• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax, Last Airbender Artists Sell Quake Charity Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Not really going into this honorary thing, but whether a show bombed or had a poor reception or not would have nothing to do with that argument.

Well it seems a bit silly someone would claim something is 'honory anime' (whatever that means) when the country of anime wants nothing to do with it in the first place. Confused

Like I said, that doesn't matter. A lot of anime the Japanese market doesn't want nothing to do with, like Armitage. The "honorary anime" arguments don't factor how well something does in Japan. They argue about other things. Laughing

Hey now, I've seen quite a few Armitage fans; A:TLA didn't even air half its episodes in Japan before cancellation. Armitage got quite a few OVAs and movies. Razz I dunno, the whole argument is kinda silly and missing the point, it's not like GAINAX hired them for being on Avatar though, so I don't see how this helps any kind of 'honorary anime' status, Rubio, a Pixar employee, was the one who asked his friends who just happened to work on A:TLA to be on it, not GAINAX. I'll never get Avatar fans desire for it to be seen as 'rela anime'. Anyway, cool to see more artists working for Japan charity. A Gurren Lagaan themed book is all kinds of awesome.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Not really going into this honorary thing, but whether a show bombed or had a poor reception or not would have nothing to do with that argument.

Well it seems a bit silly someone would claim something is 'honory anime' (whatever that means) when the country of anime wants nothing to do with it in the first place. Confused

Like I said, that doesn't matter. A lot of anime the Japanese market doesn't want nothing to do with, like Armitage. The "honorary anime" arguments don't factor how well something does in Japan. They argue about other things. Laughing

Hey now, I've seen quite a few Armitage fans; A:TLA didn't even air half its episodes in Japan before cancellation. Armitage got quite a few OVAs and movies. Razz

Yes, aimed less to Japan and more to the West, where it was more popular that Pioneer later hired the likes of Elizabeth Berkeley, Keifer Sutherland, and Juliette Lewis to voice the characters. They wouldn't have done that for Japan. Laughing
SatsumaPotato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GAINAX and I are trying to figure out ways to sell this book in the U.S.
They obviously had the English-speaking market in mind because they had me translate the artist profiles.

We'll try to let everyone know as soon as possible...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
For people wondering how to get this - ask anyone you know who's a doujinshi collector how they usually get them new from conventions. There are sites out there with people living in Japan who specifically take "orders" for various doujinshi available for sale at Japanese conventions - and once they get it they'll ship it to you overseas. It's how I've gotten doujinshi in the past from high in demand doujin circles that usually sell out at conventions (this probably WILL sell out). Another option too is sometimes the doujin circle will sell pre-orders out via their website, but I somehow don't get the feeling they'll be doing that for this project, unless they do one specially for overseas sellers.

Btw, the services mentioned shouldn't charge that big of a service fee outside of the cost for the doujin and shipping. Shop around.

I would be all over this doujin if it weren't Gurren Lagaan. Bleh. I just don't understand the obsession over that show. Half the mind to get it because of who's behind it - but again, being the complete opposite of a fan of the subject matter outside of the artists I can't justify taking a copy from an actual fan on top of going through the effort of getting my own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2