• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hunter x Hunter DVD Set 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
If you think Gon sounds like a 4 year old kid in the Japanese version, then you've clearly never actually heard what a 4 year old Japanese kid sounds like. On the other hand, Gon in the dub sounds like a middle aged woman. Not even a middle aged woman trying and failing to sound like a teen/pre-teen boy like, say, Naruto's dub VA. Just a middle aged woman, period.

Also, Kurapica is supposed to be intentionally androgynous and is treated as such...pretty much everywhere. He's extremely feminine to the point that the topic of whether or not he's actually male is something that seems to come up pretty much any time anybody ever mentions the series. I'm...not really sure how you could have seen so much of the series and not known this.

Simply put, HXH is an objectively awful dub. It's a bottom of the barrel, bare minimum production based out of Edmonton (because Edmonton is certainly known for its deep vocal talent pool) done as absolutely cheaply as humanly possible. It's a good step or two above Odex Singapore dubs for sure, and it still beats a lot of New York dubs from the 90s, but I'm pretty sure even Viz would acknowledge that it's not what anybody in their right mind would call a "good" dub.

calm down. I think it's a good dub. Some people will some people won't.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
If you think Gon sounds like a 4 year old kid in the Japanese version, then you've clearly never actually heard what a 4 year old Japanese kid sounds like.

Do Japanese 4 year olds sound any different from other 4 years
aside from speaking a different language?
Gon sounds too hyper in the Japanese.

On the other hand, Gon in the dub sounds like a middle aged woman. Not even a middle aged woman trying and failing to sound like a teen/pre-teen boy like, say, Naruto's dub VA. Just a middle aged woman, period.

It is quite obvious that Gon is played by an older woman. However
I can at least get used to the voice enough to the point it's not
annoying to me. Gon's Japanese Dub annoys me.

Also, Kurapica is supposed to be intentionally androgynous and is treated as such...pretty much everywhere. He's extremely feminine to the point that the topic of whether or not he's actually male is something that seems to come up pretty much any time anybody ever mentions the series. I'm...not really sure how you could have seen so much of the series and not known this.

Yes I do know this. But I still don't see it as a reason to have a girl
voice a 17 year old male. Unless there's some kind of lame plot
twist where Kurapica is actually a girl he shouldn't have a girl's
voice. Even the girlyest of 17 year old boys do not sound like
a girl. You can get away with a 7 year old boy sounding like a girl
because their voices are less distinct from a 7 year old girl's voice.

Simply put, HXH is an objectively awful dub. It's a bottom of the barrel, bare minimum production based out of Edmonton (because Edmonton is certainly known for its deep vocal talent pool) done as absolutely cheaply as humanly possible. It's a good step or two above Odex Singapore dubs for sure, and it still beats a lot of New York dubs from the 90s, but I'm pretty sure even Viz would acknowledge that it's not what anybody in their right mind would call a "good" dub.

Compared to other dubs I've seen like Naruto (which I think is a great dub. Early episodes though not so much) it's definitely lacking. I agree that Hunter x Hunter anime got the opposite of "the special treatment" in almost all aspects. If I were to grade
the dub I'd give it a C+ (the sub would get a D). As mediocre
as the dub is I say it still has some crowning jewels. Brendan
Hunter as Hisoka steals the show. He's got the attitude
of Hisoka---a whimsical liar. In the Japanese sub he just sounds
quirky although he IS quirky to be fair, still there's nothing
really that stands out about him. For such a flamboyant
character he should stand out. In the dub he does.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
Feitan was just down right horrible. The guy needs a creepy voice.

Feitan's Japanese voice is creepy. It's just hilariously overacted, but that's clearly intentional (especially by the Greed Island OVAs). The dub Feitan just mumbles nonsense. Did Viz's manga translation have him speaking like a caveman?
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Feitan speaks with bad grammar because he's not speaking in his native language of Chinese (I think it's Chinese. Read Volume 22 and you'll see).
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I'll be watching this soon, but maybe I should wait first until Viz dubs the OVAs?!

No because there is no guarantee that they will dub it.

Well that's a shame, in this day and age it should be a guarantee IMO.

russ869 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I'll be watching this soon, but maybe I should wait first until Viz dubs the OVAs?!

No because there is no gurrantee that they will dub it.

That is correct. Although the TV series ending is sort of an unresolved cliffhanger without the first 8 episode OVA.

Well maybe they'll at least license and dub the first 8 Episode OVA series then?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2