• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical DoReMi to Re-Air on The CW4Kids on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3g4t0ky0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

m3g4t0ky0 wrote:
Now if only they'd re-run Tokyo Mew Mew. Razz

Pretty sure they lost the license to that.

Now that I think about it, that's a possibility. I haven't kept up on the downturn of 4Kids lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

I don't understand this at all! What did we (not just the fans but all viewers) do to deserve this? I thought that license expired. Toei pulled the One Piece license, but not this one? Furthermore, I understand 4Kids had Pretty Cure at one point, but that license either lapsed or was revoked with no production (thankfully).

This is the worst. I had thought that Toei had pulled ALL of 4Kids' licenses. I was hoping Toei could give us Oja Majo Doremi (in which "Doremi" is the name os a single character: and the main character at that!) themselves, just like they (Toei) did with the aforementioned Pretty Cure.

Did 4Kids find some kind of "loophole" in the contract, or was the license still with them, (4Kids) all this time?
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

I don't understand this at all! What did we (not just the fans but all viewers) do to deserve this? I thought that license expired. Toei pulled the One Piece license, but not this one? Furthermore, I understand 4Kids had Pretty Cure at one point, but that license either lapsed or was revoked with no production (thankfully).

This is the worst. I had thought that Toei had pulled ALL of 4Kids' licenses. I was hoping Toei could give us Oja Majo Doremi (in which "Doremi" is the name os a single character: and the main character at that!) themselves, just like they (Toei) did with the aforementioned Pretty Cure.

Did 4Kids find some kind of "loophole" in the contract, or was the license still with them, (4Kids) all this time?

Maybe they had it for a long time or renewed it for other episodes that never were on TV but are on online? I have no idea...New to this whole thing but yea I do wonder, what happened to Pretty Cure? It's in english but not by 4Kids.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

Yes, it was still with them, they've been streaming the whole series online for the past 3 years or so. Toei and 4Kids seem to still have a decent relationship, after all, they just licensed Tai Chi Chasers, a Toei property.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked Doremi so much I watched 4kids' version after finishing the fansub.

It wasn't that bad. They only edited it to death a few times (including that one episode that they just didn't adapt), and I thought the English version of the singing witch was actually better since they gave her lyrics instead of just having her vocalize.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
CW4Kids seems dedicated to having the 7am-8am hour focus on female viewers. For the last 30+ weeks 2 episodes of Winx Club aired during that hour, which all leads up to the AUG 14th premeire of Season 4 for Winx Club. Not sure what 4Kids plans after this or if we could get a re-airing of Tokyo Mew Mew.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd hoped it had reverted to Toei by now so there was a chance of seeing Funimation pull a One Piece-style licence rescue.

Name one magical girl anime that isn't Sailor Moon that was successful in North America. Yeah I can't name one either. FUNimation wouldn't pick up a failed show in a part of the market that never was really succcesful.

Cardcaptor Sakura was successful, and I'd imagine Lyrical Nanoha did alright, though it's aimed at an older audience.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
If properly marketed it would work. 4 kids fails at that. Doremi is one o0f the best magical girl shows that was created. It is sad that peole will be subjected to the bad dub version. If it would be half decent we wouldn't have a problem.

I fell in love with it in sharp season when it was just starting to air.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="m3g4t0ky0"][quote="Primus"]
[quote="m3g4t0ky0"]Now if only they'd re-run Tokyo Mew Mew. Razz [/quote]

Pretty sure they lost the license to that.[/quote]

Now that I think about it, that's a possibility. I haven't kept up on the downturn of 4Kids lately.[/quote]

I e-mailed them about 3 years ago and they said that they lost the rights, so there's nothing they can do about it. So it wasn't really a matter of poor ratings. They just lost the rights.
Here's a screencap of the e-mail I recieved: http://i7.tinypic.com/6uqrazk.jpg
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
What? Now I did try to watch this a bit when my niece was around. Y'know these stations need to get their act together. Either they want to show the stuff or they don't. Because to be honest I really don't think they give a sh*t about airing stuff anymore. Especially localized anime. And some kids aren't all that interested. They don't put it on at time when they might be willing to watch. And when the ratings drop they want to ax it quicker.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, as they say at Disney, what's old is new again for every new generation. Laughing

TheHTRO wrote:

Toei cannot just "pull" a contract out of anything, unless the other party has violated said contract. Otherwise, Toei would be the one in violation and the only thing they would pull is a lawsuit out their ass. So yeah, 4Kids always had the rights, and no loophole (in which case, it'd be Toei filing the lawsuit to challenge said loophole). You can't just go around breaking contracts just because you don't like the other party.

Chrno2 wrote:
And some kids aren't all that interested. They don't put it on at time when they might be willing to watch.

Kids aren't as obsessed with TV shows as they used to. You'd think that's a good thing, but they have other distractions to obsess over now. Laughing
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd hoped it had reverted to Toei by now so there was a chance of seeing Funimation pull a One Piece-style licence rescue.

Name one magical girl anime that isn't Sailor Moon that was successful in North America. Yeah I can't name one either. FUNimation wouldn't pick up a failed show in a part of the market that never was really succcesful.

Cardcaptor Sakura was successful, and I'd imagine Lyrical Nanoha did alright, though it's aimed at an older audience.

CCS successful? Maybe mildly, but not Sailor Moon level success. Cardcaptors was handled poorly, as has most of the few magical girl series brought over post Sailor Moon. Although to Cardcaptors defense, it was KidsWB that ruined it by only airing half the episodes and editing it to hell to aim towards boys despite the fact it was clearly a series for girls. Nonaha never had a tv airing so that already counts it out for being all that successful, maybe it had okay dvd sales I dunno.

The thing of it is, is that Sailor Moon's success wasn't a fluke like everyone (i.e. dubbing companies) seems to think. Say what you want about Dic's dub, but they knew what they were doing. They aimed it towards little girls and they made sure to bring merchandise over so that they could even further hook their audience with all the toys. Tell me how many magical girl shows had as much merchandise brought over? Not to mention Sailor Moon had an awesome tv slot, it would air right after elementary kids got out of school thus ensuring the majority of their target audience would see it. A magical girl show airing at 7AM wouldn't stand a chance against all that. Too bad Japan pulled ADV's dub of mermaid melody because it seemed as though ADV was going balls to the wall to get Sailor Moon success with it, but it never came to be.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

The thing of it is, is that Sailor Moon's success wasn't a fluke like everyone (i.e. dubbing companies) seems to think. Say what you want about Dic's dub, but they knew what they were doing. They aimed it towards little girls and they made sure to bring merchandise over so that they could even further hook their audience with all the toys. Tell me how many magical girl shows had as much merchandise brought over? Not to mention Sailor Moon had an awesome tv slot, it would air right after elementary kids got out of school thus ensuring the majority of their target audience would see it. A magical girl show airing at 7AM wouldn't stand a chance against all that.

Sailor Moon was syndicated (a system now dead at network TV), so it was up to the local affiliates to pick it up and when to show it. At my then local FOX station, it was broadcasted at 5am as the very first show of the day (the station closes broadcast 2am-5am).

Sailor Moon partly succeeded because it was the first one of the shoujo anime to be on wide N. American TV (it was bigger in Canada - recall the Canadian Barenaked Ladies song), and the timing when anime was the next shiny new thing coming up in America (and oh, and it has those "boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing" of course Laughing ).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
And some kids aren't all that interested. They don't put it on at time when they might be willing to watch.

Kids aren't as obsessed with TV shows as they used to. You'd think that's a good thing, but they have other distractions to obsess over now. Laughing

Yeah, it's true. Not that I'm knocking it as I believe kids shouldn't spend too much time in front of the TV. Buy again at the same time because they have other distractions it makes it harder to try and introduce new shows that could be marketable. Or might introduce generations to something new. I just made that point about them not being interested because I feel that it's the case. Which will often kill a project before it gets started. Also it seems that many of the shows who's targeted audience are boys is more marketable. Look at Yugioh and some of the other crap. Although Yugioh is far from crap. Girl shows aren't. Sailor Moon might have been the last good thing for awhile. But all the new stuff has been killed despite what ratings it might have gotten. But shows like 'The Winx Club' managed to survive and had marketing value. It's just a shame that many of the magical girls shows just aren't getting their due.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Nope, DoRemI is an adorable show. 4kids version is SHIT though. God, how much longer until 4Kids is put out of OUR misery? Then maybe someone else can do justice to the shows they butchered.

I completely agree with you. Though I don't like the fact people will lose their jobs, for the all the butchering and over editing, 4kids truly does need to close down.

Not only did they ruin One Piece, but they have ruined practically every show they licensed. In fact, most the shows were ruined so badly, the show isn't even watchable anymore, with all the constant and pointless edits.

Honestly, 4kids needs to close so maybe other companies can rescue these over edited, ruined beyond belief as well as butchered as well. Funimation saved One Piece, despite the fact 4kids ruined that series so much, it was nearly ruined beyond repair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4