• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Feb/March 2011 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
John Casey wrote:
2-I'm seeing some standard definition shows get the Blu-Ray treatment... What's the point of bringing something like, say Yu Yu Hakusho to Blu-Ray? That show was never mastered for any widescreen treatment. They'd not only have to chop up the aspect, but upscale it to boot.
I have no idea how Yu Yu was originally mastered, but Funi doesn't crop their 4:3 aspect ratio releases. You can see for yourself here.

Then it gets zero benefit from Blu-Ray. None whatsoever. Now I'm seeing even less reason to bring it to Blu-Ray.
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Dear dog look at all of that!! I'm going broke in Feburary and March... So much stuff... so much stuff! Must get Rosario+Vampire, Chobits, FLCL, Sgt. Frog, etc.
silencer226

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Thank you, The King of Harts, for taking the time to post and link these upcoming releases.

Why Funimation? Why must you coincide these releases with the big games that are hitting the streets around the same time? These are all PlayStation 3 games I am planning to buy in Q1 2011: LittleBigPlanet 2, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

*facepalm*, totally forgot about those, I have already slapped $89 on LBP2 Collectors Edition...

Holidays are gonna bleed me dry...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
2-I'm seeing some standard definition shows get the Blu-Ray treatment... What's the point of bringing something like, say Yu Yu Hakusho to Blu-Ray? That show was never mastered for any widescreen treatment. They'd not only have to chop up the aspect, but upscale it to boot. Smells like a disaster.

Well I've heard the much, much more expensive JP releases of YYH were quite good. So if Funimation can replicate that release as closely as possible I don't see why it can't be superior to a dvd.

I'm looking at Summer Wars, FLCL BD, Eva 2.22, FMA pt 4, Gai Rei Zero LE BD, and a few others as well. F**k it's gonna be one expensive winter/spring. Anime hyper
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
@Sheleigha, @silencer226
I only mentioned Q1 2011. The rest of 2011 still looks ridiculous as they space out other big name games.

inFamous 2
Batman: Arkham City
BioShock Infinite
Portal 2
Mass Effect 2
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (TBD)
The Last Guardian (TBD, the latest game from Team Ico)

Every year, my anime, manga, and video game backlog keeps growing and growing.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Thank you, The King of Harts, for taking the time to post and link these upcoming releases.

No problem. I'm sure the burning sensation in my arm will calm down eventually. I'll be honest, I was trying to see if I could beat WTK on the AoD forums because I think we both noticed at the same time. And I think I did by 4 minutes Exclamation Nothing like winning a race when you're the only one racing.

Anyways, I think I'll put a temporary rain check on the FLCL BD until I know how good it is. I already have the R4 release by Madman and it works fine since VLC works around region coding, so I'll only double dip if it's sizable improvement. I'm also worried about how I've heard the Japanese release looks terrible and I want to see if they're making Funimation use theirs instead of letting them make their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Very glad to hear they're going right to the 2.22 release for Evangelion. March isn't bad either.

Summer Wars is also something I'll definitely see.

A little disappointed that there's no news about the Trigun movie. I would have though with them re-releasing the series it would get fast tracked.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

Every year, my anime, manga, and video game backlog keeps growing and growing.

It's so hard keeping up with all three collection, I COMPLETELY agree (fortunately for me and collecting old promo artbooks/soundtracks from games is JUST about at an end >_>)

Need... better... job... Sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Oh my goodness my right wrist is killing me. I think I'll just leave this stuff to braves and _NJ for now on.

I'm sure that's how braves felt too since he only put the February dates up at the FUNi boards before logging off. Laughing
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
So still no info on the Tenchi rescue???

So not much of interest for me....since I already have Chobits.

FLCL is still overated IMO, there is a much better IMO show that tells a similar "growing up" type plot from Gainax. That show is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

Even at less than MSRP, something with that many episodes should be less than $30, not $40.

Maybe some of this stuff could be interesting IF I knew what they were.

The only good thing is that maybe now Samurai Champloo will be less than $50 at the store.

Also is the Gunslinger Girl thing BOTH seasons AND OVA??? Cause if not then it won't be a COMPLETE series...

I did not realize that Shiguri sold enough to warrant a "classic" status.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
YES THANK GOD! I CAN CANCEL MY JAPANESE SOUL EATER BLU-RAY PREORDERS!!! I'm so [expletive] happy I don't have to spend that $600 on it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Also is the Gunslinger Girl thing BOTH seasons AND OVA??? Cause if not then it won't be a COMPLETE series...

The runtime is at 325 minutes (13 episodes) so it's the only the first season.

As for Linebarrels Of Iron (which i know you didn't ask but i'm letting others know), the runtime of that set is at 650 minutes (26 episodes) so the 2 OVA episodes should be included as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Really not understanding these classic line prices. Will be nice to own Excel Saga though.

Already own the official HK BluRay of Eva 2.22, but I'll probably get FUNimation's release as well. Other buys will be Ga Rei Zero and eventually Chobits.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
Unrelated, but related:

Apparently, MvC3's date has been leaked as February 5th. Bundling it with all this stuff, I really am I gonna go broke! Anime cry
braves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Then it gets zero benefit from Blu-Ray. None whatsoever. Now I'm seeing even less reason to bring it to Blu-Ray.
YuYu was animated on cel, so if they get the remastered editions from Japan, then we'll get a lot more detail. They did a proper 4:3 HD remaster over in Japan.

Before anybody says that a 90s TV anime isn't worth it in HD, the Atsushi Wakabayashi/Akiyuki Shinbo episodes of YYH would like to have a word with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6