• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - 20th Century Boys

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
I've always heard about this series but never really looked into it. Reading a bit of the summary from Jason's article, it seems pretty intriguing, and I must echo a previous poster:

How is it that a series like this, which seems to get more or less universal critical acclaim, does not have an anime adaptation? Is the current anime market too overrun with moe and otaku fodder that a series like this doesn't have a chance in hell in getting adapted?

It got three live-action feature films. Which was probably some kind of feat.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite character was Kyoko Koizumi, the schoolgirl with the rotten luck, who makes all those wonderful exasperated expressions (in both manga and live-action movie). As much as she tries to avoid being entangled in the fight between Kenji's group and the Friends, she ends up more entrenched in it by sheer coincidence, and it's both comical and tragic how she ends up getting wrangled back into things.

Yeah, "Disaster Child" is hilarious. Has the same "stumbled into significance" feel of the main characters, except she didn't inadvertently cause the plot, she just poked her nose in the wrong place and met the wrong person at the wrong time. And eventually, we find out she does have an extraordinary talent, which has no plot significance whatsoever. Laughing "I don't even want this [trophy]!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Yeah, "Disaster Child" is hilarious. Has the same "stumbled into significance" feel of the main characters, except she didn't inadvertently cause the plot, she just poked her nose in the wrong place and met the wrong person at the wrong time. And eventually, we find out she does have an extraordinary talent, which has no plot significance whatsoever. Laughing "I don't even want this [trophy]!"

Hey, that second bowling boom is coming one of these days!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I agree that was an excellent note for the very very very ending. -_-
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Juhachi wrote:
I've always heard about this series but never really looked into it. Reading a bit of the summary from Jason's article, it seems pretty intriguing, and I must echo a previous poster:

How is it that a series like this, which seems to get more or less universal critical acclaim, does not have an anime adaptation? Is the current anime market too overrun with moe and otaku fodder that a series like this doesn't have a chance in hell in getting adapted?

It got three live-action feature films. Which was probably some kind of feat.

Wasn't the first one the most expensive film Japan had ever made, too?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Damn I need to finish this manga someday. I read all the way up to where spoiler[Friend dies], and then I just stopped for some reason. Don't know why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2