• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Author: Comic Mega Store Magazine Suspended Due to Obscenity Probe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akitasaito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
s0beit wrote:
DTJB wrote:
Well dang, and here I though Japan was easing up on it's censorship laws over the past few years.

Are you kidding? They've only gotten more restrictive over time, and it's probably never going to improve.

Once the ball gets rolling in government, they usually don't stop until it's completely destroyed. They can say they're just saying to preserve public morals, or just restrict it a little, but they keep taking bites out of the industry until it's on it's knees.

Ishihara's law, enforcing obscenity laws (which are complete garbage in the first place - "obscene" material is completely subjective), all the nonsense with publishers owning the rights to manga and LNs, SOPA, the new trade agreement they've joined making derivative works a criminal offense.

It's really, really not looking good for Japan's doujinshi market.

That's why you must stockpile for the inevitable doujin apocalypse.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Attacking the doujin market sounds like a bad idea. It's really easy for a few thousand otaku to not buy your anime, or your game, or your manga.
s0beit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Attacking the doujin market sounds like a bad idea. It's really easy for a few thousand otaku to not buy your anime, or your game, or your manga.

It isn't an issue of the companies requesting the government to do anything, though. The government is acting on it's own because these obscenity violations are criminal, not civil actions.

That makes it much, much worse, since government busybodies make it their job to attack the next big thing.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
s0beit wrote:
Are you kidding? They've only gotten more restrictive over time, and it's probably never going to improve.

The details of what's been draw have certainly changed which has led me to assume the laws have been more lenient. It's gone from no depictions at all and forcing the viewers to use their imaginations, to the point that the drawings are so detailed, any "censorship" added tends to be pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2