• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Fist of the North Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Just to bring a little balance to this thread, I would like to point out that both sides are right. FotNS is utterly stupid, AND super cool. I don't see a problem here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
moviesarefun wrote:
Please email me at [email protected]

You're on this forum, there's no point in mailing you Wink

Quote:
The second movie, Hokuto no Ken - Urea Densetsu.

Seems like they had a piss-poor time romanizing 'Yuria' / 'Julia' or whichever spelling you prefer.

'Gaiden' = story, 'Densetsu' = legend... not too hard to figure out.
moviesarefun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
so i have absolutely no knowledge of the language how about the other titles and how do they do together, would it be asking to much to write them out??

much thanks!!!
redline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Anime News Service and corrections. I just can´t find the line on the official jp article that says that Hojo Tsukasa would do the character designs for the OVA/movies...
it says that he´s in charge of doing character design for the new character Reina rather than the designs for the whole OVA/movie.

If you can find the line in the ANS writeup that mentions he is designing all the characters for the OAV's / Movies please post it up. The one I'm reading just mentions that Tsukasa will will be a character designer on the project, which as far as I can tell he is, didn't taken it farther than that. So your observation is flawed.

Quote:

I know minnor nitpick, but that´s the same with North Star Pictures VS. North Stars Pictures (the one is nitpicking about a missing letter, the one on translation quality) Wink

North Stars Pictures is the correct title of the company. It's in English several times on the Japanese site too so I'm assuming there are some quality issues with translating your native language?? From what I can tell ANS doesn't have any translation quality issues, they are pretty much dominating the English language web with Japanese news content daily. So if there is a jealous factor I think I could understand...... Very Happy

Last edited by redline on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Just to bring a little balance to this thread, I would like to point out that both sides are right. FotNS is utterly stupid, AND super cool. I don't see a problem here.

Love it or hate it, one has to respect the place FotNS has in anime history. Lots of the current generation of anime makers(staff/cast) as well as fans grew up on it & it holds a special place in their hearts.

Yeah, my daughter loves it because we yell things at it(we've decided Ken's eyebrows are actually parasitic alien life forms. Notice bad guys have thin eyebrows in this title? And Ken found a red shirt factory-the trunk of the car is actually filled ot the brim with red shirts), but I respect the rights of others to love this title to death. We all have to have our guilty pleasures. Hey, I'm the first to defend DB/Z & Vegeta. And Saint Seiya. And I may be a middle-aged chick, but I have way too much female fan service in my collection(Amazing Nurse Nanako, Satoru Akahori, etc) because it's often very funny. And I have nowhere near enough male fan service.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
An interesting fact is that Kenshiro usually doesn't wear that red shirt.

In the anime he has it on ALL the time. But the manga is much different. He is actually shirtless most of the time.
jaguar_cult

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Whether we love it or hate it, I loved it, Fists is an iconic series that has earned its place in anime history.

Unfortunatley, the series deserves some re-vamping, but the latest series attempt was a piece of caca, I hope these new one's kick butt.

Man, I love those fight scenes when Ken's fist's are flying so fast you can't see them, heads exploding, limbs sliced off, the Road Warrior-esque stylization.

95% of the current anime titles totally suck; I am so over cheesy love stories, angels, wierdos, momma boys.

I agree that people on this board can be immature condescending little jerks, the only reason I am posting is because this is regarding Fist of the North Star.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
As my friend J'mel might say, FotNS is awful. Awful good! It's stupid. Stupid Fresh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES! I love it! new Fist of the North Star!

Any idea who's going to direct these movies? how good would it be if Yoshiaki Kawajirii was gonna do them? he's probably already busy with Ninja Scroll 2 or whatever, but i'd love it if he did a remake.

I agree with the majority of this, Fist of the North Star was really stupid shallw and badly animated but so unutterably goddamn cool you didn't care. When your drunk on a Friday night its the best kind of entertainment :P

never seen the entire series, just the released TV episodes, are they gonna release the original ones on DVD? heard theres hundreds of them
littleharlock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
North Stars Pictures is the correct title of the company. It's in English several times on the Japanese site too so I'm assuming there are some quality issues with translating your native language?? From what I can tell ANS doesn't have any translation quality issues, they are pretty much dominating the English language web with Japanese news content daily. So if there is a jealous factor I think I could understand...... Very Happy

No jealousy, that´s not my point. I make mistakes (like this typo) everyone makes mistakes, since we´re all human beings after all, BUT I don´t see a reason to hold myself back, when someone who´s connected to ANS, which already made a lot of mistakes with their news in past nitpicks on a missing letter.

Good translation? Well, let´s use the most recent example, which ironically enough is connected with Hokuto no Ken (to stay on the main topic). They wrote today:

"Even as North Stars Pictures prepares the future direction of the Hokuto No Ken franchise, Toei Animation will release the original 1984 TV series in DVD BOX on March 30th. Retailing at 3,990 Yen the set collects the series as it was broadcast on Fuji Television where it achieved an average audience rating of 16.1% and a high of 23.4%. "

Sorry, but that´s so not true it hurts. The site they are reffering to, states (and you even don´t need to be very good in Japanese to read that) that these discs (3 in total) contain the so-called Hokuto no Ken Best Selection. And since you´re so good at spotting mistakes all it takes to guess that these boxes won´t contain the whole TV series is to take a look at the content list for the first disc (i.e. episode 17, 22, 32, etc.). With some logical thinking you will come to the conclusion that this probably won´t contain the whole TV series and looking at the price makes this even more clear.
So much for translation quality and mistakes (and of course I could continue with their rather major translation misinterprations concerning news for Murdok Scramble, Saikano, Trinity Blood, etc.) but I don´t want to start a fight.
Really, as said initially, I don´t want to say a site is bad, nor do feel jealous about this particular site. However I do take it personally and consider it a lame joke when someone who´s connected (or a member) of the particular site attacks other sites (in this case mine and Anime News Network) calling the news we typed up to be untrue just because a typo (one missing letter). I don´t want to take this further (though there´d be a lot more to say about certain news back in 2004 that looked extremely "cut&paste" from my and other sites) but I just don´t see a reason why I shouldn´t be allowed to defend myself when my site gets attacked that way.

so far
yours
littleharlock
Lone Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
gotta have more FOTNS its all great
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I love how people complain how poorly a series was animated.

Especially when it was done in the 80's.

Here's a good piece of information. Though most may consider this just my opinion.

Most anime before 1995 WERE poorly animated.

Still, thanks for looking for ANY reason to complain, it really shows how intellectual you are.
s_j

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I can just picture it in my mind...20 years from now, the kids on this board will be old fogies like us, getting excited over the new Full Metal Alchemist box set re-release, and all their kids would be like "the animation in Alchemist is teh suxx0rs!"

You sacrilegious bastards. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2