• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Cat's Eye, Princess Nine, Campanella, Sengoku Collection Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Is there a reason LotGH never got released stateside? I don't think the creator has a problem with the U.S. and anime the way Ikeda did...

I've heard of several failed efforts to license it. I'm not well versed in the subject, but I recall that Sam Pinansky explained on an episode of ANNCast that its rights are controlled by a very traditional company, Tokuma Shoten, that has unreasonably high expectations for any licensing arrangement.

willag wrote:
...I may just buy it again, because it's the Right Stuf, baby (Ooooo)!

*tilts head downward, glares over glasses and shakes head slowly*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I've had Princess Nine for a long time, but never watched more than the sample episodes I saw in fansub form. It has a great soundtrack that always reminds me of Randy Newman's soundtrack for The Natural (another baseball movie). I see RightStuf still has the two soundtrack CDs listed --- three dollars each.

I'm delighted by the Sengoku Collection news. While not brilliant, it's another one of those series that's far better than its premise would lead you to expect.

And I'll probably pick up Cat's Eye just because it's a well-beloved title from the early anime eria.

Last edited by dm on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Cat's Eye and Princess Nine are must buys for me. Sengoku Collection is a maybe right now, as i've heard conflicting opinions about the series. Campanella i can safely skip, methinks.

I had been hoping they would announce some other classics, such as Dear Brother or Aim for The Ace, but the announcement of Cat's Eye is already a pretty good result, as well as their mention of negotiating for the license of another notable classic that had been considered to be a "never gonna happen" kinda thing.

It's nice to hear that they're finally starting to consider doing Blu-Ray releases for select series. From their current catalog, Nadesico in particular should really be a no-brainer for a BD set. It was one of ADV's best-selling titles back in the day, and still retains a pretty good fanbase even now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
The latter might be the only way that they could equal getting The Rose of Versailles.

I would say Legend of the Galactic Heroes easily trumps Rose of Versailles in momentous achievement if a license were to occur. I definitely need to finish Rose of Versailles, but there's just nothing remotely like LoGH, even by the same author.

If it ever were licensed, I can only see DVD for the immediate future, but the BD does have an advantage of more bitrate and better image, but the whole series really needs a new transfer from film. You can't tell me episode volume is an issue when UY and Ranma 1/2 are getting full HD transfers and look rather acceptable for their film stock and low budget.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
willag wrote:
...I may just buy it again, because it's the Right Stuf, baby (Ooooo)!

*tilts head downward, glares over glasses and shakes head slowly*

You're the reason why I sing this song.
Oh oh oh oh oh

C'mon, I can't be the only person who's ever started singing that song at the mention of Right Stuf's name!

Bueler?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation had previously licensed and streamed the series in 2010, but did not release it on home video.

I was wondering what had happened to Shukufuku no Campanella

willag wrote:

15:34:01 <bay> Q: I brought this up last year?
15:34:04 <bay> A: Did I answer it?
15:34:07 <bay> Q: No
15:34:32 <bay> A: Good, i don't like answering questions

Laughing

But seriously, I'm glad they're willing to consider blu-rays however, I really wished they could've made that decision for the later two recent titles Campanella and Sengoku Collection. Sengoku Collection looks fantastic in 1080p
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed "Sengoku Collection," but not so sure I'd want to buy it. I guess I'll have to re-watch it at some point soon. Very happy to see "Cat's Eye" getting a second chance at release, especially if Right Stuf actually gets the whole series out and not just season 1.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I own the original ADV release of Princess Nine and do think it's an enjoyable show. It came with some cute extras, like eating at a Ramen house and what to do at tea ceremonies. I wonder if the extras will be included? Regardless, I'm happy to see a new audience will have the chance to see it.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
How come funimation drops Campanella. I hope this one gets a dub!
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Been wanting Princess Nine for a long time. Which is saying a lot since I honestly can't stand watching actual baseball. Glad to see someone finally rescued it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Princess Nine is getting a new release. I've tried in the past to get the ADV version, but it was always out of my price range due to being OOP for a long time.

Master Luc wrote:
How come funimation drops Campanella. I hope this one gets a dub!

It's possible that it has the same problem that some streaming only shows like OniAi has, low view numbers compared to other shows. Which Funimation has mentioned in the past is an indicator on which shows to license for home video rights.

Either way, I guess this is why Funimation had no comment on the show during the recent ANNcast.

Last edited by tangytangerine on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
How come funimation drops Campanella.

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsdotbiz/status/353276994458365952

Humberto Saabedra wrote:
They ended up dropping home video rights after the simulcast did poorly.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was expecting them to announce one license, not four!

Sweet, an older series! I love 80s stuff, so I'm probably going in for Cat's Eye. It's also hard to not have a thing for thieving series because of Lupin III (speaking of which, season 2 of that is my next rescue request after Paranoia Agent, you or Discotek, I don't care)

Normally I'd be all "meh" on sports, except Big Windup was really good, so I'm willing to give Princess Nine the benefit of the doubt as long as the set is cheap.

The other two, I can't see myself watching, though I certainly hope the titles sell well for them. I just don't generally like all female casts, the fact that I want to check out Princess Nine is an oddity. It could be that I find most all (or almost all) female casts to be way too pandering or annoying, it's not that they can't work, but that I don't see them work often enough while all male casts (yaoi excluded because you kind know what you're getting into at that point) seem to work more often for me.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
Would truly love it if we saw a complete release of the Lupin III series and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (come on rightstuf, make it happen...!) Very Happy

The latter might be the only way that they could equal getting The Rose of Versailles.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes holds the #1 spot on my license wish list! It would be awesome if that ends up being the announcement later on.

(edited to add: It suddenly occurred to me that the future announcement might be Gundam related, considering their recent deal with Bandai to release Gundam UC on DVD. Maybe Turn A Gundam?)

I already have the earlier ADV Princess Nine on my shelves and the DVDs are still in perfect condition. It would take some super-awesome remaster for me to consider double dipping at this point. Nice announcement, though. It's a good show.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Princess Nine a fun series and another ADV title been sadly long out of print. Only collection for the series came out 2004. Been long time hard to find series and trust me I know. I tried to track down collection or missing volumes I didn't have a few years ago. Wasn't easy then. Can't even imagine now. So glad to see it re licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4