• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vlad to the Bone

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo/this week's Shelf Life wrote:
Because this is a work of fiction, already populated by pretty boys with crazy attacks, no one stops to question the daikon the size of the Chrysler Building.

This franchise has always been a daikon-fest, start to finish! Very Happy
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Aria is not that bad. Its a harem and in generally if that is your preference of shows you will probably be satisfied with the show. If you dont like harem or only cherry pick the occasional show then of course you wont like.

Plus most harems nowadays are adapted from light novels, and generally cover one or two books, you cant get an accurate picture of the work from that small a sample. And I also beg to differ, the LN is pretty good, once again it depends on taste.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
HA jokes on you!!! They have Cleopatra the next volume. And spoiler[Sherlock Holmes himself soon after]

But as far as it's translated I think it stops there, unless I'm forgetting the Chinese girl's origins. Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
HA jokes on you!!! They have Cleopatra the next volume. And spoiler[Sherlock Holmes himself soon after]

But as far as it's translated I think it stops there, unless I'm forgetting the Chinese girl's origins. Laughing

I just threw up in my mouth a bit over that spoiler
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Aria is not that bad. Its a harem and in generally if that is your preference of shows you will probably be satisfied with the show. If you don't like harem or only cherry pick the occasional show then of course you wont like.

Plus most harems nowadays are adapted from light novels, and generally cover one or two books, you can't get an accurate picture of the work from that small a sample. And I also beg to differ, the LN is pretty good, once again it depends on taste.

Aria is that bad, and it doesn't depend on taste; it's derivative, unimaginative and very poorly plotted. This review goes through and points out basically everything wrong with the first volume/first four episodes.
The only way it being a harem could mean the fans of the genre like it is if being a fan of harem anime inherently equals low taste (which it, like, totally doesn't).
I say this as someone who enjoys the light novels and anime: Aria the Scarlet Ammo is a very bad series in basically every way.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I always assumed that the last two episodes of Hellsing Ultimate were going to be released on DVD/BD soon, but I had no idea that there was no news on when they were going to be released. Guess I'll just wait for news about that before deciding whether or not to buy these.

I'd never heard of Aria the Scarlet Ammo before, but it sounds awful.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I always assumed that the last two episodes of Hellsing Ultimate were going to be released on DVD/BD soon, but I had no idea that there was no news on when they were going to be released. Guess I'll just wait for news about that before deciding whether or not to buy these.
The BD for the last volume is coming out December in Japan. I'm sure Funi will have an announcement in early 2013 that they have the last 2 volumes plus The Dawn extras. However, release date might be trickier to gauge. I'm hoping it will be no later than end of 2013. To be honest I was surprised they released the second part so soon after the first. I expected them to hold it until January at least so the wait between parts wouldn't be so long. I'm more concerned with how they are going to package the last part since they gave us a box to fit the first 2 parts only and no space for the last. Will they give it a rigid, albeit very thin, box treatment to match the current box or will they just throw it into a plain BD case with a sleeve? The last would annoy me greatly.

Oh, and Aria was bad. No excuses about it being made for a particular audience (harem connoisseurs), or that if you are a fan of harem you must like Aria and if you don't then you aren't a real fan. Please, bad is bad. There's another review up here on ANN by Theron and he's pretty open minded when it comes to different genres and he gave Aria poor grades too.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
ANNBamboo wrote:
Speaking of Vlad the Impaler, which by the way, would be a great nickname for a dude's junk
It took a lot of willpower to not burst out laughing in the middle of the office when I read this.

Luckily, I was home when I read it.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Yupa wrote:
Hellsing Ultimate volumes V-VIII: I like that Funimation includes an artbox for both this volume and the first one, but why didn't they make room for three blu-ray cases? After all, you'd expect them to also license episodes 9 and 10 in the near future... Or will they release those with a bigger artbox?

I kind of thought that was weird also. I'm not really sure why they went this route.

I have yet to come up with any sort of reason behind this. It was even advertised at RightStuf as having room for sets 1 and 2. I wonder if maybe there was some sort of oversight? The only alternatives at this point are to make another bigger box and release it with set 3 or to leave it as is, which really don't seem like intentional outcomes since the former will add costs and the latter will displease collectors.

I also agree that it is a little strange that Hellsing: The Dawn wasn't played up in the advertising. It's a rather major extra, and when I came upon it my first thought was that it was a mistake not to make use of it in the advertising. This is especially true given that the credits on the earlier volumes all hinted that The Dawn would be animated at some point.

Despite some moves that were questionable, I'm just so excited to have more Hellsing Ultimate with New Generation handling the dubbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2