• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Maria Holic Alive

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first season and thought it was hilarious. I'm glad to know I can watch season 2. Woo hoo!
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Maria Holic is a funny manga/anime and I've hopping for a new series to start. But the one thing I'm also looking forward is the ero-Doujinshi. I hope Abgrund (Udk) makes another HOLIC+HOLIC manga.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to hearing that this is coming to TAN VOD as well Smile
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
I have a Love/Hate relationship with Shinbo series, sadly with most falling in the hate category. That said, I enjoyed the first season, and since I am a subscriber to AN Online, will partake of the simulcast (or would nearcast be more appropriate since it will be available 3 days after initial broadcast in Japan? To be honest, no show is a true simulcast). I will likely pick up the DVD release as well.

Someone mentioned To-Loveru - I am assuming the rights holders are asking for more than Sentai is willing to pay at this time. They know what they can likely expect sales-wise based on the first season. Hopefully they will pick up Motto eventually since I enjoyed it more than the first season. I do have the first season on my shelf, although the second half where they parted from the manga was subpar, in my opinion.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Maria Holic is a funny manga/anime and I've hopping for a new series to start. But the one thing I'm also looking forward is the ero-Doujinshi. I hope Abgrund (Udk) makes another HOLIC+HOLIC manga.

You've read the "traps" doujins?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

2. It had over a year since anyone had simulcast a SHAFT-produced anime.

That's most likely because SHAFT shows are damn expensive given how high the animation quality are for their "A-Level" work. For example, Madoka, Bakemonogatari, and ef. None of which have been licensed for release in the US. In order for SHAFT/Shinbou/Oonuma to make a profit off the license, they would have to charge US companies quite a hefty amount. As a result, US companies would have to charge a large amount for the box sets to make up for that, and this is without a dub for the cheapest scenario. As most people know, the market here is small or has shrunk significantly and people are not willing to pay the price Japanese people pay for box sets, so companies will avoid those prices. If companies therefore charge the $65 box set price, they're likely going to have negative profit for the series. Hence why we most likely don't see these titles here. Not to mention that the target audience for the 3 aforementioned shows are already small in the US. Magical Girl, Supernatural/Complex plot, and romance respectively.

Shows like Hidamari, Pani Poni Dash, and Maria Holic are more B- Level. Most of which have licenses...and they get licensed for a reason that I'm not exactly sure of.

Then there are the C-Level...like Negima! and Natsu no Arashi. Natsu no Arashi was definitely a good show, but had a lower budget than typical SHAFT shows and definitely underrated. Arakawa is kind of in the same boat. These shows are toss up licenses/simulcasts depending on how big the target audience is in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2