• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakemonogatari Vol. 4 Blu-ray Sells 48,000 in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I watched Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, which had a lot of shaft laziness in there, too. Their poor animation quality is becoming infamous.

Um, what? SHAFT has been generally getting better with animation, not counting the times they fail to completely animating episodes before air date (something have a bit of a track record with, going back to at least Moon Phase). SZS has a more manic style to its art and animation; comparing it to a typical show isn't really a good benchmark.

The comment about them half-assing it as well doesn't make sense, as when the DVDs (the product that they make money on) come out, they correct any problems that appeared in the TV airings. Half-assing it would be if they didn't correct their mistakes.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I only watched a few episodes but I didn't like this anime at all. I think the first sign was in the second episode when the girl started walking around naked. I thought to myself "this is one of those anime". And then the next episode she's practically begging the main character to *uck her. Its a shame its selling so well.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
Just started watching this show last week on a whim, without any preconceived notion of what it was and I'm loving it so far, but I haven't gotten to the snake arc yet so now I'm kind of scared.

Don't be. I honestly didn't notice that many animation flaws or anything when I watched it, certainly not more so than in other arcs. For me at least, the snake arc's main weakness was actually its plot and the new character, but it still is loads better than most other comparable anime, not to mention that it features some pretty hilarious dialogue between Araragi and Kanbaru.

Honestly though, trying to criticize Bakemonogatari because of the animation is kind of like getting pissed off because you got a 98% on a test instead of 100%. It's still an A+ no matter how you look at it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed bakemonogatari but i think everyone's overrating it by a lot

nadeko snake was my favorite arc tho..but that's probably purely because of Kana Hanazawa
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I enjoyed bakemonogatari but i think everyone's overrating it by a lot

Hmm, everything is overrated in someone's eyes. Besides most we had so far were people asking how they sold that many, or criticizing the animation, so, shouldn't you be saying "underrating"?
Quote:
...top-selling television anime Blu-ray Disc in Japan so far.

I also don't know what kind of comments would sound like overrating something that sold that many. Definitely none we had so far.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Gotta laugh at the people trying to bad mouth this show.
The reason it sells so well is because it ticks so many boxes for such a wide audience.
The dialogue is superb, engaging and whitty. The more mature folks can apprecaite this and be drawn in.
The characters are lovable and have enough development to get you attached to them and feel for what they're going through.
The animation style is different from your average show and drags you in with that alone.
The VA work is top-notch with a quality performance from all cast members.
Then you have all the fanservice, lolicon, etc, ie the stuff to draw in the otaku.
So yeah, I'm very happy for this show to be doing so well. Much better than tripe like K-ON or Haruhi getting the sales.
As for this volume selling so well, combine the missing animation with the quality of the arc and SHAFT was always onto a winner.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Vol 4. is what? Nadeko Snake?

Not surprised, that arc looked like such a mess with the TV airing. and SHAFT's repeated signs of "visuals cut due to circumstances"

Well, guessing from the image posted on the article page, it could have been "visuals cut due to all the cutlery emerging from her ______"
Razz

This is probably selling so well since there are so many otaku types in Japan. The women obviously don't want to marry them (inferred from the declining birthrate thingy), so they have to replace "wives" and "girlfriends" with "something" (be it videos or "subsidized dating").

OTOH - It's good to see EVA selling well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Vol 4. is what? Nadeko Snake?

Not surprised, that arc looked like such a mess with the TV airing. and SHAFT's repeated signs of "visuals cut due to circumstances"

Well, guessing from the image posted on the article page, it could have been "visuals cut due to all the cutlery emerging from her ______"
Razz

Hahah, that girl is actually the focus of the first arc (Hitagi Crab).

The fourth focuses on a total loli who gets nekkid or is in a school swimsuit the majority of the time. Yeah... I love people talking about how much better Bakemonogatari is because it's not as pandering as K-ON! I just look at them like they're insane.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Gotta laugh at the people trying to bad mouth this show.
The reason it sells so well is because it ticks so many boxes for such a wide audience.
The dialogue is superb, engaging and whitty. The more mature folks can apprecaite this and be drawn in.
The characters are lovable and have enough development to get you attached to them and feel for what they're going through.
The animation style is different from your average show and drags you in with that alone.
Then you have all the fanservice, lolicon, etc, ie the stuff to draw in the otaku.
So yeah, I'm very happy for this show to be doing so well. Much better than tripe like K-ON or Haruhi getting the sales.
As for this volume selling so well, combine the missing animation with the quality of the arc and SHAFT was always onto a winner.

Because
Sale=Quality
right?
Any chance you wanna take your head out of your ass and wake up and smell SHAFT's marketing ploy (release unfinished episode, shell out the dvds with finished episodes and new animation and extras) then I'll take your word for it Rolling Eyes
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Any chance you wanna take your head out of your ass and wake up and smell SHAFT's marketing ploy (release unfinished episode, shell out the dvds with finished episodes and new animation and extras) then I'll take your word for it Rolling Eyes

Oh, please, forgive them for wanting to sell their anime; not just have thousands watch it for free via fansubs, and later complain about it even though they didn't pay. Not just funny, it's hilarious. Wait, I'll check the mirror. Okay, I really am laughing, so I guess it really is hilarious. And the worst part is that I forgot my cigarettes at work.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Gotta laugh at the people trying to ass-kiss this show.
The reason it sells so well is because it ticks so many fetishes for such a wide audience.
The dialogue is excruciating, long-winded and sh!tty. The more mature folks can agree brevity is the soul of wit.
The characters are unbelievable and have enough melodrama to get you detached to them and laught at what they're going through.
The animation style is superfluous from your average show and confuses you in with that alone.
Then all you have are the fanservice, lolicon, etc, ie the stuff to draw in the majority of the people who buys the DVD/BRD.
So yeah, he's very happy for this show to be doing so well. Much better than tripe like K-ON or Haruhi getting the sales.
As for this volume selling so well, there are enough otakus in Japan that likes Bakemonogatari.
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Gotta laugh at the people trying to ass-kiss this show.
The reason it sells so well is because it ticks so many fetishes for such a wide audience.
The dialogue is excruciating, long-winded and sh!tty. The more mature folks can agree brevity is the soul of wit.
The characters are unbelievable and have enough melodrama to get you detached to them and laught at what they're going through.
The animation style is superfluous from your average show and confuses you in with that alone.
Then all you have are the fanservice, lolicon, etc, ie the stuff to draw in the majority of the people who buys the DVD/BRD.
So yeah, he's very happy for this show to be doing so well. Much better than tripe like K-ON or Haruhi getting the sales.
As for this volume selling so well, there are enough otakus in Japan that likes Bakemonogatari.

I give you a 5/10 purely for effort.

I really enjoyed this show, even having it as my number one show of last year, but i still find it a bit weird that it's doing this great in sales. Never would have thought it'd be this popular when I watched it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Nadeko Snake wasn't the best arc by far. In fact, I think it was the worst, and not just because of the half-animated fight. My favourite - and the one I think is easily the best - is actually Suruga Monkey. It was far more interesting, with a great story, gripping character interactions, and one heck of a thrilling fight scene (watching spoiler[Kanbaru twirl Koyomi about by his own intestines was just awesome]).

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely, Suruga Monkey is the arc that made me love Bakemonogatari.

And Nadeko Snake was the arc that made me dislike it.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Shaft has been quite public about their lack of staff for a while now. It's safe to assume it's not some marketing ploy, but rather them genuinely lacking the manpower to produce in the given time frame. If anything, I think it's more appropriate to applaud Akiyuki Shinbo for being able to take what little he's given and squeeze out a finished product that's not 90% terrible.

Personally, I find his ability to make 10 minutes of talking heads not so abhorrently boring to be quite noteworthy. Not to say he's always amazing (*cough* Tale of Melodies *cough*), but he's managed to keep things interesting and sell some merchandise in the process.

Now if only we can get Tsubasa Neko...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4