• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stairway to Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
...and mysterious naked girls who fall on you are a dime a dozen.

*looks up.

Liar.

I have to admit it was comical to read about Baccano's possible spoiler notices yet the review still did the same thing. Though, that would be extraordinarily challenging not to do.

Your words were pretty much on par of other things I've read (never did Wiki and don't plan to), so I'm excited for what appears to be fresh and exciting. I threw this in my last order, which should arrive sometime this week.

*looks up again.

*sigh*
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Johnathan, you should be proud of that Air TV boxart too, I know I'd kill to have one of those...

Sadly since they're out of production, they're slightly overpriced in my book.

Is $7.00 overpriced?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the good words about my shelves! I'm Jonathan.

John Casey wrote:
Gaaarwg! It eats me... I had a golden chance to snag that Ryougi Shiki statue for $40...and I passed on it!!! >_____<

Aaah sorry to make you remember some cruel memories. Razz I was lucky enough not to miss the preorders, so I got it for its regular price (roughly 80$) and it was totally worth it. The quality is just amazing. 40 bucks man... how could you! Razz

Kyogissun wrote:
Johnathan, you should be proud of that Air TV boxart too, I know I'd kill to have one of those...

Sadly since they're out of production, they're slightly overpriced in my book.

Heheh it certainly is one of the prettiest boxset I own, but like TheTheory just pointed out, you can get it for pretty cheap on TRSI. Seems like they have a couple of copies left.

Wooga wrote:
Nice shelves, I wonder if he has Welcome to the NHK volume 6.

I do. Wink

pachy_boy wrote:

This week's guy has a great collection, although I'm curious as to why he has both all the single discs and the thinpak for Rahxephon. I so want to know where he got the Higurashi poster as well, me being the huge Higurashi fan that I am (in addition to the series and the manga I also own all the import CD's).

Yeah, I get that question all the time. The left artbox was meant to hold the "regular singles"and came with the RahXephon the Motion Picture dvd. So it's mostly empty, but the box it's still pretty nice. The other artbox is a newer thinpak release of the series.

Now, the Higurashi poster is a tricky case, I actually had it made for me. I just happened to find an high quality image file, loved it, and tried to get my local staples depot to make a poster out of it for it. And somehow, it worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
...and tried to get my local staples depot to make a poster out of it for it. And somehow, it worked.

Somehow? Just what the hell is your secret? I always get the "we can't do copyright works, sorry" reply.

I'm thinking there were some dollars passed under the table on this deal.
Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
So why is Linebarrels Rental Worthy? As far as I can tell, the most positive thing you say is that in his other work, the producer does something you like even if it's poorly done here.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
...and tried to get my local staples depot to make a poster out of it for it. And somehow, it worked.

Somehow? Just what the hell is your secret? I always get the "we can't do copyright works, sorry" reply.

I'm thinking there were some dollars passed under the table on this deal.
Wink

Hahaha, actually I was expecting to get that kind of answer. The girl did ask me where I got this image from, told her I made it myself using photoshop (yeah right!), and yeah... she believed it.
30$ total, and no, no money under the table. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Now, the Higurashi poster is a tricky case, I actually had it made for me. I just happened to find an high quality image file, loved it, and tried to get my local staples depot to make a poster out of it for it. And somehow, it worked.

Wow, I had no idea. Looks completely authentic.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Phew! Hearing all these good things about Baccano! makes me glad I put my order in for the singles during the last Funi sale. Ultra-violence with a good story - how can a person go wrong?
Also, for any subbies who may have watched the dub for Baccano! - is it worth switching over? A lot of times I'll watch a dub for a series if the characters are supposed to be speaking English, but I've heard that some of the accents in the dub are kind of funny. I guess I'll try it in English first and see how it goes...
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
A Pertwee-era Dr. Who and a Reading Rainbow reference in the same column? Awesome.

Personally, I found the first episode of Baccano! to be a good hook for the series -- more of a twenty-five minute teaser trailer, really. I would compare it to early Hero and Lost episodes, where the viewer may not know what exactly is happening in the show, but is promised a lot of character-driven fun.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

Aaah sorry to make you remember some cruel memories. Razz I was lucky enough not to miss the preorders, so I got it for its regular price (roughly 80$) and it was totally worth it. The quality is just amazing. 40 bucks man... how could you! Razz

Kick me in the nuts while I'm down, will you...! *shakes fist*

Btw, speaking of KnK, is that a copy of volume 3 you've got sitting next to her in the shelf?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was like the episode of Daria where she suggests the children play "mushroom," claiming that the rules are "Whoever makes a noise or drops a spore loses."

Just to be annoying... 'lichen', not 'mushroom'. Which was what they played after they finished 'cemetery'. Laughing

I didn't realize until reading this that Taniguchi did Linebarrels- or Code Geass. I loved Ryvius, and I'm currently enjoying Geass, so I have higher hopes for my newly-won copy of Linebarrels of Iron. (And I wish Mr. Taniguchi would come back to my local con. I got his autograph a few years ago, but in my attempt to juggle all my crap and get out of people's way I hit the pencilboard and smudged it. I've love to try again!)

Last edited by DuelLadyS on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Goro Taniguchi's a good -not great- director but it's important to note that his involvement with Linebarrels of Iron was actually from the somewhat unusual position of "Creative Producer" and whatever that amounts to. I would assume it means he gave the staff some ideas, good or bad, but the actual execution left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I would say there is ample evidence that Code Geass appealed to a fairly wide audience of both genders -mecha fans included- and this would explain, for a start, why it was more successful than Linebarrels of Iron by at least one or two orders of magnitude, so it's a bit questionable to artificially limit the show's fanbase to just girls. I don't know about anyone else but I found the show rather interesting in a number of ways. Speaking in terms of character, for instance, Lelouch might not have been a flawless hero either and yet, unlike Kouichi, you could actually understand where he was coming from most of the time instead of dismissing him as an immature jerk (aside from his sister obsession).

Moving on, I do find myself agreeing with the Baccano! review and its Shelf Worthy rating. I also think that episode 13 made for a pretty good ending on its own, but even the bonus episodes provided some nice closure on their own. Both outcomes are fine by me.
Losstarot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
I'm all about Pluto these days. It's really refreshing to find a series set in the future that has a realistic feel about its technology. I love the tension and the way it keeps the villain hidden from you, so every time it strikes it's even more terrifying. And I absolutely love all the main robot characters, most of all Gesicht and Epsilon.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
I'm all about Pluto these days. It's really refreshing to find a series set in the future that has a realistic feel about its technology. I love the tension and the way it keeps the villain hidden from you, so every time it strikes it's even more terrifying. And I absolutely love all the main robot characters, most of all Gesicht and Epsilon.

Pluto is awesome, though by the big finale, 20th Century Boys is better. It just takes way longer to get there (24 volumes and spoiler[20 years]). Pluto will be over much faster... so Viz, would you mind picking up Yawara! already?!

Quote:
the last three episodes just feel like some bonus backstory and a brief after-the-fact plot.

Well, that's what they actually are. The three OVA episodes of Baccano! (which actually were released in fansubs) were scattered through the Japanese DVD releases as an incentive to get people to buy them. They feature some of the more absurdly popular characters (Claire Stanfield and Graham Specter, and yes they're insanely popular, I hang out at a Japanese fanart site), and are basically an epilogue. I like the series as a whole, with the conversational bookends (the first episode is boring the first time through, but with episode 16 makes the whole thing have a message the second time through, which is nice), but 14-16 really ought to be viewed in a separate sitting a while after 1-13.

Baccano! is a big favorite for me. I'm even (*gulp*) going to try watching it all the way through dubbed. I watched the first two episodes dubbed on Funimation's website, and my reaction to the New York accents involved a certain amount of cringing, but otherwise the voice actors seemed well suited to their roles (particularly the duo playing Isaac and Miria).
skyechan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Second, whenever there is a caption in the movie—and there are a lot of captions—a gray box blocks out the kanji and overlays the English text. The gray boxes have no drop shadow and look really inelegant and amateurish. Also, the opening title is displayed in the worst font ever (OK, it's not Comic Sans, but it's pretty bad).

Aww man. TMS gave FUNimation their edited version again... I feel a little bad for FUNimation. They can't give us a proper DVD release of the movies because TMS keeps forcing them to use an edited version with the overlays already done (and horribly done...movie 3 there was at least one instance of someone's name not being changed to its English counterpart).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7