• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai, GT Removed from Nicktoons Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
From what I heard, both got good ratings (though not sure about reruns). Like others have said, them being off the schedule doesn't mean they're off for good.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
From what I heard, both got good ratings (though not sure about reruns). Like others have said, them being off the schedule doesn't mean they're off for good.

Or does it? That's what's happened on all the other networks.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So? They've both been shown several times, haven't they? Shows get dropped and then show up again later all the time on channels like Nicktoons. This means nothing.
Tell that to the junky nicktoons show avatar the last airbender show has the dumbest story yet they have re played it like what 20 times Rolling Eyes here's hopeing kai will go to cartoonnetwork or Neon Alley

What do you have against ATLA?
IDK the story sux a hero who runs for most of the show and wines haf the show and it has lots of holes in it the only thing ill say about it is it looks ok smart to rip anime off that's for sure but the story is all over Rolling Eyes

There have been many shounen heroes way whinier than Aang. And I have to question how much of the show you actually watched if you're going to surmise that the story "sux." Also I missed the part where Japan copyrighted the style in which anime is drawn, because if the creators of Avatar have ripped that off I wonder how dear old Walt would've felt about the early stuff put out by good folks like Osamu Tezuka whose works were meant to emulate Disney animation. Also to round out the end of my post, just because Nicktoons is choosing not to have Kai and GT on their schedule currently doesn't mean that right to air the shows has it expired, in fact they more than likely haven't thus other networks can't be so quick to scoop the shows up. It's likely Nick knows about the episodes of Kai that are in production and will more than likely hold on to the rights to the show until those come out.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So? They've both been shown several times, haven't they? Shows get dropped and then show up again later all the time on channels like Nicktoons. This means nothing.
Tell that to the junky nicktoons show avatar the last airbender show has the dumbest story yet they have re played it like what 20 times Rolling Eyes here's hopeing kai will go to cartoonnetwork or Neon Alley

What do you have against ATLA?
IDK the story sux a hero who runs for most of the show and wines haf the show and it has lots of holes in it the only thing ill say about it is it looks ok smart to rip anime off that's for sure but the story is all over Rolling Eyes

Your comment makes me wonder what show you've been watching because it sure as hell doesn't sound like ATLA. Aang rarely whines and when he does what do you expect? He's 12! And the show is not "all over" it has a very specific plot.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
There have been many shounen heroes way whinier than Aang. And I have to question how much of the show you actually watched if you're going to surmise that the story "sux." Also I missed the part where Japan copyrighted the style in which anime is drawn.

The writers admitted to ripping off anime dude.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I like the Dragon Ball franchise, but to suggest it is superior to ATLA is pretty dubious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
There have been many shounen heroes way whinier than Aang. And I have to question how much of the show you actually watched if you're going to surmise that the story "sux." Also I missed the part where Japan copyrighted the style in which anime is drawn.

The writers admitted to ripping off anime dude.
I'm pretty sure the phrase they would use is "influenced by".

And well you didn't answer the due's question. Why is it a negative that it's very "anime"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I like the Dragon Ball franchise, but to suggest it is superior to ATLA is pretty dubious.

Please tell me you're joking >_> Dragonball outclasses Avatar in every single category.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Well that was short lived, at least in the sense that this is Dragon Ball Z Kai we are talking about.

Then again, this was the censored version, so no surprise that the ratings would eventually decrease over time.

Hopefully this airs on Toonami uncensored as that probably will garner more views.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Please tell me you're joking >_> Dragonball outclasses Avatar in every single category.

ATLA has:

- Better planning
- Fuller characters
- Better focus
- Much, much better animation

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well that was short lived, at least in the sense that this is Dragon Ball Z Kai we are talking about.

Then again, this was the censored version, so no surprise that the ratings would eventually decrease over time.

Hopefully this airs on Toonami uncensored as that probably will garner more views.

I can't imagine the ratings decreased because it was the "censored" version (and it wasn't censored that much, especially compared to how DBZ was on Toonami).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ATLA has:

- Better planning
- Fuller characters
- Better focus
- Much, much better animation

- Planning of what?
- Fuller how? Zuko was like G-rated Vegeta and doesn't hold a candle to the character he was clearly based on. Zuko wasn't even a third of the character Vegeta was -_-;
- Focus of what?
- Avatar's animation was waaay too boring and basic. Dragonball had much better cinematography and the action sequences had actual weight and feel to their blows unlike airbender. Though maybe that's more of a censorship thing given how kiddy that show was >_> And DBZK had lots censored on Nickelodeon I dunno what you're talking about most people were totally riffing on how censored it was.

http://dbzkedits.3gkai.com/?p=391
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The writers of ATLA clearly planned the story better than Toriyama, who admits to sort of flying by the seat of his pants. And Zuko was a much more nuanced character than ANGRY WARRIOR GUY WITH PRIDE. He works through his feelings more realistically. And the story does not jerk the watcher around for every ADD whim of Toriyama's.

As for Kai's censorship on TV, I was comparing it to original DBZ's censorship, and in comparison to that, it's pretty reasonable. It's a shame that there's any censorship, but we're talking about a network for very young children and given that, the censorship could have been much worse (look at the 4Kids block version).
CosmicRage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
GT has no place being on TV... Every time I channel surfed it'd always be the lost episodes arc or the arc of gathering dragon balls, never the android saga which was easily the best arc of GT.

Wasn't really a fan of Kai either. And ATLA should have better animation it was done over a decade after DBZ and not cel animation either.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And Zuko was a much more nuanced character than ANGRY WARRIOR GUY WITH PRIDE. He works through his feelings more realistically. And the story does not jerk the watcher around for every ADD whim of Toriyama's.

-_-; ADD jokes and strawmaning? Really man?

CosmicRage wrote:

Wasn't really a fan of Kai either. And ATLA should have better animation it was done over a decade after DBZ and not cel animation either.

You'd think so huh? But the choreography is pretty bad and DBZ manages to do much more impressive techniques. Razz I guess being old doesn't matter so much when it comes to style. That's why DB is such a timeless classic and influenced so many shows.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:

I think we have a blasphemer in our midst.

First, you have a fantastic name, I absolutely hated camping that NM and I never, ever got my O-Kotes...ugh.

Anyways, don't give in to the, dare I say it, trolls man. There are people out there who care way too much about Japan being the only anime vehicle. Let them stew their pots alone, we shall enjoy the meats of delicious soups that run rich with freedom.

I have no idea where I was going with that, I just sort of tried to tie that all in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4