• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Living for the Day After Tomorrow DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Sounds promising. Another good sign for me is that doing a search on Hobby Search turned nothing. In other words, they didn't make boobie mouse pads for it.

It's unusual quality anime. Surprised
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was absolutely gobsmacked that this got licensed - i guess this means that there's hope for some other shows I liked too...

While age-swap comedies are nothing particularly new, this series handled it in a thoughtful way which for me really worked well.

My copy is winging its way to me as I write.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Stretch24 wrote:
My problem with the character designs was that while Amino is supposed to be the same age as Karada (in her original form) he looks something like five years older to me.

The story is that Amino is tall for his age and is mistaken for "older" quite often, I don't remember if Karada is supposedly "young" looking for her age (before the switch). I think it's intentional that they COULD pass for a couple when her body gets aged.

I was interested in this show when I read the review here on ANN, then was totally sold when I knew the character designs were by Ikuko Itoh.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Oh, I was about the burn the fansub to disc. Had no idea it was licensed. I'll have to pick it up some time.

It's certainly nice to see a straight drama since there's so few of them, and one that uses a fantastic element in such a restrained way is rarer still. Still, it had its problems. The resolutions of the last episode feel a little shaky, and the apparent implication that spoiler[Shoko and Hiro get back together] doesn't feel right at all to me.

It's kind of sad that "there's only a few spelling and grammer mistakes" is something to be happy about. Oh, Sentai...I think I'm glad they gave up the ADV name rather than let it sink to this. Still, I'm happy they decided to license an odd ball like this one.

I haven't read the manga, but some of the changes the TV series made seem to be improvements to me. spoiler[Hiro Karada's father? But then he has an orthodox social obligation to take care of her, even if he won't tell anyone about it. That makes his leaving Shoko much less interesting.]

chicogrande wrote:
Another good sign for me is that doing a search on Hobby Search turned nothing. In other words, they didn't make boobie mouse pads for it.

They could have if they wanted to: Karada's adult form is nudging against implausability re: her bust.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Still, it had its problems. The resolutions of the last episode feel a little shaky, and the apparent implication that spoiler[Shoko and Hiro get back together] doesn't feel right at all to me.

Yeah, this was the one thing that I had a bit of an issue with, too; the ending is a bit too neat and seemed a little abrupt. (I had intended to mention that as the one writing flaw, but just forgot.) Still, this is more of a case of it not being up to the standard of the rest of the show than it being poorly-handled or too open-ended, so I can overlook that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Inphy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

It's kind of sad that "there's only a few spelling and grammer mistakes" is something to be happy about. Oh, Sentai...I think I'm glad they gave up the ADV name rather than let it sink to this. Still, I'm happy they decided to license an odd ball like this one.

"Let it sink to this"...? :<??
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
cool may pick it up when released.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Inphy wrote:

The spelling and grammer mistakes? That reviews of some of their releases say pop up once an episode? Professionals should turn in better work than that.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
I too really enjoyed this one back when it aired. I'm glad I get a chance to pick it up.

It's interesting that Theron mentions melodrama... the source manga was much darker, and I'm sure some would think over the top. The male leads especially came off much worse, one being involved in spoiler[incest] and the other spoiler[sexually assaulting Karada]. Quite a different beast than the anime.

You don't mind telling me which volume in the manga this occurs in do you?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Inphy wrote:

The spelling and grammer mistakes? That reviews of some of their releases say pop up once an episode? Professionals should turn in better work than that.

Unfortunately, it's fairly common in anime releases. I've noticed typos and grammar mistakes in the subtitles from just about everyone, including Geneon, Funimation, CPM, even Nozomi from time to time. (Not to mention typos and misspellings on packaging.) These companies have very small staffs, and Sentai in particular has been turning out a considerable amount of releases. Small mistakes will happen.

They're nothing jarring, and unless you are a real stickler for exact and perfect grammar, you're not going to notice them.

The only Sentai releases that have been truly subpar in terms of subs, have been Clannad and Glass Mask. GM was primarily due to the fact that it used the CR subs and should have been proofed better before release.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Chapters 10 & 11.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Chapters 10 & 11.
Are you sure? Because I'm just looking through some scantlations of Asatte No Houkou and have yet to find a scene with spoiler[ sexual assult]
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
Sounds promising. Another good sign for me is that doing a search on Hobby Search turned nothing. In other words, they didn't make boobie mouse pads for it.

It's unusual quality anime. Surprised

lol, it just means the show was
a) predated the boobie mousepad trend
b) too obscure for people to care afterwards.

I guess we've already have had 5 people in this thread who has saw it when it was being freshly fansubbed so I will try not to break that illusion by saying that I did. but:

1. This series peaked at episode 8 for me. After that it was kind of a mess trying to tie up everything without going down the manga route. I guess in that sense the anime series did a good enough job at the end.
2. I think the manga route would be more entertaining. Trainwrecks, not unlike moe, sells.
3. I might, however, be one of the 5 people who fistpumped when ADVsectionwhatever announced this a few months ago.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Are you sure? Because I'm just looking through some scantlations of Asatte No Houkou and have yet to find a scene with spoiler[ sexual assult]

Did you not see the implications of the scene with Karada and her friend leaning against the tree at the festival? I can't look right now but from what I recall check spoiler[the hand positions, her obvious shock, then in the next scene she's washing her hands while looking shell-shocked]. It also explains completely what happens in the next chapter or 2. I didn't bother checking later chapters than that so I don't remember if it's ever referred to more directly, but I do know that some other readers thought the same thing when they read that.
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
This is a quite special series and the review has done well to illustrate that.
Hiro's hair was a sticking point with me early on, leading me to assume that it may have been based off a H-game as it is popular to have "no eyes" on the protagonist designs to encourage the player to put themselves in their place.

Reading the comments, I'm sad to hear the sub quality has not improved with errors still present. It is a shame as I believe that if a dub is not present more energy should be spent on improving the subs before release. It is great to see it has gotten a release though, more of the anime-viewing audience need to have this type of quality titles available to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3