• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yotsuba&! GN 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'll preface this by saying that I haven't read Yotsuba&! Vol 8 yet, but I have volume's 1-7 (been collecting since the ADV Manga days...) and so I'd like to make a comment on Mr. Kimlinger's views.
I completely understand how he could be frustrated after 8 volumes, there doesn't really seem to be much happening in regards to the story and the relationships of the characters. Despite the defence that this is a slice-of-life series, even in slice of life shows the characters develop and things happen to them. But maybe I can defend the series in this way.
A lot of times you'll have really great comedy tv shows, that are really funny, but nothing's really happening to the characters in order to keep things funny and light. But, in order to keep people's attention, the writers feel they have to start integrating character drama into the story, in order to develop the characters and keep people interested in the story rather then the humour of the show. At this point, the shows lose their humourous edge and become more... dark.
This has not happened to Yotsuba&!. Mr. Azuma, at least in my point of view, has decided to (at least for now) disregard inserting more serious character drama into the story to keep the series light and humourous. This is something I very much appreciate. In my opinion, there are way too many series out there that start out as this great comedy, but then as they start to develop the character's, they end up making the series too dark and no longer as enjoyable is before. The reason I started to read Yotsuba&! is because of it's light nature and unnatural awesomeness at being funny. This far in I still find Azuma's humour to be amazing, and if it means there isn't going to be a deep story, that's fine with me. That's not why I started reading Yotsuba&!. I read it for the humour. Anyone looking for a deep character drama should not be reading this series.
So, in conclusion, the criticism Mr. Kimlinger made about the series remaining rather light on the character drama is entirely valid, but I think Azuma is doing this to keep the story light, and just about Yotsuba going on these adventures and being a kid, and in her case, it involves eating cake, shooting people in the face with water gun's and going to see the sheep. And that's just fine with me Very Happy
Lightindragon920

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba& does have a nice chapter a volume and a half later that might change his opinion about Yotsuba confronting her bad habit of lying.
yblees

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Carl's made a good point that I never considered before; the themes are limited to a childs POV. So Koiwai is pretty much "asexual" because 5 year olds don't think think their parents can have any romantic interests. They DO notice other peoples' romantic interests though (eg. Jumbo>Asagi).... fascinating.
And, a year in Yotsuba's life huh? That does sound about right.
They would be at the end of summer/beginning of autumn in vol 8.

I admit I love Yotsuba&! (but never liked Azumanga Dioh), and hope it will go on for several volumes more.
My six y.o. and 9 y.o are both mad about it too. One of the few manga around that is even BETTER reading if you're a parent!

EDIT: Hat & Stick jan-ken-pon back in one of the earlier volumes!! I offered to play that with my kids - they declined with extreme prejudice Laughing Laughing
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Volume 8 seemed to lack something. The last few volumes have kind of left me with the same feeling. This series was something special in the first few volumes, but I think now that it's settled in, it's kind of stepped back from being a potentially great series into a really good one.

So I guess in that sense, I'm a little disappointed in volume 8. I don't mind the pacing, I think it's still one of the biggest advantages it has, but it just hasn't felt like it's had the same impact the early volumes did.

It's still a very enjoyable read. I only hope the lull I feel it's in isn't something permanent. However, there are still enough positives to take from it in just about every aspect that it's extremely easy to overlook the more or less minor negatives in my opinion.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people are still pushing for an Anime Azuma has basically said there will never be an Anime adaptation of it. But overall as far as the series is going so far (im up to volume 4). It's pretty good the problem is if they injected a lot of heavy drama or character development that risks turning into Cerberus Syndrome.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
So if I enjoyed Azumanga Daioh would I like this?
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Hard to say... I never liked Azumanga, but I love this.
Do you like Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop, My Girl by Sahara Mizu, Chi's Sweet Home or Crayon Shinchan?
Yotsuba& is better. Wink
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Azumanga Daioh is one of my favorites (anime and manga), and I really like Yotsuba&!. Definitly give it a try if you like Azumanga.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
There's a good chance that if you liked Azumanga Daioh, you'll find something to like in Yotsuba. And then find new things to like about it.

But I have to agree that the "stars would have to align" in order for a good anime adaption to come out. You gotta have a director and VA cast that understand how the series will work and a writing and storyboarding team just as understaning. Really there would probably be alot of scenery shots with nothing going on with this anime.

Odds are if they ever plan for an anime version, it'll be when the manga is long done and they know what they can work with.
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Has its weak spots, but they quiver, pale and frightened, before the joie de vivre stamped on every other page.

Um, shouldn't that be "frighten?"
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Does there really have to be a plot? Does Calvin & Hobbes have a plot. Sure it be nice to have a little more back story, but it is not essential for what Yotsuba! does tell. I have read all eight volumes, and I am not the least bit tired of the series. So keep'em coming.

Side note - The U.S. Post Office is selling 1st class Calvin & Hobbes postage stamps, along with Garfield as part of their Sunday Comics celebration.
spoony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of the things that this review points out as negative would, if "corrected," take away from the childlike wonder and simplicity that Yotsuba& embodies. Yes, it moves slowly--as time seems to to a child. Yes, it has no plot--but it turns the little day-to-day moments of a kid's life into adventures. And no, it doesn't address adult issues--because the book is not about being an adult. Being adults ourselves, we tend to be impatient and want things to be addressed according to the way our adult minds process things. But you can't have both the childlike charm of Yotsuba& that this review praises and the more serious development it would like to see. There are plenty of series that address adult issues. The charm of this series is that it reminds us of the simple joys of being a kid, and for me, it does that so well that I don't need plot or backstory or anything serious or edgy to happen, and that's what makes it so awesome. I don't want Yotsuba& to change one bit.

I particularly don't understand the need for more sexuality in the series, especially concerning Yotsuba's dad. First of all, the reader takes the point of view of Yotsuba, so getting into that territory would be awkward. But the bigger question for me is, why is it necessary? Does Mr. Koiwai have to be interested in women for the story to satisfy us? Sometimes I think our culture is overly obsessed with romance. -_-'

Anyway, love the series; this is my go-to manga for when I'm in a bad mood and need something fun. It's also something that my eight-year-old sister and I can get excited about together!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
LemonCookies wrote:
Quote:
Has its weak spots, but they quiver, pale and frightened, before the joie de vivre stamped on every other page.

Um, shouldn't that be "frighten?"

No.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I love Yotsuba& just the way it is. As we grow older, and become jaded and cynical, we tend to forget how wonderous the world was to us as children, which is kind of sad. Yotsuba& is a reminder.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
spoony: That's pretty much what Carl said in the last paragraph... that the negatives are really boren more from the adult in us and that what we see in the world is what Yotsuba sees for the most part. There are hints of deeper things but to Yotsuba, to a child in general, those don't nesscarily come to her attention. Carl is just like a number of fans, who hope that Kiyohiko Azuma sprinkles in a little bit more development to this floating subplots in a more frequent manner if possible. Not that you won't enjoy what you read but people will still think about those things from time to time because the fact is; they are there. Carl is just acknowledging the possiblity that that may bother some people more then others. It doesn't make the series any less magical in how well it captures that childlike spirit the way it does and Carl makes a point of that as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3