• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bang Zoom Dubs 1st Star Blazers/Yamato 2199's Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Production I.G. is behind the dub (they also used Bang Zoom for Haruka). Voyager is just distributing. I can see another company getting home video rights.

Does ANYONE know who the cast is?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
^ The only name we know so far is Johnny Yong Bosch, and that's only because someone at the AX premiere recognized his voice.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Looks like a decent dub studio on board at least, but if they try ti dumb this down in the dub or subs, I'll be skipping and importing the Japanese BD's which have English subs anyway.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
Three Words: Wave Motion Gun.

Coolest Effin' Thing Ever.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Hopefully the title is all that's changed and not everything else...judging by the one picture it looks like they didn't change Yamato but I'm going off a promo pic.

The title change makes sense since the name
'Starblazers' is probably better known in North America but I too hope that the title is the only thing that has been changed.

Old fans of 'Starblazers' who are use to the westernized character names and such might be confused by the original Japanese names but as other have stated we are long past the need for drastic changes to anime in order to suit western viewers.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So help me, if they call the ship "Argo", I'm not spending a red penny on this damn release.

I guess you'll be saving money, because thats exactly what they did. There a 8 minute subbed version of Star Blazers 2199 on Youtube. Voyager simply changed names to match the old dubbed series.

Its bad they can't let go of the old naming. Marketing or no marketing, their just going make it worse.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh God. Seriously, why does the name StarBlazers need to rear its ugly mug in the R1 region, AGAIN? It wasn't okay then and it isn't right now. The name of the show and titular show is Space Battleship Yamato. The word Yamato( (大和) or in the case of the franchise ヤマト can mean many things. As you know, the term Yamato is used to refer to the dominant ethnic group of Japan.

The show, no franchise is about the ethnocentrism and nationalism of the Japanese people and to remove that references causes the show to lose all meaning in North America/anywhere in which the show had a similar moniker. The term Yamato is also another name for Japan. The boat is not named "Argo" and to rename it as such is disrespectful and wrong. Imagine if in some heavily American series, the Japanese renamed the "White House" to the "Kokyo" or something.

That would be wrong, due to 2 reasons. The White House is not the residence of Japanese royalty and 2, it's called the White House. If the term "Yamato" offends US soliders, then watch some American/non-Japanese cartoon, because GASP, it's so wrong for the average Japanese cartoon to have things to do with Japan. It's not like US cartoons aren't mostly about America or some derivative, right? Also, the nostalgia excuse doesn't work. Nostalgia is only good, when the thing you longed for is actually of any worth. Star Blazers didn't have any worth in 1979 and it has no worth now.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Robotnik wrote:
IMHO changing Yamato to Argo is really a "sensitivity over World War II" issue that isn't valid in this day and age, and I say that as someone whose grandparents lived through the Japanese occupation.

I will be more angry over cheesy character name changes to match the old version. And yes I did grow up watching the show in the 1970's. But the age group that would think the name "Derek Wildstar" is cool aren't the target audience for expensive anime blurays.

Anyway, I wish we had confirmation over whether there are character name changes so I can figure out how the hell I'm gonna save up for the Japanese blurays ($80 each).

Now I'm wondering if its been a waste of money buying the Japanese BD, Vol.5 has just been shipped from AmazonJP Sad
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Now I'm wondering if its been a waste of money buying the Japanese BD, Vol.5 has just been shipped from AmazonJP :(

No, it hasn't been. I'm really looking forward to getting my copy of BD 6 in a week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2