of ridiculous. If you want something believable, watch a show that doesn't involve invading alien menaces being defeated by pop music.

I've got to disagree with that. It's not as if the music was magic (which was the biggest mistake Macross 7 made). In DYRL Misa even comments that the final song that saved the day is "just an everyday love song".

It's about culture, about there being other things in life than warfare, about those things being better. It's hardly camp. It gets a little stylalistic in expressing this (yes, singer vs. alien war-fleet), but that's fiction; things make more emotional sense there.

That's the problem all of the macross sequels I have seen had. Macross had a wonderful theme of culture's clashing shown by the music making the Zentradi confused. It doesn't make plants grow, it doesn't have magical powers its just the result of culture clash on a massive scale.

I mean when I see something that to an everyday Japanese person sees as normal like eating Kelp I do get confused. That was the genius of Macross, the singing had a point to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
I don't care for bringing over DYRL over here anytime soon, I just plan on buying the BluRay when it inevitably will come out. And I don't wanna hear about any mumbo-jumbo of the DVD release being the be-all-end-all. If the Galaxy Express movies can get a HD re-master, so can this.

As for it being rushed and confusing what not, don't think about that. The importance here IS the visual aspect. You already know the story, so why are you even complaining? Most movies that are part of an established franchise do little more than re-use animation and tell the exact same story with some changes, and that's the worst.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
I did not watch the original Macross show, but I did not find DYRL incomprehensible. Rushed, sure, but it is pretty straightforward.
The great thing is that I got the thing on VHS. There even is a DVD of it here in Germany, but it sells for prices you could probably buy a PS3 for (250-300$).
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
My favourite Answerfans response this week was Kelvin. He's so completely right. People who disagree with me are EVIL Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Big Hed wrote:
giascle wrote:
There needs to be a clear definition that art is not the same animation. A show can have amazing character design, they never go off-model, they backgrounds are well drawn, and it's basically just pleasant to look at. However, if it has only slightly more movement than a slideshow, and when it does, the movements are poorly timed, with few in-betweens, that is bad animation.

Yes. It drives me nuts when people talk about design and animation as the same thing.

I think there's more to "good" animation than framecount. If you haven't got a good visual style, you haven't got anything. A few frames, deployed with flare, beats 24 per second of drab soulless blah. And let's not even get into the whole area of CGI...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Good animation I would say is stuff like DYRL, as an early attempt. It has tons of fluid scenes and the characters do move more often than not. A lot of TV anime today is really just a lot of zooming and panning, but I'm sure it's also easier to make things moves, since it's all digital models and not cels. I guess this is why more stuff is being made, it must be cheaper to make stuff look presentable than before but without trying too hard.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I think there's more to "good" animation than framecount. If you haven't got a good visual style, you haven't got anything. A few frames, deployed with flare, beats 24 per second of drab soulless blah. And let's not even get into the whole area of CGI...

My favourite post in this thread so far. Smile
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't care for bringing over DYRL over here anytime soon, I just plan on buying the BluRay when it inevitably will come out. And I don't wanna hear about any mumbo-jumbo of the DVD release being the be-all-end-all. If the Galaxy Express movies can get a HD re-master, so can this.

Be careful what you wish for. The Galaxy Express blu-rays look awful. Ridiculous DNR that scrubbed away all the grain and a much of the detail with it.

Awful screenshots here
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. The Galaxy Express blu-rays look awful. Ridiculous DNR that scrubbed away all the grain and a much of the detail with it.

Awful screenshots here

I don't know the least thing about Blu-Ray, so...what's so bad about those screenshots?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I don't know the least thing about Blu-Ray, so...what's so bad about those screenshots?

Same here. They look so clear and crisp. They don't have that 70's-90's grainy look either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. "Good visual style" is the art.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
Animation answer needed way more cell/frame count which is probably what you mean by smooth or fluid movement. I'm rather impressed someone thinks that's actually taught in film school.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Labbes wrote:

Same here. They look so clear and crisp. They don't have that 70's-90's grainy look either.

I wish you were both joking. Let me guess, you thought Funimation's "digitally remastered" widescreen version of DBZ looked great too.

That "70's-90's grainy look" you don't like is what something animated on film looks like. You can't remove it without removing detail from the animation itself, leaving an image that looks like it's made of blobs of wax. Those screenshots probably have less detail in them than a DVD. Here's what a Blu-ray of something animated on film should look like:

Five Star Stories screenshots

If you can't tell that there's much more detail in the Five Star Stories screenshots than in the "clear and crisp" Galaxy Express screenshots, that's just sad.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks, a comparison pic was what I needed - I do see the difference (and I have not seen digitally remastered DBZ).

The reason I do not care about image quality much is because my TV is 5-6m from my couch and it's a CRT.

Edit: In the last pic of the GE999 shots, the lack of detail is especially obvious. I shouldn't have given up after 4 pics of not seeing anything I didn't like^^
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I think there's more to "good" animation than framecount. If you haven't got a good visual style, you haven't got anything.

Yeah, I should have said that; for me at least, frame rate is the primary marker of good animation. Although, I remember there was an article on here a while ago that went into a lot of detail about animation styles... but I'm no good at spotting that.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Macross:DYRL was one of the earliest movies to be fansubbed and shared by anime fans back before NA anime fandom really existed. As such it gathered a strong following. But to really appreciate it you had to watch it back in the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5