• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kekkaishi Premieres on U.S.'s Adult Swim Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This may or may not fail. I wish it was at an earlier time slot. I understand that AS doesn't care about kids watching (to them, it's probably just some extra viewers), but a show like this is aimed at a younger crowd. Not only is there a chance that adults will be hitting the sack by 12:30 AM, but a lot of kids won't be up watching TV. It's fine if AS doesn't want to depend on youngsters for viewing, but in this case it seems important to give kids an option. Put it early enough and they'll watch it before heading to bed.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
So does any one know the voice cast yet?

The trailer that has been showing on AS sounded like Vic and Laura Bailey are voicing the main characters.

The only reason and I mean only reason I am giving this show a chance is because I heard Vic's voice acting. I really like Vic work in Big Windup, so I'll give this series a try.

I don't think Vic was in Big Windup!. We're talking about Vic Mignogna, correct?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
This may or may not fail. I wish it was at an earlier time slot. I understand that AS doesn't care about kids watching (to them, it's probably just some extra viewers), but a show like this is aimed at a younger crowd. Not only is there a chance that adults will be hitting the sack by 12:30 AM, but a lot of kids won't be up watching TV. It's fine if AS doesn't want to depend on youngsters for viewing, but in this case it seems important to give kids an option. Put it early enough and they'll watch it before heading to bed.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

The trailer that has been showing on AS sounded like Vic and Laura Bailey are voicing the main characters.

The only reason and I mean only reason I am giving this show a chance is because I heard Vic's voice acting. I really like Vic work in Big Windup, so I'll give this series a try.

I don't think Vic was in Big Windup!. We're talking about Vic Mignogna, correct?

My mistake, I was multitasking when I wrote that and made a mistake. There is a reason I don't multitask often and that is because I occasionally make mistakes.

Greg Ayres is who I was thinking about though. And your right, Vic (to my knowledge) wasn't involved in Big Windup. Don't quote me on that since I've only seen four episodes thus far.
ki_881

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

My mistake, I was multitasking when I wrote that and made a mistake. There is a reason I don't multitask often and that is because I occasionally make mistakes.

Greg Ayres is who I was thinking about though. And your right, Vic (to my knowledge) wasn't involved in Big Windup. Don't quote me on that since I've only seen four episodes thus far.

Vic is also in the other popular series which airs before Kekkashi, which is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. He voices Ed just like the older series. Laura Bailey also voices someone, I forget though.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Eeh, hot, fresh, free anime on Adult Swim. You know what they say, Beggars can't be choosers...My friend watched it on Hulu and went crazy over it...and he's pretty picky...

But I really wanna see which English VA's are in it above all else...
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, not a bad start. I think it can only get better.

I'm going to stick with it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
A more generic anime I cannot remember.

And since when is AS the Vic Mignogna Power Hour? It's bad enough he's Edward Elric. Well, it used to be the Johnny Yong Bosch Power Hour. And before that the Steven Blum Power Hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hyperone

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
In all honesty, I was unimpressed. It definitely hit like a show laser targeted at the age group directly under my own (Age: 21).

However, I was stunned when I heard Edward Elric (I did not watch any trailers). That alone is enough for me to grant it some leeway.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sadly it does take about 10 eps to go from generic to genuinely interesting. Once Yoshimori's older brother gets introduced, thats when the real plot starts.

Puts it ahead of Soul Eater at least! That took far more than 10 eps to stop the ****y slapstick from ruining all the potentially good moments and gain actual momentum. Granted, that had style and animation going for it. Kekkaishi at least has the latter at times.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Was it just me or was anyone else not a fan of Laura Bailey and Vic Mignogna's performances as Tokine and Yoshimora respectively? I mean Laura's performance was okay I guess, but I guess I just always imagined Tokine had a bit more of a mature voice (which I know Laura is capable of going deeper), so we'll see. Vic on the other hand I thought was a complete miscast. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I love him in other roles like Edward in FMA and Tamaki in Ouran, but he just doesn't work as Yoshi. Unfortunately Vic's voice isn't very dynamic so more times than not he'll sound like a variation of his Edward Elric voice. Now every time I watch it I won't be able to take his character seriously Confused Oh well.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Was it just me or was anyone else not a fan of Laura Bailey and Vic Mignogna's performances as Tokine and Yoshimora respectively? I mean Laura's performance was okay I guess, but I guess I just always imagined Tokine had a bit more of a mature voice (which I know Laura is capable of going deeper), so we'll see. Vic on the other hand I thought was a complete miscast. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I love him in other roles like Edward in FMA and Tamaki in Ouran, but he just doesn't work as Yoshi. Unfortunately Vic's voice isn't very dynamic so more times than not he'll sound like a variation of his Edward Elric voice. Now every time I watch it I won't be able to take his character seriously :? Oh well.

I actually agree with this. Their performances were good, but clash pretty badly with what I actually thought the characters would sound like. Both of their voices sounded much deeper in my head. Probably at least an octave lower.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not really interested in Kekkaishi, but it's on between FMA Brotherhood and Bleach reruns, so I'll probably just leave it on.

Also agree with the above posters that Vic sounds like a total miscast.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

I just watched ep 1 and it definately sounded like them. An interesting paring that Viz did. Over all it's an interesting series and those old pruns are a laugh at times. and despite what people think. I like the idea of those who as the leas roles.

Heck JYB recieved the same treatment for his role as Renton , but eventually people got custom to his role later in the series, so I'm preety sure it's gona be the same for Vic's main role for this one.

though it might get eclipised over the new FMA series. and though I like it , I still would have prefered AS gotten Gintama before Sentai gave it the sub only treatment or AS definately could have gotten Soul Eater over this. & there's the chance AS viewers might give this the cold treatment like what they did to Moribito.

Hopefully when all of the new seasons go through , bleach mght return to AS (new eps anyways).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kippy666

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Awwww. I don't live in the US so I can't watch it but I would have loved to see the dub for the lolz!

Love Kekkaishi its an awesome show! Too bad it takes time before it becomes good.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
....and I thought Syfy was baked when they decided to air something like Rave Master...

(Well, at least that white dog with the Rinnegan was pretty cool... Wink )
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Typical shonen show, but I like it, and what's wrong with Vic? I like him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4