• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Move to Washington D.C. in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel a little bummed about this. I'm riding the train home from my first Otakon and damned well know that they need the space and a better laid out facility not hobbled by the BCC's awful layout and that stupid skybridge, but I really got to like being in downtown Baltimore. It felt really comfortable in a way that Washington D.C. never has too me. I think that Baltimore needs this more than Washington does. I guess it can't be helped, but this just feels wrong to me.

And it's also a longer train ride, which isn't much of a complaint, but darn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
After fourteen years of going to Otakon, this feels...really awkward. It feels like I'm losing a piece of my home.

...I think I need a hug.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well after driving 7hrs to Baltimore this move will cut my commute a bit. Hell at this point flying in is a much better option for me. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
If they moved it to late March, those cherry blossoms next to the Potomac would make an epic cosplay photoshoot background.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2,300,000 sq ft seems better, but it always boggles my mind when a place like Orange County Convention Center has 7,000,000 sq ft and Megacon only uses one of the smaller halls in the West concourse. I guess being not centrally located or on the West Coast diminishes its use, because the place is absolutely massive.

MegaCon next year will be in the south concourse which is larger.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
MegaCon next year will be in the south concourse which is larger.

It was there once before in 2008, but I think they only used like 1/4th of the space. And looking at the recent maps, it appears at least this year's Megacon expanded into more dealer's room space by using up all of Hall E in the West concourse. I also think all of the West halls can open up into one giant area, but I'm not sure. I think only the largest of the nerd conventions could possibly use it all up. I hope Megacon grows larger in regard to attracting anime personalities. If they can fly to Baltimore, Washington, and New York, what's an hour or two more to Orlando? At least it's guaranteed to never be cold there even in the middle of Winter. Chilly maybe, but it'll never approach anywhere near freezing during the day. Looking at Comiket 84, I don't know how anyone can put up with little or no A/C in giant open room with thousands of sweaty nerds in 100+ degree weather. Apparently Baltimore isn't much better.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow didn't expect Otakon to relocate. But I guess this is for the better. I've only attended Otakon once in 99 while it was still in Baltimore. But if it's a better venue go for it. But 2017 is a long way away. It seems long but before you know it we'll be there in no time.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope they told the water guy with the autotune megaphone... "Mommy, daddy, mommy, daddy... That's the sound of my kid starving because there aren't any nerds to buy my ice cold water."

I'm down for this. The space issues at BCC were kind of a hassle, particularly for the Evangelion and Wolf Children premiers. The biggest room in the convention center has the least amount of space for lines because they're fenced in by the fountain, stairs, and being the main entrance for the convention. They weren't even letting us line up for Wolf Children over an hour before it started because the tiny designated space for lines had filled up. Sure, everybody go in eventually, but it was a mess getting there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been to Otakon before they were in Baltimore.

Chagen46 wrote:
Wow, assuming my mom drags me to Richmond to see relatives AGAIN, I might actually be able to hit this. Sweet.

Dude, it's 4 years from now. Hopefully by then ya could drag yourself there.

Joe Mello wrote:

However, I would be unsurprised if the first year in DC features a $100 badge price.

I pay at least double that for VIP passes. Very Happy
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This was my 5th Otakon, and believe me, this news was a bit of a relief to hear that the con will be moving to a bigger venue. Just the scary part for me will be me driving to DC, me being in my very late 20's at that time, and finally just wondering what the hell I'll be doing in life in general (almost done with my BS degree).

The future can a be scary thing to think about sometimes. But in terms of Otakon, I hope it all turns out for the better.

(PS. NOBODY will ever miss the sky bridge)

Last edited by barrelroller on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, it's 4 years from now. Hopefully by then ya could drag yourself there.

Oh, really.

Well, I hope to go to college in either DC itself (great), Cambridge (good, 7-hour drive on east coast highways EFF YEAH), or California (uh...), so...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Otakon is an East Coast convention, doesn't make much sense to move it to the Bay Area on the West Coast.

Surprisingly, Wolf Children surpassed Evangelion in attendence. Evangelion had empty seats, Wolf Children was completely full and people were turned away.

Believe Otakon would go back to Baltimore, if the BCC expands.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It never made sense to me that the big east coast convention was in Baltimore...there's nothing in Baltimore. Just a bunch of mopes wandering about.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Otakon is an East Coast convention, doesn't make much sense to move it to the Bay Area on the West Coast

If you're talking to me, that was my point.

If I'm going to college in Cali, going over to DC for Otakon MIGHT be a little difficult.

But I like DC so I'd probably visit anyway.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Otakon is an East Coast convention, doesn't make much sense to move it to the Bay Area on the West Coast.

Surprisingly, Wolf Children surpassed Evangelion in attendence. Evangelion had empty seats, Wolf Children was completely full and people were turned away.

Believe Otakon would go back to Baltimore, if the BCC expands.

Yeah, a friend of my told me he tried to get in and he was turned away. I was honestly shocked as I never even heard of WC before I heard it was premiering here.

As for Eva 3.0, I personally didn't like the movie (saw it before Otakon). I enjoyed both Eva 1.11 and 2.22 but 3.0 was just a borefest imho. I'm not a die hard Eva fan, but I would've personally of watched WC too if I had to choose between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3