• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos Light Novels Get TV Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Insta-ignore, Razz

Seriously why even watch this with a main premise of "...with only girls except 1 boy." It has been done so many times already, with so many slight variations, and so little story. That a person can simply rewatch all the previous shows and miss out on nothing, instead of looking forward to this.

If variety is needed simply randomly splice episodes from multiple shows together yourself - I am sure little would be lost in coherence.

[Insert industry here] is obviously bankrupt of ideas! Laughing
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Yay, I'm glad to see that mecha musume shows are becoming more popular. Even if it doesn't have lots of action and is primarily school comedy/romance, that is some sweet mechanical design. It's too bad that, like Sky Girls, it probably won't be available in North America anytime soon.

vashfanatic wrote:

(Here's an awesome idea: have equal numbers of each gender! It allows for numerous love triangles, comedic and dramatic situations, before final hook-ups that leave everyone happy!)

Yuri fixes this just as fine, and you get to keep an all girl, all moe cast.
Zipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

What about Gundam Unicorn, Gothicmade, Kihei Senki Legacies and Star Driver? All of them (except Unicorn) upcoming anime-original mecha anime.

(Why am I all up in this thread? Rolling Eyes)

I said "for the most part." There used to be much more back in the day. Only recently, to me, it seems like they're dying out, and the more popular mecha shows (outside of Gundam which lives on because of its name), are shows like this.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Just by the title I thought the anime was somehow linked to Infinite Ryvius. But it's clearly not.
The design seems good (excellent actually), and just a weak cast description wouldn't throw me off. Have seen plenty of constructive cast descriptions before, though not even the majority of it turned out exactly as expected.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Just by the title I thought the anime was somehow linked to Infinite Ryvius. But it's clearly not.

Hehe, that's kinda funny, cause the first thing I thought of was a new entry in the Stratos 4 series. Which is pretty much this, with standard military equipment, and no token male in the flight crew. Anywho, the designs on that IS look really nice... too bad I don't really watch any new shows anymore. I don't have time to keep up with everything coming out in Japan, too busy with already running shows, and the ones I'm buying as they come out in the US.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
uicno wrote:
Check what sells: K-On,Ladies vs Buttles,Evangelion

Eh, Ladies vs. Butlers isn't exactly an impressive seller.
It's hitting around 4500 copies per volume (DVD+BD). That should put it solidly in the black, unlike a 500-copies-per-volume bomb like, say, Tayutama or Kurokami--but it's not really a noteworthy goal anyone would want to specifically emulate.

Just slapping T&A service scenes into a show won't really move all that many discs. You have to create characters the audience actually likes enough to care about seeing naked.

I'd suggest swapping Bakemonogatari into that list instead. Smile

Or Hetalia.
At 20k/volume, Hetalia's not as high as K-ON! (40k) or Bakemonogatari (70k), but it's still beating the vast majority of shows.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Yuri fixes this just as fine, and you get to keep an all girl, all moe cast.

Meh. I am a yuri fan, but obviously I'd rather have one with a creative cast rather than the Usual Suspects of a harem series minus a guy. I mean, I suppose this might surprise us all and have a very unique cast of girls. I seriously doubt it, but maybe?

Anyway, I also just don't want male characters getting the short end of the stick all the time. Vague personality-less males upon whom the viewer can project himself are just as unpleasant as vague personality-less females of the same kind (*cough*Twilight*cough*). I'd rather have a cast full of both genders whose personalities cover the whole gamut.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I just groaned involuntarily... and I like harems a lot. But even I get bored. It'd be nice if the person that writes various press releases [It's NOT an ANN person ASFAIK] would take into account that twists on anime tropes >> just anime tropes... tell us new things, make it fresher, or less stale.

Bah, now I sound like an old curmudgeon. Oh, wait...
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
(I think I'll see what studio is behind it before I write it off. At worst, the CM will show off what the show's got)

It's going to be animated by 8-Bit, made of up ex-Satelite members to animate the 2 Macross Frontier movies. Think Bones and Sunrise.

In other words this should look very good if given a decent budget.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
(I think I'll see what studio is behind it before I write it off. At worst, the CM will show off what the show's got)

It's going to be animated by 8-Bit, made of up ex-Satelite members to animate the 2 Macross Frontier movies. Think Bones and Sunrise.

In other words this should look very good if given a decent budget.
That's hot.

Well, at least it'll look pretty. Gonna need to see a CM before I write it off though.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It actually looks pretty damn good

http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/is/pv/pv02.html

Airing Winter 2011

http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/is/
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

(Here's an awesome idea: have equal numbers of each gender! It allows for numerous love triangles, comedic and dramatic situations, before final hook-ups that leave everyone happy!)

But if there were multiple male characters with (gasp) differing personalities how could I identify with them? I require a single bland, generic male lead without any particularly unique characteristics (other than the ability to be surrounded entirely by the opposite sex) to get in the way of my imagining myself to be him as the rest of the cast throws itself at him (me!). The drama will be provided by the otherwise entirely female cast fighting over awesome generic main character dude (me!). It's good to be him (me!).
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, as I feared. I hate when the girl:guy ration is reduced so low as to lots of them:1 guy.

But man....that does look pretty
Destiny Hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, do you know when the manga and the anime will be released to the US? I would really appreciate it if you could prvide me with some information, me and my friends have been searching for info. Please reply soon. Exclamation Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2