• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Concept Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
Sweet art (of course bits of it were around before now). The finalized designs are nice, if rather disturbing in the sense that only Eva-01 ever opened its mouth during the regular series. Still, the weird bit is that Eva-01's pilot is missing from the lineup (my bet is on the artist having drawn a slightly older Daniel Radcliffe aka Harry Potter and the studio not wanting that seen).

The facilities have been revamped, which in some ways makes them more grandiose (and even more disconcerting when you think this sits underneath Tokyo-3). The open tank idea is similar to the anime, but much more visual and stunning. The weapon racks look badass (as they should), and the setting examples outside look beautiful.

And Peter Jackson ain' directing nuthin until he gets The Hobbit in the can! Ian McKellan isn't getting any younger. But please, please, PLEASE don't let Cameron near this. He couldn't direct dramatic scenes if his life depended on it!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
CrimsonPh33r wrote:
I bet they mess up Rei so bad. Make her into some slipery japanese school girl and put some really bad Shinji-Rei love story.
I will personnaly hunt them down if they do.
Anno was not much better IMO. They could do worst and make a Rei, Asuka, Shinji love triangle. They got to sell it to the masses remember. Wink
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I think the artwork looks so awesome. It looks like they are going to do the part where spoiler[one of the angels goes all psycho]. I'm just blown away by how much the concept art is right on target as far as adapting a whole series into a movie goes.

Last edited by Erufu on Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Dachande

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 am Reply with quote
There's actually an extra one that was released that isn't on that group. They did a concept of an Angel that look similar to Ramiel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
Dachande wrote:
There's actually an extra one that was released that isn't on that group. They did a concept of an Angel that look similar to Ramiel.

Do you mean released through something else? If you look, I think one of the images is numbered in the high hundreds, so there's alot we are not getting to see. Which is sad...
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
This is very old news and I would even go as far as to say that this is just hot air and the movie it self will never be made. So some big shot producer saw the Evangelion series.. ??? now he thinks he can make it his own by recreating the series as a "live action" movie, what a joke. The really sad/sorry part of all this is that some people that call them selfs Evangelion Fans think it's a good idea to have a live action version >_> those are the same tards that thought a Live Action Dragonball would be cool as well I guess. Rolling Eyes
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
If PJ ends up directing, my hopes for this film will skyrocket.
Dachande

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Dachande wrote:

Do you mean released through something else? If you look, I think one of the images is numbered in the high hundreds, so there's alot we are not getting to see. Which is sad...

There was some concept art I saw some time ago that had better ones than some of the ones in this gallery. Some included full body shots of Rei and Asuka. Although this gallery does have some concept art that the other didn't, like the weapon rack.

I wonder if the conept art in picutre 23 is supposed to be Bardiel since it does look alot like an Eva or maybe a concept of Adam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
Sakurazukamori wrote:
The mecha-design is good (eva, tokyo, nerv...) but the chara-design is awful : rei & asuka are too old and rei's hairs aren't blue, lol. Have they seen Eva ? Laughing

Uh, you do realize that those are just production sketches of the costumes? The actual parts will be played by actors, and the figures in the costumes are just place holders as there's obviously been no casting yet.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
This is very old news and I would even go as far as to say that this is just hot air and the movie it self will never be made.

I've seen two different sets of concept art for movies based on Moorcock's Elric series that were "totally going to get made, seriously" that of course never happened. So you may very well be right.

Just as well, really: there's this very specific sort of creepy and weary mood to Eva that I think would be missing from a live action movie, certainly one directed by James Cameron. Maybe if they gave it to the Brothers Quay?
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:16 am Reply with quote
So Help Them If this Movie Gets Produced, And They Screw it up, No one Short Of God will Save them From my Wrath.

But Seouriously I was opposed to This movei from the Beginning, Its anime Dont turn it into a holywood Peice of shit. If I were anno I would have Said no. Just my Opinion though!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
CrimsonPh33r wrote:

I bet they mess up Rei so bad. Make her into some slipery japanese school girl and put some really bad Shinji-Rei love story.
I will personnaly hunt them down if they do.

Assuming they ever scrape up the money to get it made, whatever makes you think they'd change the story like that? Greenfield is writing the script, and if he's hardcore enough to chase after an Eva movie, he's hardcore enough to not dick around with it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Rei's a brunette? i mean i guess it comes to be expected but still...

Jadress wrote:
Anyway, I kind of don't want this movie to happen in the first place, and it's not because I'm a Hollywood hating nay-sayer or anything like that, but a 2 hour movie will never be able to do justice/hold a candle to the developement of a great 24-ep TV series, and seeing as the property is a risky investment for a producer, there probably wouldn't be a trilogy or sequels planned out.

why not? all they have to do is flesh out the basics, and then base the rest on the "End Of Evangelion". and who's to say they can't make a 3 hour movie?

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ampersand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Weta Workshop is also the same company who did the Lord of the Ring series, so it ought to be good (Even though I've never seen any of the LoTR movies)

True, Weta did LotR, but that's just for props and effects. The most beautiful props and effects in the world can't salvage a movie if there's a bad director on board, and if the script's crap!

It just makes me worried how they're going to cram 26 episodes and 2 movies into one new movie-- old fears, I know, but they're still unaswered fears.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
>_> those are the same tards that thought a Live Action Dragonball would be cool as well I guess. :roll:

Well, I certainly wouldn't put it that way, but I think it's likely you'll get your wish and neither live-action Eva nor live-action DBZ will ever get out of preproduction, one because they don't have a studio backing them, and the other because the studio that optioned the rights (three years ago) and commissioned a script (last year) hasn't been acting like the film is anything other than a very, very backburner project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4