• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Corpse Princess Part One DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well, this is one review that I really don't agree with. I really liked Corpse Princess and thought that it was one of the better series that I've seen in a while. It is by no means perfect, but it's quite good, and for the most part, I would have said that whatever flaws the series has are primarily in the second half of the series. Overall, I really liked this series.

And whatever flaws that it may have, they definitely managed to improve on the manga, from what I've been able to read of it. Ouri is a much more minor character in the manga, and yet he's still the main character in the long run... The manga is good, but the anime is a definite improvement.

I just wish that they'd release the manga here. As far as I can tell, you can't even get all that much of it scanlated at this point (though I'd much prefer to have a legitimate release regardless). About all that I've been able to find is the part that covers the first half of the anime, though from that much, it's fairly clear that the second half of the anime goes off on its own tangent on at least some level if not almost completely.

In any case, I was very glad to have picked up this series. It was well worth watching.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
I thought the review was fair. Although it is curious that all that unreserved praise for the dub over the sub is not reflected in the ratings.

I personally loved this show. I especially loved that it didn't do what the reviewer wanted. Namely focus on Keisei and Makina from the start. That would have gotten boring for me very quickly. I have seen that before, many times. I could name a dozen shows off the top of my head that have that kind of monster fighting partnership. Some of them do it better than Corpse Princess. I enjoyed the fact that they decided to tell the story from the point of view of an "ordinary character" who just happened to be at the right place all the time. I loved watching him try to make sense of all of this and the fact that it was connected to people that he knew and that his sense of justice, which is pretty standard shounen thinking, didn't work real well here. He made quite a few decisions that I found interesting and in some cases surprising. I loved the fact that the story was confident enough that it could take it's time revealing what was going on and why. I was more interested in Ouri's path to discovery than in Makina's blind vengeance and Keisei's sense of obligation and dedication. .... but that's just me.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
There's one glaring flaw in the review:

Hope Chapman wrote:
On the one hand, Makina is every bit the corpse-killing warrior princess her stern image projects, not just another pretty face with unnatural combat skills flashing her underwear in all her close-ups. (Okay, the underwear part is still true.)
Makina never flashes her underwear. She doesn't even wear underwear. How does someone remember her as frequently flashing something that doesn't exist?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2