• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's 2009 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.741 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
But DVDs/Blu-rays are still easily the most profitable element in the american anime industry, so if they're not doing well, then you know shit's getting bad. Confused
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If people refuse to buy anime for 30-40 dollars for 13-26 episodes what makes you think they're going to buy anime for 60-80 dollars for two episodes in a language they don't understand.

Bullshit. I have never once bought an R1 release. And guess what? I'm eagerly waiting for all Madoka Blurays to be delivered to me starting this month. Each one was 100$, with shipping.

Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan? They have a shrinking population, and mainstream hits are few and far between.

Yes, it can. It has lived without the US for decades, it will live on without it. True, there might be less shows coming out, but that also means less crap because of fear of loss. Luckily for me, that means they would make more shows guaranteed to sell, for the otakus, and that's just the kind of thing I like. But, if the R1 industry dies, the R2 will NOT die with it. That's just not how it works. Anime sales have increased in Japan, and 60% of the whole Bluray market there is anime.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Wow sales go down as unemployment goes up shocker.

I still can't believe that people are trying to blame the collapse of North American anime on the economy in general. The decline started long before unemployment started to climb, and the downturn in anime sales has been much more pronounced than other home entertainment areas over the same period of time. It's clearly more than just the economy at play.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
If people refuse to buy anime for 30-40 dollars for 13-26 episodes what makes you think they're going to buy anime for 60-80 dollars for two episodes in a language they don't understand.

Why are you talking about anime? Did you check the chart? DVDs mean crap in the American market. People import anime merchandise from Japan, and that's no news.

There you go. Fansubs issue easily solved. Offer physical anime merchandise. Even pirates can't make their TV give birth to a real figure.

Most of the character goods are from Pokemon, you remove pokemon and the character goods are down by more than half. The average anime fan isn't going to buy body pillows. You're making the same mistake bandai visual made which was expecting that you can easily make money by simply using business models aimed at the japanese.

DmonHiro wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Bullshit. I have never once bought an R1 release. And guess what? I'm eagerly waiting for all Madoka Blurays to be delivered to me starting this month. Each one was 100$, with shipping.

Fantastic, and do you honestly believe that a significant portion of sales in Japan are made by foreigners? Yeah I doubt it.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
This report is flawed, especially after the fiasco of the 2007 report release. I actually laughed when I read this:
Quote:
According to NPD's retail tracking data, about 60% of the anime characters goods market in the United States belongs to Pokémon-related items.

Way to stave off the inevitable issues ahead of time.

One of these days, we'll actually get real data so we can see those titles which influence large changes. It is not beyond the scope of reason the sales from the Dragonball, Pokemon, Bleach, or Naruto franchises had a considerable impact on the large change. However, this will be disregarded because there's only one culprit for the loss in sales despite all the information proving the contrary.

I wonder what a report looks like without these major franchises influencing the numbers.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You're making the same mistake bandai visual made which was expecting that you can easily make money by simply using business models aimed at the japanese.

As if. I'm not talking about anime merchandise made for the United States in China.
coral422

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
The increase of merchandising must be partly because anime is seen more of a culture today than a genre of media. I also find it interesting that the American anime video market has dropped in 2010 even with the whole digital streaming thing. But I hope eventually the decrease would gradually become stabilized because the market now has changed drastically from 2003. But it doesn't mean anime is getting less popular or anything. It's more important for American distributors right now to stay alive and release quality products than take risks and bad decisions.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
[
Fantastic, and do you honestly believe that a significant portion of sales in Japan are made by foreigners? Yeah I doubt it.

And where exactly did I say they were? I just said that I don't give a crap on the R1 industry.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
coral422 wrote:
The increase of merchandising must be partly because anime is seen more of a culture today than a genre of media. I also find it interesting that the American anime video market has dropped in 2010 even with the whole digital streaming thing.
First, there is no secular trend of an "increase in merchandising" ~ its bumping along at about the same level for the past five years. If Pokemon is over half of it, then other established recognizable figures will be much of the balance ~ so, for instance, Ponyo may be taking up some of the slack as more mature properties fade,

On the "digital to the rescue" side, note the number in manga while sales of "digital comics" (without manga split out) grew by somewhere in the range of 600%~%1600 ...
... that was +$5m to +$7.5m, with manga getting only an undefined piece of that, while total manga sales were down $28m,

These are gross sales rather than rights income figures, and royalties might be higher for streaming than for DVD's ... but still 20% of a $30 DVD purchase is a tad higher than even 50% of, say, $0.10~$0.25 of ad revenue from streaming a series on Hulu. It will take much more than ad-supported streaming to replace the DVD-oriented business model of the early 00's ~ a whole market ecosystem based on a broad base of easily accessible free streams, subscription model streaming sites which will generate the bulk of streaming revenue, and some workable download to own would be required, combined with a richer overall rights income share.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

If you are indeed buying blurays directly from Japan, that's a good thing, you are putting money into the hands of the creators, which is always a good thing (no accounting for taste in shows, however, but that's my opinion). However, most people who buy here in America don't want to spend that much money. Anime fans here will complain about anything, even when their requests are met. Sadly, we are a very greedy people, and that, I believe is one of the problems.

It's not just the american market that's crashing either. In Japan, there have already been several studios that have closed their doors. Right now, we are getting mostly crap shows that they know will sell to otakus and hikkikomori, ie: moe shows and fanservice. Very rarely will a studio like Brian's Base or Production IG release an actual thought provoking show, and it's usually those that sell in america (even though most anime sales in america is DBZ). Especially now with the crisis in Japan, studios are only going to want to release "safe" shows, or as I like to call it, "crap". And even then, Japanese sales have been gradually declining as well. It's mostly being sustained by hikkikomori who buy every dvd release, every bluray release, and everything they can find of certain shows.

While it is true these are only numbers from the american market, keep in mind, the american market is a smaller reflection on the market in Japan.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
hmmm.. well I buy what i can when I can, I don't really see a reason to do "figures here" since most series only get a stream online or straight to dvd/bluray release only so it's not profitable to them. I buy figures from japan all the time as well as cd's etc, I didn't really feel like showing but this is my collection from early 2011, i have even more now just to lazy to take a new pics lol.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Hang on, do you guys know how to read statistics? Anime DVDs make a sliver of the anime market. Not only that but going by the numbers here the sales in 2003 (the peak year) was 316, in 2006 they hit 374 (all in millions). It now stands at 306. I'm not seeing an epidemic of fansubbing heavily affecting DVD sales here. Though the last year saw a weirdly high drop, but there certainly wasn't some huge increase in illegal downloading in 2010.

I think the more significant thing here is how important Goods are. That's where most of the decline is. DVD sales have declined by 20% or so before 2010, But Character goods by 1/2.

This would indicate to me that less people are interested in Anime.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Any thoughts on why the 2003 crash had a delayed effect on manga sales? I would have thought it would parallel video/merchandising sales (although it does looks like dvd sales have been steady throughout, more or less)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm, some pretty depressing figures for anime fans. A $106-million drop in sales in 2010 compared to 2009? Ouchie. These figures are especially interesting to me because I got into anime in January, 2009. I've spent (as an estimate) probably around $6,000 Cdn on anime DVDs (and a few BDs most recently) since that time - clearly I'm bucking the North American trend.

Funi had a one-third share of the market back in 2008 - wonder what it is up to now?

Sad to see Evangelion 1.0 only earned a little over 100k theatrically.

And manga sales almost halved since 2007 - sigh.
Yuna53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

If you are indeed buying blurays directly from Japan, that's a good thing, you are putting money into the hands of the creators, which is always a good thing (no accounting for taste in shows, however, but that's my opinion). However, most people who buy here in America don't want to spend that much money. Anime fans here will complain about anything, even when their requests are met. Sadly, we are a very greedy people, and that, I believe is one of the problems.

It's not just the american market that's crashing either. In Japan, there have already been several studios that have closed their doors. Right now, we are getting mostly crap shows that they know will sell to otakus and hikkikomori, ie: moe shows and fanservice. Very rarely will a studio like Brian's Base or Production IG release an actual thought provoking show, and it's usually those that sell in america (even though most anime sales in america is DBZ). Especially now with the crisis in Japan, studios are only going to want to release "safe" shows, or as I like to call it, "crap". And even then, Japanese sales have been gradually declining as well. It's mostly being sustained by hikkikomori who buy every dvd release, every bluray release, and everything they can find of certain shows.

While it is true these are only numbers from the american market, keep in mind, the american market is a smaller reflection on the market in Japan.

Uh... you do realize that many Americans cant afford to import all the time. We have a life that requires bills to pay or the very means of watching anime on computers or online can be shanked if the bills aren't met. We aren't greedy, its just many cant afford spending $100 dollars or more on an import when they have to pay bills every month.

Also, its great to put money in the hands of the original creators, but buying from anime companies who actually license the anime is just as good, because not only do you support the people who spent all this time making it for you, you also support the creators because they are paid the royalties from the Anime licensor. Saying that licensors are not supporting the original creators is just ludicrous because If they weren't supporting the original creators, Then why would they be selling it in the first place? That would violate international copyright law and that company would be flat out sued and shut down.

The American market may be small for anime, but it still is a great part of the Japanese anime industry because a good portion of anime sales comes from overseas sales. Saying that it doesn't matter to the Japanese anime industry isn't true as well, its like saying that sales Overseas mean nothing to the American cartoon market. For a large industry to survive, it would require enough demand to keep it running. Loosing that demand overseas could become a very heavy loss to the industry itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6