• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Stream 1,000+ Anime Episodes Throughout Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff! Nothing jumped out at me but if it's there, bring on the old school summer! And a big thank you to everyone who worked on these, y'all are awesome.

OLady wrote:
I have long been aware that my logical thought processes are very different from everyone else's. So it is with great humility and not a little embarrassment that I ask "Where do I download the player?"

You don't download it, just go to the video tab at the top of the page (next to the forum one) and just select a video from the list, it's like youtube.
se7en-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
st_owly wrote:
First question: Will things be region locked?

Sadly, most of them will be. We're usually only given North American rights (and in the case of Remi, only US rights). Often times our rights come from North American companies like Funimation, so they don't even have International rights to give us.

We always try to get rights for as many markets as possible, but it's hard.

The economy of the Internet is such that, with a few exceptions, regular global streaming is still several years off.

-t

that is just. sad.. for international viewers like us that is...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
This all sounds very very... expensive. You guys gonna be okay not using some form of subscription for certain series or non-ad membership offers? Great news and freaking awesome that it'll be free! But having ANN killed off by excessive leeching or bandwidth drainage is the kind of news I don't want to be reading in the future. Granted I'm sure the majority are from existing streams from CR, Youtube, Funi etc, but makes me worry.

Now if you'll excuse me. I think I'm gonna go watch all of Blassreiter in one go. Good bye sleep.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I tells ya, it's never been a better time to be an anime addict.

That is, if you live in America.

An increasing amount of crunchy's streams are North and South America and the Caribbean, Australia and NZ, UK, Ireland and the Nordic countries. But for someone living in Southern, Central or Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, or indeed anywhere in mainland Asia or Africa except South Africa, the pickings are slim indeed ... sometimes Naruto, Time of Eve, and a handful of golden oldies.

Until streaming outside of R1 generates enough revenues to make it worthwhile for international license holders to automatically try to acquire worldwide digital distribution, it'll keep being a series by series fight.

And often the fight is against broadcast rights holders who see streaming as competition and do not get that refusing legit streaming rights just means that the streaming will take place out in the bootleg space where they have no opportunity to market to a potential audience.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Finally I can watch Remi anime, I never did get a chance to snag the dvd Crying or Very sad

*What I'd also like if ANN could air Cyborg 009, it never did finish airing on CN*
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have the first disk to Nobody's Boy - Remi but was never able to pick up the rest. Now I can finish watching it.

Any chance with the other ImaginAsian titles like Cats Eye, and The Super Dimension Century Orguss?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
OLady wrote:
I have long been aware that my logical thought processes are very different from everyone else's. So it is with great humility and not a little embarrassment that I ask "Where do I download the player?"

Its an online player. If you have a browser supporting Flash video streaming (including almost all PC browsers and also the newest Android phones with Android 2.2 that support Flash 10.1), the player should be there when you click on the video page.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
$5 says Justin's shitting himself in glee. xD.

Anyway, this is pretty sweet. I think I'll check out Blassreiter right now, actually.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
This all sounds very very... expensive. You guys gonna be okay not using some form of subscription for certain series or non-ad membership offers?

Anime News Network has a subscription for people who want to turn off the ads.

These seem to be mostly series that have already been localized, so if they have licenses focused on royalties per view, they should be fine.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
There's always a chance we can get just about anything, provided the parties are willing (TMS is quite good people to work with), but since Remi was produced without a committee, it was the easiest title for them to try out. Which was fine by me, since it's one of my all-time favorite shows!

We're not trying to compete with Crunchyroll or anyone else for licenses. We certainly love new stuff, but we just don't have the manpower to do subtitle and simulcast 20 shows a season. Instead, our overall direction will be finding the great shows that have slipped through the cracks, in the hopes they get discovered again. Lord knows there are enough of them. (This isn't to say we'd turn down something new and awesome though...)

Internet video is still new, and everyone still has a lot of experimenting and learning to do. Hopefully we can find a niche that works. (And don't worry about the costs -- that's why we have ads. The goal here is to MAKE money! Smile
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

We're not trying to compete with Crunchyroll or anyone else for licenses. We certainly love new stuff, but we just don't have the manpower to do subtitle and simulcast 20 shows a season. Instead, our overall direction will be finding the great shows that have slipped through the cracks, in the hopes they get discovered again. Lord knows there are enough of them. (This isn't to say we'd turn down something new and awesome though...)

Would you be willing to be the host for a simulcast if a Japanese company did the localization themselves?
Or is it still too much of an issue to launch the episodes on a weekly basis?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
This sounds great. I may have to check this out. Is there a list available of the 1000 shows that will be streamed?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Would you be willing to be the host for a simulcast if a Japanese company did the localization themselves?
Or is it still too much of an issue to launch the episodes on a weekly basis?

It depends on the show. I'd certainly entertain doing one or two to start, especially if the Japanese took care of the localization.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
We're not trying to compete with Crunchyroll or anyone else for licenses. We certainly love new stuff, but we just don't have the manpower to do subtitle and simulcast 20 shows a season. ...

Of course, CR doesn't either - or at least, during the endless "CR is going to ruin the Bleach subtitling", they kept saying that its the right holder that selects the subtitler.

But it would be great if Funimation would allow their simulcasts to go up on ANN in addition to UTube and Hulu ... I'd consider an ANN subscription to get the noitaminA block w/out ads.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
AGH one of the few times I'm cursing myself for living in Canada! I've gotta move to the states for the summer! I've been dying to see Nobody's Boy Remi.... I guess that means I gotta learn French and watch it with the French dub.
But still, everyone who can needs to see Remi! A depressing show about a boy who fails all the time because of his circumstances is the best premise for a show EVAR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7