• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - The NHK Took My Baby Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
No light novel I've read has been as good. Highly recommended.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Beyond echoing the praise for the novel (far, far better than the manga - haven't seen the anime) it's worth pointing out that Michael Zielenziger's Shutting Out The Sun - How Japan Created It's Own Lost Generation is a very accessible, affordable and engrossing read for anybody interested in the hikikomori phenomenon (as well as various other Japanese social problems).

The forthcoming Saito Tamaki book mentioned in the article sounds like it could be interesting too - here's hoping Brian reviews it here when it comes out.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
How fortunate I managed to get this book when it first came out, and how rather stunned I was to find out how darker and more depressing the novel was over the Anime. It provided a very interesting read because I saw the Anime first, and it was a great book, but I still love the Anime. While the novel cut to the heart of the matter, I loved how the Anime expanded beyond it and touched on several subjects and themes so well, and at the very least the 'cute girl' character has an actual name in the Anime. Never read the manga, but if it's the same basic story as the novel and the Anime, I'm content with the latter two versions. And of course, being the Yoshitoshi ABe fan that I am, absolutely love the cover art.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article, although Welcome to the NHK never really interested me. I also read the article about hikikomori, and it made me really sad. It was a really good article, but it made me so sad. To think that there are people like that, and not just in Japan, it happens everywhere. It's too sad. It's like a curse that can almost never be reversed, the one doomed to walk the earth in solemnity, isolation, damnation, and loneliness.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, the anime seemed to focus on the "pervert" angle far more than in the book.

Really? I actually got the opposite impression when I read the novel. The scene you brought up made a good point, but the heavier emphasis on the lolicon side to Yamazaki's otakudom made him really unlikeable in the novel version to me--to the point where I was actually relieved spoiler[when he left to go back home].

This is kinda making me want to reread the book, though (which is still sitting on my bedside table). I'm thinking I might've missed some things the first time I read it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I've got a marginal bone to pick with you. Yes, the anime is less concise when it comes to the main, backbone plot. However, that is not neccecarily a bad thing. While unrelated to the main narrative, the many side stories and activities are all extremely relavent to the themes and tone of the show, and they do a wonderful job of making the show the most thematicaly focused thing I've ever seen. I am extremely proud to say that Welcome to the N.H.K. is my single most favorite series because of that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Beyond echoing the praise for the novel (far, far better than the manga - haven't seen the anime) it's worth pointing out that Michael Zielenziger's Shutting Out The Sun - How Japan Created It's Own Lost Generation is a very accessible, affordable and engrossing read for anybody interested in the hikikomori phenomenon (as well as various other Japanese social problems).

Haha, if it's not a light novel, nobody would read it, particularly in Japan where book reading is in heavy decline. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Really? I actually got the opposite impression when I read the novel. The scene you brought up made a good point, but the heavier emphasis on the lolicon side to Yamazaki's otakudom made him really unlikeable in the novel version to me--to the point where I was actually relieved spoiler[when he left to go back home].

Well, as I said in my first paragraph, I didn't get more than a few episodes into the anime, I really didn't like it. It's entirely possible that there were later scenes where the balance shifted the other way. I also think you're not supposed to like Yamazaki -- he is a bad influence on Satou, to say the least.

And perhaps the biggest flaw in the anime for me in terms of the pervert angle was, well, the DVD packaging. *shudder* Give me a nice Abe cover any day.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Well, as I said in my first paragraph, I didn't get more than a few episodes into the anime, I really didn't like it. It's entirely possible that there were later scenes where the balance shifted the other way. I also think you're not supposed to like Yamazaki -- he is a bad influence on Satou, to say the least.

That's definitely a difference between the two, then--I got the impression in the anime that, for all of his flaws, Yamazaki was really the only person around Satou that came even close to being actually supportive to him (although some of that was just about the game, but I don't think that was all of it).

Quote:
And perhaps the biggest flaw in the anime for me in terms of the pervert angle was, well, the DVD packaging. *shudder* Give me a nice Abe cover any day.

That I agree with. I remember the covers being one of the reasons why I didn't buy the show right away, even though I liked it. I waited for Funi's half-season boxsets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
I own all HNK thats been translated into English, and I must say that the novel is my by far my favorite rendition. I think its about time for a re-read.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Haha! Girls' skin can't be that shiny, can they! Laughing
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
wow, i never realized this even got a first print run. i had it pre-orded with rightstuf for months and then one day it was no longer listed on the site. i thought it had gotten canceled. maybe i should start looking for it and see if i can find an affordable copy.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
For some reason, Satou is called Satoru 5 times in this article.

Gah! That's what happens when I do my final proofreading at 3am.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought the DVD covers were supposed to be parody / a joke. They aren't THAT pervy, anyway. NHK is one of my absolute favorite anime series. I just think it is so beautiful, raw, and REAL. I loved everything about it. I watched the second half (12 episodes) in ONE night. The English dub is fabulous, too. Chris Patton is amazing.

Anyway ... I therefore REALLY wish I could find this book somewhere! PLEASE reprint!
gwern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll admit that I don't always read books in the proper order. In the case with Welcome to the N.H.K., I started out with the two author afterwords in the back of the book before I moved on to the main story. After finishing the book, I realized that they were in fact key to understanding the motivations behind the novel. In the first, written in 2001, author Tatsuhiko Takimoto implies that the main character of the story was based on his own experiences as a hikikomori and that “the themes addressed in this story are not things of the past for me but currently active problems.” Yet he concludes with an acknowledgment that he is going to try harder (presumably to become less of a hikikomori). In the second afterword, written in 2005, Takimoto admits that his life hasn't improved much – he is still a hikikomori and he is simply living from the royalties of his book and has not written any new stories in the intervening years. Even so, he holds out a faint hope that he will one day be able to cure his condition and do away with the persistent problems that have been driving him to remain a hikikomori.

Hm. When I watched the anime, I was particularly affected by the episodes dealing with the hikkomori who played an MMORPG all the time - it was fairly ordinary right up until he pointed to the self-help book he had written on how to cure his sort of problem, but which he never successfully followed.

At the time I wondered to myself, what sort of fellow wrote this? I'm not terribly surprised to read this about the author, but I am saddened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3