• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fuji Producer: No 2nd Aoi Hana Season Due to DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I have this nagging feeling someone in the higher ups should make the Sono Hanabira series into a TV anime series since that fills that quota.

The did make an OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I also am a fan of the first season, but it is a shame it did not sell well, that might mean the license might be cheap, so maybe sentai films will scoop it up, I will buy it,
Or if Sentai/Section23 passes, Nozomi would do a good job with it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Awwww. Anime cry I loved that series and would have loved to have seen more since I don't believe the manga has been licensed here in the US. Although, I'd be thrilled if it got licensed here, it got taken off of CR a while back and it's pretty short to boot. Come oooonnnn Nozumi!

LeanGreen wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the author's other work Wandering Son get green-lit for an anime as well? I'm very surprised at that, now that I see that the adaptation of Aoi Hana didn't so very well. Confused

Yep, it'll be on the noitaminA channel this winter, I doubt it'll do any better but fingers crossed that it's good!
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series, and it's sad to hear it won't continue, but it did suffer from what a lot of people describe - slow pacing and a lack of spunk. Sasameki Koto was basically Aoi Hana only with a lot more cute energy interjected into it. SImply put, the series lacked moe, and this, it lacked sales.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sora N

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen Aoi Hana yet; however, it’s a shame that a second season will not be made. I am a huge yuri fangirl (for obvious reasons) and I really hope that Sentai ends up getting the license for Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto so that way I can watch them!
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
This was even on the table for a second series? That last episode wrapped things up as neatly and positively as an ongoing manga story could, so I figured there wasn't much chance for more from the start...

Too bad. A second season would have been nice.
Then again, I think one of the things going for Aoi Hana was that it had such a good, lean story (no fillers). The manga needs to play itself out a bit more before I think it would be even ready for a season 2 treatment.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I wasn't expecting another season, it isn't that much of a loss, but the lack of DVD sales is kinda sad. Aoi Hana had some really beautiful artwork, but the story really wasn't there, and there wasn't much value in rewatching the series (which might explain the lack of sales).

Also, look at the competition. Airing in the same season were two other yuri-tinged shows: Kanamemo (male-oriented ecchi yuri) and Canaan (action with yuri overtones). Plus there was also Spice and Wolf II, which would have stolen the serious anime crowd, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, aimed at the female demographic, as well as a little show called Bakemonogatari. Just looking at the summer 09 shows, I personally would have put Aoi Hana fifth or sixth on my priority list, and it looks like most of my Japanese counterparts had similar opinions. My sympathies to the fans of Aoi Hana, you were doomed by bad luck and market forces.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Sora N wrote:
I have not seen Aoi Hana yet; however, it’s a shame that a second season will not be made. I am a huge yuri fangirl (for obvious reasons) and I really hope that Sentai ends up getting the license for Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto so that way I can watch them!

Though Aoi Hana was mysteriously taken off Crunchyroll (maybe the same problem of not enough viewers?) you can still watch Sasameki Koto there. Since the chance of a license is slim I would watch it soon (incase it too vanishes).

I liked Sasameki more than Aoi Hana since it (oddly?) felt more realistic to me. (I enjoyed both though!)
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
but this is why japanese anime companies need to think more globally when working on anime, shows like this would have sold better, if they would just release it with subtitles. if I'm willing to buy sentai films stuff, which is only subtitled, then of course I would be all over the original R2, or better yet the blu-ray if it was ever released in japan with subtitles, then they would see just how popular a show can be to us worldwide fans,

Fuji Creative had simulcasted it on CR (with a large set of allowed countries too iirc). They know exactly how popular it is with outside audiences.
Sora N

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Sora N wrote:

Though Aoi Hana was mysteriously taken off Crunchyroll (maybe the same problem of not enough viewers?) you can still watch Sasameki Koto there. Since the chance of a license is slim I would watch it soon (incase it too vanishes).

I liked Sasameki more than Aoi Hana since it (oddly?) felt more realistic to me. (I enjoyed both though!)

I don’t watch anime online…including crunchroll. I am just hoping that an R1 company will someday license these two series on DVD/Blu-Ray. Wink
Gentry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've only just got into scissoring videos so it's a shame there won't be anymore as I've grown a taste for it. I always had trouble telling the difference between this and the other yuri series that out at the around the same time who also had a girl with long black hair and glasses... what was it's bloody name?

Stopped watching this series when it started on the "romeo and juliet" play story line with the girl who looked exactly like a boy, couldn't see the point in watching the show when you can't tell the couple are gay until they get their fannies out.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Noooooooooo!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
@Gentry:
*face palm*

Anyway, in the civilized sphere of anime viewership... honestly, I did like the first season, but that's because I like the manga, not because it blew my socks off. I wouldn't have bought the DVDs either. While it saddens me that more of this excellent series won't be brought to the screen, there's still the manga -- and I would like very much if someone would license it, please? Otherwise, I for one will be buying Wandering Son by the same author to show that there's an audience for this kind of work.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Also, look at the competition. Airing in the same season were two other yuri-tinged shows: Kanamemo (male-oriented ecchi yuri) and Canaan (action with yuri overtones). Plus there was also Spice and Wolf II, which would have stolen the serious anime crowd, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, aimed at the female demographic, as well as a little show called Bakemonogatari. Just looking at the summer 09 shows, I personally would have put Aoi Hana fifth or sixth on my priority list, and it looks like most of my Japanese counterparts had similar opinions. My sympathies to the fans of Aoi Hana, you were doomed by bad luck and market forces.

10 most popular that season was (Dengeki online) (excluding Haruhi S2, due to it being unexpected):
1. Bakemonogatari
2. Saki
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4. CANAAN
5. Umineko no Naku Koro ni
6. Valkyria Chronicles
7. GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
8. Dragonball Kai
9. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
10. Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

That's biased to otaku stuff obviously, but that's what sells disks.
Saki already had the "traditional" seinen yuri crowd hooked.

Aoi Hana didn't make the top 10 for shows people were anticipating before the season either.
Personaly dropped it due to feeling realy slow, and there was pleanty else that season that I enjoyed more.
May have survived if it was in noitaminA, but simply had no presence/hype by itself.
calimike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
what about breast, panty, butt, rip clothes and sexy show like high school of the dead, oriemo, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, To Aru Majutsu no Index II, Occult Academy, Motto To Love-Ru and Strike Witches?

Is yuri popular in America?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6