• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Licenses Rio - Rainbow Gate! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Agree. I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered Ai no Kusabi DVDs, which MB said they'd release in December 2012 and didn't and then said they'd release in April 2013 and didn't.

This is out already. Amazon has already shipped some copies and still has it in stock. It just seems that Rightstuf and Rac's have yet to receive their orders for it. I am also eagerly awaiting my copy to ship from Rightstuf, but am thankful it has not because my wallet is kind of moth ridden at the moment and the shipping delay works in my favor.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters: No body scrapes the bottom of the barrel better then us! Laughing

Poor dears they really are nothing but a walking corpse these days.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Agree. I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered Ai no Kusabi DVDs, which MB said they'd release in December 2012 and didn't and then said they'd release in April 2013 and didn't.

This is out already. Amazon has already shipped some copies and still has it in stock. It just seems that Rightstuf and Rac's have yet to receive their orders for it. I am also eagerly awaiting my copy to ship from Rightstuf, but am thankful it has not because my wallet is kind of moth ridden at the moment and the shipping delay works in my favor.

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad to know it's finally on its way. Smile
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
It really annoys me that they continue to license stuff despite not being able to release tons of things fans really did want.

...glad that won't be a problem here! Cool
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that Media Blasters licensed "Rio-Rainbow Gate!" I didn't think that anyone would. From what I knew,it seemed to be a more grown-up version of "Kaliedo Star." I hope they dub it. It'll be interesting to see how this does.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that many people suggested that Media Blasters license this title? Or was it the least expensive license with the most suggestions?

The show had some enjoyable moments, but it's certainly not something I'd be interested in watching again, or purchasing.

Well, hopefully Media Blasters can get some releases out, make some money, and attain some new licenses from fans' suggestions.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Rainbow Gate gets licensed when there are so many more deserving titles? It's practically criminal. Media Blasters must really be desperate to dredge up this show. Why don't they just license some real hentai instead?

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
An excellent purchase.

Assuming it comes out.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm amazed that Media Blasters licensed "Rio-Rainbow Gate!" I didn't think that anyone would. From what I knew,it seemed to be a more grown-up version of "Kaliedo Star." I hope they dub it. It'll be interesting to see how this does.

I like the series but I can't imagine it's a more grown-up version of anything. Kaliedo Star would have to be juvenile to the point of making Doraemon seem like The Wire if Rio is a more grown up version of it.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
With MB, all plans are soft until 30 minutes prior. Just my 2 cents.

I don't always agree with Bob, but QFT.

(sad, but true...)
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
why!!?
Rio is terrible even for fanservice.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
A decent series but not good enough for me to want to wait *fill in the length of time* to buy it.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
With MB, all plans are soft until 30 minutes prior. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, QFT.

Unless a new MB release is listed as "in stock", I won't even consider it anymore. As their reputation has really gone down the drain especially in the past year with all the cancellations & delays.

Case in point, look at Juden-Chan. They announced it's license back in January. It's supposed to be released next month, but yet Rightstuf is the only one lists it for that date(others including RACS don't even list it). At this point, it'll probably miss the release date and no explanation given as to why.

As for this license, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Rio is probably the worst show Xebec has put out in recent years. It's not just the fanservice, the story was really bad even for a show based on a game.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Not sure I'd buy it, but it's good to see Media Blasters TRYING to get out of this horrid train-wreck state they're in. I'd love to see them get back to releasing stuff on a regular basis. They could be the Britney Spears of anime licensing companies (weird analogy I know, but you get the point).

I admit though, I've never seen a company acquire such a range in quality. They've licensed amazing shows like Fushigi Yugi, Rurouni Kenshin, and Magic Knight Rayearth, but also garbage like Green Green, Eiken, and Ninja Resurrection. Yes, all companies have their good and bad shows, but Media Blasters is such an unbelievable case of this.

Kruszer wrote:
Rainbow Gate gets licensed when there are so many more deserving titles? It's practically criminal. Media Blasters must really be desperate to dredge up this show. Why don't they just license some real hentai instead?

They do, under their Kitty Media label.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a little-watched half-forgotten low-budget title from two years ago is just the thing to get Media Blasters back on their feet. And pigs will fly.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Its probably a matter of cost. Zetsubou Sensei is actually a known property so it would cost money to license.

Yeah, it would cost money and it did cost money. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Media Blasters actually had the license but let it lapse without releasing anything. I don't know what behind-the-scenes shenanigans went on that stopped them from releasing it but the company clearly don't have their head in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5