• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Interesting Uses of World Religious Figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

In the end spoiler[...Loki (now in his true adult form) encounters Mayura (who had her memories of Kid Loki and his detective agency erased), crying over the ruined remains of his old house and asks her if she wants to start a detective agency with him. Yamino shows up as a snake again, and Fenrir as a dog who can't speak, and Loki starts a detective agency with Mayura out of a shack made of the remains of his old mansion.]

The final page of the manga is one of my absolute favorite endings in a series. spoiler[ I love that Loki cares so much about Mayura and that she's still drawn to him, despite his new form. Their parting words are perfect. Loki asks Mayura,

"Well then...I wonder why you're still by my side here?"

I was totally expecting her to blush and say something lovey dovey. Instead, she responds with the perfect Mayura answer.

"That's because...I feel like I can get to know about lots and lots of super big mysteries if I hang around with you."

Loki, looking rather defeated that it's not a more romantic confession, simply shrugs it off and says, "Ah, I thought so." ]

Perfect ending!

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
getchman wrote:
maybe i should go back and watch the show again, but i never understood what happened to Hel in Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

I was never really sure of this either. It was almost as if she died or something? Though the anime is continued in the manga, so maybe its explained more there.

Also Loki as a more evil good is actually debatable. In early versions of the god he was viewed as a god of fire, and very benevolent to people.

Loki is considered evil in Western culture because Jack Kirby made him the main villain of his Thor comics. Otherwise it wouldn't be as bad.

Let's face it, when you're the central villain of one of the highest grossing films of all time, seeing that character as heroic is jarring to say the least.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Loki is considered evil in Western culture because Jack Kirby made him the main villain of his Thor comics. Otherwise it wouldn't be as bad.

Let's face it, when you're the central villain of one of the highest grossing films of all time, seeing that character as heroic is jarring to say the least.

Eh, it goes a bit earlier than that. When the Christians came along to Nordic culture and did that thing to convert people over by showing similarities between the current pagan religion and the Christian, and adopting various local rituals. Loki was never really "evil", but they he was an antagonist in a lot of situations so they connected him to the devil, as well as his daughter. Where do you think the word Hell comes from?

And yeah, Loki's the bad guy in the current movies, but he's one of those bad guys you can sympathize with to a degree which makes his character a lot more rich in my opinion.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
getchman wrote:
maybe i should go back and watch the show again, but i never understood what happened to Hel in Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

I was never really sure of this either. It was almost as if she died or something? Though the anime is continued in the manga, so maybe its explained more there.

Also Loki as a more evil good is actually debatable. In early versions of the god he was viewed as a god of fire, and very benevolent to people.

Loki does a *lot* of really crappy things in the original Eddas, such as:

Cutting off Sif's hair
Orchestrating the death the Baldur
and leading the giants to fight against the gods during Ragnarok.

Certain theories suggest general disdain of the Norse towards Loki due to him being featured in several stories as cross-dressing or taking on feminine attributes, such as physically birthing Sleipnir in the form of a female horse.

On the other hand, similar suggestions were made towards Odin after he sacrificed himself upon a tree to learn magick, typically a woman's domain in Norse culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I got two different answers but i'm still not understanding what happened with anime Hel.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I got two different answers but i'm still not understanding what happened with anime Hel.

I say this with kindness, what's confusing you? I'm not reading anything with two answers. In the anime, Hel spoiler[ never felt loved by her father and so her life force had wilted away. She hated her father, Loki, who never paid attention to her when he was a god in Asgard. She convinced Odin to help her get revenge on Loki for never loving her. In the end, Loki gives her the love she had always craved and gladly offers to die with her if it would make her happy. This gesture was all that she needed and so she died content. She no longer wished for her father to suffer.]

Once again, what caused Loki to be cast out of Asgard is completely different in the anime and manga. Maybe that's what's causing the confusion?

In the myth, he's cast out of Asgard and tied to a rock with his own intestines because he was responsible for the death of the god Balder, who was loved by everyone. Although Loki had played plenty of tricks on the gods, they had overlooked them before. Killing Balder, however, was the final straw. Hardly any of this directly pops up in the manga or anime. There's only a vague reference, which I don't want to get into too deeply or it might spoil things.

BTW- if any of you are interested in the Norse gods, A.S. Byatt wrote a brilliant story that combines her childhood experience with post-war England and her love of Norse mythology in her novel Ragnarok.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
In the myth, he's cast out of Asgard and tied to a rock with his own intestines because he was responsible for the death of the god Balder, who was loved by everyone. Although Loki had played plenty of tricks on the gods, they had overlooked them before. Killing Balder, however, was the final straw. Hardly any of this directly pops up in the manga or anime. There's only a vague reference, which I don't want to get into too deeply or it might spoil things.

I always found an important detail about that rock thing was that he was tied to the rock by the intestines of his son, Nari, on top of having poisonous venom dripped onto him. That always got me in a "omg, no wonder he decided to take the other side afterwards. Stupid gods. Sure, piss off the smartest guy among you"

I always loved Mythical Detective Loki because I was a huge mythology buff, and a fan of Loki, and tired of seeing her drawn up as an evil ugly thing when the myths always suggested he was actually very charismatic and attractive. Norse mythology doesn't really have good versus evil, everyone just is, and everyone has a fate foretold via the Norns, and the gods just accept they'll have to play out these fates when the time comes. Usually Loki would pull a prank, have a good laugh, and then have to clean up his mess, and he did, but in the end he just pulled one prank a bit too far. If it weren't for Loki the Norse gods would have been defeated plenty of times over by the Jotunns.

I personally think Baldur had it coming, and that there are very few characters in all of mythology with so much personality as Loki.

Baldur does pop up in the end of the manga though, along with Utgard Loki, Odin, and a few other creatures of pagan European mythology.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
getchman wrote:

I say this with kindness, what's confusing you?

I just wasn't sure if she died or just stopped being relevant and was put on a bus. now that I know what happened, spoiler[why did she die? No more life force from trying to kill her father?]. That arc just didn't make a lot sense to me, and it's been nearly 8 since I last watched the show.

Last edited by getchman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Quote:
Initially, her warriors are trained up from an orphanage she inherited from her foster grandfather.

You forgot the part in which the orphans are forced to train against their will. To make it worse, Athena is a damsel of distress most of the time so the only 5 warriors she has always bleed a lot in order to save her. Also, I never understood why a female god would force the women to hide their faces.
[/quote]

Because it was written by a guy who only concerns himself with the typical (yet, in this case effective) shounen formula. Also, about the masks, I'm not sure of this, but it could also be to keep Eagle Marin's identity a secret and hint at the possibility that she may or may not be Seiya's long lost sister.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Interesting article, it was fun to read. (Cthulhu was misspelt, though.)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
I know the old Nordic mythology but its piecemeal like Greek mythology. Some of the bigger stories are known, but a lot of it is speculation based on little document evidence.

Some scholars found evidence of a god called Logi who like I said was a benevolent god, who some theorize was letter turned into the current incarnation of Loki. Like I said the texts are kind of here and there, but the notions brought up in Campione are not that far off. Many of the old gods are probably amalgamations or altered from their originally form.

Also thanks for the summary on the manga. Honestly I am glad they ended where they did if thats what happens in the end. I never got any connection between Loki and Mayu at all, and even if there was I found her to be a poor character and would rather have Loki end up with Freya, Skuld, or even ex Wifey. Plus I am not to thrilled about him becoming.................

One last question what are the relationships in Loki Ragnarock? In myth Loki is odin's blood brother and Thor is Odin's son. But in the anime they never connect loki, thor, or odin at all. Honestly the only relationship intact is Freya and Frey.

Also one other point where is High School DxD? That is like Campione on drugs. Azarel, the angel cast to hell for not choosing sides, is tech geek play boy. Lucifer has a grandson who like butts. What about Vishnu is it? The Hindu God of war who apparently goes around with sun glasses acting very lackadaisical. Odin is a pervert. Etc.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
The #1 and #2 choices sync up well, given that Metatrons enemy is Aleister Crowley(essentially).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I never understood why a female god would force the women to hide their faces.

This is something that always bugged me to no end about Saint Seiya, which is why I am incredibly happy watching Omega, where there's such a strong character as Yuna, spoiler[who decides to rid of her mask and abandon that ridiculous law]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Jewish apocrypha, Metatron is the angel incarnation of Enoch and the ancestor of Noah.
Now I know nothing of Jewish interpertations of the Bible for the most part but isn't -

Oh wait, I got ancestor and descendent mixed up.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Quote:
In Jewish apocrypha, Metatron is the angel incarnation of Enoch and the ancestor of Noah.
Now I know nothing of Jewish interpertations of the Bible for the most part but isn't -

Oh wait, I got ancestor and descendent mixed up.

It's also important to note the difference between "apocrypha" and "canon" Biblical texts. Enoch exists in The Bible, but as far as becoming the angel Metatron, it's not "canon." There are a number of books left out of the official story for a variety of reasons. Some are written well past the others while others were left out for possibly more political reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3